A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
I don't think that's true, the songs that do well in Melodifestivalen are very much connected to the general Swedish music industry. There is tons of great music out there and yet every year a handfull of acts top the charts against giants such as Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, BTS, Victor & Miriam for example.

As for you argument that ''they're only streamed because it's Melodifestivalen and only fans deep into it stream it'', that isn't true as there are always finalists who do really well in the final but who receive a lukewarm or cold reception on the streaming charts.

There has always been room for MF/Eurovision music in the ''real'' competitive arena for music: over the years we've seen and heard Alexander Rybak, Yohanna, Ivi Adamou, Lena, Eleni Foureira, Emmelie De Forrest, Dami Im, Mahmood and Duncan Lawrence on the radio and on the Spotify charts even many months after Eurovision is over for the year

Melodifestivalen is the most viewed show we have in Sweden, so obviously it impacts the charts and I never said that MF songs don't do well on charts (in particular around the period of MF), and certainly some become big hits. However if you look at the bigger picture, then most annual local hits have very little in common with your average "MF song" and if the songs in MF would have been released without the push of the show, I would bet they would do nothing.

I mean as an example you can take those MF acts that failed to have any hits outside of their MF attempts when they basically continued with that style (Måns Zelmerlöw is a good example of that), wheres the ones that completely revamped their sound and basically stopped sounding like "MF songs" suddenly got revival in their careers such as Molly Sandén and Oscar Zia for instance.

Eurovision is another topic though, it is actually quite rare that Eurovision songs become hits but it happens from time to time.

Last edited:

kamc

Surprised to see Tusse streaming more than Eric now but it will add more weight to his victory at least, even if I can’t warm to his song.

FilipFromSweden

Melodifestivalen is the most viewed show we have in Sweden, so obviously it impacts the charts and I never said that MF songs don't do well on charts (in particular around the period of MF), and certainly some become big hits. However if you look at the bigger picture, then most annual local hits have very little in common with your average "MF song" and if the songs in MF would have been released without the push of the show, I would bet they would do nothing.

I mean as an example you can take those MF acts that failed to have any hits outside of their MF attempts when they basically continued with that style (Måns Zelmerlöw is a good example of that), wheres the ones that completely revamped their sound and basically stopped sounding like "MF songs" suddenly got revival in their careers such as Molly Sandén and Oscar Zia for instance.

Eurovision is another topic though, it is actually quite rare that Eurovision songs become hits but it happens from time to time.

Sorry but Måns is a really bad example. The music he released after Heroes were very much in the same genre/style, here is how it went for some of them:

Fire In The Rain 21m streams
Walk With Me 20m streams
Happyland 19m streams
Better Now 12m streams
One 7m streams

Melodifestivalen has managed to survive all these years not because the scripts are amazing or anything but because the music has a real impact on our nation

A-lister

Veteran
Sorry but Måns is a really bad example. The music he released after Heroes were very much in the same genre/style, here is how it went for some of them:

Fire In The Rain 21m streams
Walk With Me 20m streams
Happyland 19m streams
Better Now 12m streams
One 7m streams

Melodifestivalen has managed to survive all these years not because the scripts are amazing or anything but because the music has a real impact on our nation

I've literary only heard one of the songs you mentioned :lol: , also these count total streams since release date from a guy who won Eurovision and releases stuff in English (and I assume at least attempts to have an international career and thus a larger public?). So if we take the most streamed one from the bunch, it's been out since 2016 (almost 5 years to date), now compare that to for instance Miss Li's "Komplicerad" (which was one of our biggest local hits in 2020), that one has been out for only a year, it's in Swedish and managed almost 44m streams.

Melodifestivalen is almost institutionalized in Sweden, it's become an integrated part of our culture, but I would still argue that most of the stuff we get there would do nothing if it weren't for the push from the show and thus we have acts that barely can survive without the show and songwriters who have limited success without it.

FilipFromSweden

I've literary only heard one of the songs you mentioned :lol: , also these count total streams since release date from a guy who won Eurovision and releases stuff in English (and I assume at least attempts to have an international career and thus a larger public?). So if we take the most streamed one from the bunch, it's been out since 2016 (almost 5 years to date), now compare that to for instance Miss Li's "Komplicerad" (which was one of our biggest local hits in 2020), that one has been out for only a year, it's in Swedish and managed almost 44m streams.

Melodifestivalen is almost institutionalized in Sweden, it's become an integrated part of our culture, but I would still argue that most of the stuff we get there would do nothing if it weren't for the push from the show and thus we have acts that barely can survive without the show and songwriters who have limited success without it.
Yes Miss Li is a national star, I have no idea what that has to do with Måns. I could mention 100 artists that have more streams than Miss Li. Just because someone has more streams doesn't mean 20m is little in any way. Literally everyone and their aunt is trying to become an artist today so 20m is great. Tell me someone who won Eurovision and did better in the last 10 years.

The love for Melodifestivalen is not unconditional, if the dip in quality would be too big it would lose it's status but it's been maintained due to the music's impact. It's the show that can't survive without the music and not the other way around. Ofcourse there is lots of music that wouldn't have made it without Melodifestivalen because no matter how good a song is it will practically always require some platform to launch it into popularity and Melodifestivalen is a great platform for it

A-lister

Veteran
Yes Miss Li is a national star, I have no idea what that has to do with Måns. I could mention 100 artists that have more streams than Miss Li. Just because someone has more streams doesn't mean 20m is little in any way. Literally everyone and their aunt is trying to become an artist today so 20m is great. Tell me someone who won Eurovision and did better in the last 10 years.

The love for Melodifestivalen is not unconditional, if the dip in quality would be too big it would lose it's status but it's been maintained due to the music's impact. It's the show that can't survive without the music and not the other way around. Ofcourse there is lots of music that wouldn't have made it without Melodifestivalen because no matter how good a song is it will practically always require some platform to launch it into popularity and Melodifestivalen is a great platform for it

I just picked Miss Li's song as an example of a song from from our local music scene as a comparison, of course 20m streams (in 5 years) isn't particularly bad but it still shows something that even one of the more successful MF acts struggle to compete with other Swedish acts (who don't have the same international platform) when they don't have the backup of MF to launch a song. My point is that the type of music that we associate with MF these days isn't really what is actually popular in Sweden and I still believe that without the help of MF, these songs would do nothing (maybe for established names like Måns they can do something, but even then it's nothing wow). However, if MF starts to actually reflect what's popular on our scene, then things could look differently.

I wouldn't say it's unconditional, but it's almost borderlining that, I mean we've had MF since 1958, and like I said it's so integrated in our culture that they can even get away with such editions as this year without consequences (which is a bit unfortunate because a revamp would really be needed imho).

Realest

Just read that Benjamin and Felix will perform tomorrow as Intevalacts.

Dessi

Swedes does not vote any differently from other countries, really. We vote for the songs or artists we like. And what we like may ofcourse differ from other countries but should we really be called "idiots" cause we don't vote the "right way"?

In Sweden we don't really know what's happening in the music scene in the world, so we don't have a clue what music other ESC-countries like or which Mello-song will do well in Eurovision... And that is why we have an International Jury in the final...

Well, history can tell us one thing and that is that most Swedes seems to vote a LOT just after the International jury has voted in the final, and then vote the same way...

...so it really doesn't seem too important how the Swedes vote, since they easilly will change their votes after the International jury has had its saying, just to be pleasers...

And yes, ofcourse we COULD have International jurys in the semis aswell, to get hints of what songs we ought to vote for... but is that really a good thing??? Isn't it just better that Swedes vote for the songs or artists they really like? Even if it is totally trash? A lot of music is about feelings, and in Sweden we might love the "easy songs" with recognisable easy lyrics and a lot of familiar sounds. But that is US. Why should we change just to make some of you in this forum happy? :(

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Swedes does not vote any differently from other countries, really. We vote for the songs or artists we like. And what we like may ofcourse differ from other countries but should we really be called "idiots" cause we don't vote the "right way"?

In Sweden we don't really know what's happening in the music scene in the world, so we don't have a clue what music other ESC-countries like or which Mello-song will do well in Eurovision... And that is why we have an International Jury in the final...

Well, history can tell us one thing and that is that most Swedes seems to vote a LOT just after the International jury has voted in the final, and then vote the same way...

...so it really doesn't seem too important how the Swedes vote, since they easilly will change their votes after the International jury has had its saying, just to be pleasers...

And yes, ofcourse we COULD have International jurys in the semis aswell, to get hints of what songs we ought to vote for... but is that really a good thing??? Isn't it just better that Swedes vote for the songs or artists they really like? Even if it is totally trash? A lot of music is about feelings, and in Sweden we might love the "easy songs" with recognisable easy lyrics and a lot of familiar sounds. But that is US. Why should we change just to make some of you in this forum happy? :(

Some pages ago I suggested a revamp to MF, I personally am not a big fan of the current jury, I would like to involve more expert groups (domestic ones) and leave the international jury to maybe 1-2 jury groups in total. However, I do think that in the case of MF a jury is needed to balance the local hype and fame that do impact alot of the voting (so no, it's not just about the "taste" of the voters I'm afraid). I also am not a fan of that people can continue vote after the juries tbh.

FilipFromSweden

Melodifestivalen is a party for the people, let it be and just let the people decide the finalists. Why do we need semi-final juries making some artist that lacks the support of the audience qualify to the final and place 7th or whatever? A song that fails to make it to top 4 in a semi-final should never and will never represent Sweden

A-lister

Veteran
Melodifestivalen is a party for the people, let it be and just let the people decide the finalists. Why do we need semi-final juries making some artist that lacks the support of the audience qualify to the final and place 7th or whatever? A song that fails to make it to top 4 in a semi-final should never and will never represent Sweden

A party for the people, yet mostly made up by songs not written by the most successful songwriters and with acts that mostly aren't particularly popular with "the people"... to me MF seems more like a club and we "the people" are invited once a year to see what this club thinks music should sound like and showcase the exclusive club members' songs :lol:

I do however agree that we don't need semi juries, that's not what's going to "fix" this contest...

Dessi

Some pages ago I suggested a revamp to MF, I personally am not a big fan of the current jury, I would like to involve more expert groups (domestic ones) and leave the international jury to maybe 1-2 jury groups in total. However, I do think that in the case of MF a jury is needed to balance the local hype and fame that do impact alot of the voting (so no, it's not just about the "taste" of the voters I'm afraid). I also am not a fan of that people can continue vote after the juries tbh.
But WHY do you want to "involve more expert groups"? What you are telling us is that you want to change the Swedish vote to be better? Better than what? And why does it need to be better?

A-lister

Veteran
But WHY do you want to "involve more expert groups"? What you are telling us is that you want to change the Swedish vote to be better? Better than what? And why does it need to be better?

I still want to keep it 50/50, I just think the dynamics of the current jury should be changed as firstly I don't think the current jury is particularly professional, and secondly I want MF to be more "domestic" (a bit like Sanremo in the sense that the songs should be from our music scene and to our music scene first and foremost, without Eurovision in mind). With good music and authenticity we can still succeed in Eurovision, I have no doubt about that, in fact we might do even better if it's not so manufactured.

Dessi

I still want to keep it 50/50, I just think the dynamics of the current jury should be changed as firstly I don't think the current jury is particularly professional, and secondly I want MF to be more "domestic" (a bit like Sanremo in the sense that the songs should be from our music scene and to our music scene first and foremost, without Eurovision in mind). With good music and authenticity we can still succeed in Eurovision, I have no doubt about that, in fact we might do even better if it's not so manufactured.
You still want 50% televotes and 50% jury-votes, but you want the jury to be more "professional". And then you want the the Mello to be more "domestic" a bit like San Remo.... No, I really dont understand what you want. To me you are simply saying: "The Swedes are idiots, we need a full-proof voting system to get rid of the idiots". :(

A-lister

Veteran
You still want 50% televotes and 50% jury-votes, but you want the jury to be more "professional". And then you want the the Mello to be more "domestic" a bit like San Remo.... No, I really dont understand what you want. To me you are simply saying: "The Swedes are idiots, we need a full-proof voting system to get rid of the idiots". :(

I really don't understand how you can make that conclusion when I believe the viewers should still have as much say as now? :lol:

And how is involving more domestic jury groups (making up the total jury group) saying that, when in fact it gives more power to Swedes over foreigners in our voting? xshrug

Loindici

Veteran
A party for the people, yet mostly made up by songs not written by the most successful songwriters and with acts that mostly aren't particularly popular with "the people"

And this is (sort of) my problem regarding Melodifestivalen. Not exactly because they didn't ask or let 'the most successful songwriters' submit entries, but it becomes an exclusive (if not nepotic) ground for particular songwriters.

Each Melodifestivalen in the past 5 year will at least have these names on the songwriting credits:
1. Thomas G:Son (THIS GUY)
2. Anderz Wrethov (ALSO THIS GUY)
3. Linnea Deb
4. Joy Deb
5. Bobby Ljunggren (AND THIS GUY)
6. David L. Zacharias
7. Jimmy Thornfeldt (Joker)
8. Fredrik Kempe
9. Palle Hammarlund
10. Jimmy Jansson
11. Erik Bernholm

I'm relieved I still see a lot of songs made by less frequently participating songwriters and even unheard names. However, If out of usually 2000 submission I can still find 4-5 G:Son songs on the selection or 1-2 Wrethov/ Ljunggren songs, it kind of concerns me.

Like, there's a big chance I missed some song written by the likes of
1. Noonie Bao,
2. Alex Papaconstantinou,
3. Klas Ahlund
4. Tove Lo (i really have to put her here, she's amazing)
5. Ali Payami
6. Ilya Salmanzadeh
7. Oscar Gorres
8. Shellback
and especially the king: Max Martin.
and other songwriters I've heard written for international artists.

Or maybe they're just not interested in this kind of contest and loves to work for international artist since it brings more benefit? Probably.

A-lister

Veteran
And this is (sort of) my problem regarding Melodifestivalen. Not exactly because they didn't ask or let 'the most successful songwriters' submit entries, but it becomes an exclusive (if not nepotic) ground for particular songwriters.

Each Melodifestivalen in the past 5 year will at least have these names on the songwriting credits:
1. Thomas G:Son (THIS GUY)
2. Anderz Wrethov (ALSO THIS GUY)
3. Linnea Deb
4. Joy Deb
5. Bobby Ljunggren (AND THIS GUY)
6. David L. Zacharias
7. Jimmy Thornfeldt (Joker)
8. Fredrik Kempe
9. Palle Hammarlund
10. Jimmy Jansson
11. Erik Bernholm

I'm relieved I still see a lot of songs made by less frequently participating songwriters and even unheard names. However, If out of usually 2000 submission I can still find 4-5 G:Son songs on the selection or 1-2 Wrethov/ Ljunggren songs, it kind of concerns me.

Like, there's a big chance I missed some song written by the likes of
1. Noonie Bao,
2. Alex Papaconstantinou,
3. Klas Ahlund
4. Tove Lo (i really have to put her here, she's amazing)
5. Ali Payami
6. Ilya Salmanzadeh
7. Oscar Gorres
8. Shellback
and especially the king: Max Martin.
and other songwriters I've heard written for international artists.

Or maybe they're just not interested in this kind of contest and loves to work for international artist since it brings more benefit? Probably.

This is my main concern with MF, it really feels like a bunch of "in-house" songwriters and if you look at their careers outside of the MF bubble, they aren't particularly successful, and out of the 1000s of entries sent in to MF every year, no one will make me believe these songwriters are always among the best, that's just nonsense xshrug

I mean Sweden is a Pop powerhouse, and I think Björkman in his delusion wanted MF to kinda "copy that", but for starters you need to have the right people and secondly have a more forward-thinking view since part of the Swedish music success comes with that we have so many talents who were pushing Pop forward, not just doing the same old stuff. The problem with MF isn't that it's commercially leaning, it's rather that it is not going with the times.

But even if we look more domestically and not at all those songwriters/producers that are internationally successful, we have a bunch of talented and locally successful people, but I don't see them in MF either.

I am not sure if they don't want to take part, or what the deal is, maybe the most successful ones don't need MF but then again they are working from behind the scenes, it's not the same as a popular artist "risking" their career or reputation or whatever, so I still think some of them could consider contributing to MF, at least the bunch who aren't necessarily internationally leaning but more focused domestically.

I bims

Veteran
That is what most people don't really take into consideration. It's easier said then done to involve the biggest names in the local music industry. Especially as long as eurovision is attached to it.

Eurovision is a huge risk, you don't want to be the one that flopped in front of a huge international audience. And you don't want to be the one who wrote that flop. That could ruin a career.

A-lister

Veteran
That is what most people don't really take into consideration. It's easier said then done to involve the biggest names in the local music industry. Especially as long as eurovision is attached to it.

Eurovision is a huge risk, you don't want to be the one that flopped in front of a huge international audience. And you don't want to be the one who wrote that flop. That could ruin a career.

I think the risk is more for the artist though that is the "face" of the product. But again if MF would change its focus and be more a contest to showcase the Swedish music scene and push that (again I will mention Sanremo as it's the best example), and think less of Eurovision, then I think the contest will be more "respected" by the industry.

You need to understand that MF is still a big deal locally, so especially if you're a songwriter that work mostly with local artists, you can still gain from entering MF. I don't see it as a "loss affair", again the songwriters aren't the "faces" of the songs.

Top Bottom