Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
As far as I understood this is one swedish MP who is collecting signitures for a removal. Knowing the mechanisms in the european parliament this is quite unlikely to have any impact... It‘s not an initiative by one of the powerful fractions, there is no diplomacy involved. Looks to me rather as an effort to draw attention to the problem with Belarus than actually removing them from the contest. but we‘ll see.

Actually, the MP is from the largest fraction EPP and is trying to gain signatures within this fraction first and there might be a snowball effect to other fractions. In the European Parliament, the biggest "supporters" of Lukashenko are found in the left fraction that didn't even want to put sanctions on Belarus in the first place, thankfully this is not the majority of the parliament.

But yeah, I doubt EBU will care in the end of the day but who knows? After all active EBU members are mostly countries from the European Union and the national broadcasters are under the national governments that ultimately are under the European Union, so EU has more say in these broadcasters' business than EBU for sure.

A-lister

Veteran
I sadly believe Belarus will be forced withdraw but I agree lets see....
Yes, wouldn't it be sad that a dictator regime that is torturing and imprison its people can't use one of the world's largest platforms to whitewash their image? xshrug

Mimmon

Veteran
Yes, wouldn't it be sad that a dictator regime that is torturing and imprison its people can't use one of the world's largest platforms to whitewash their image? xshrug
Quoting Rein Aleksander ''Let put politics behind'' but I think its right thing to do I guess to remove them.
Also Im here just for music and Eurovison but you can't escape the drama and politics

Sammy

Veteran
Actually, the MP is from the largest fraction EPP and is trying to gain signatures within this fraction first and there might be a snowball effect to other fractions. In the European Parliament, the biggest "supporters" of Lukashenko are found in the left fraction that didn't even want to put sanctions on Belarus in the first place, thankfully this is not the majority of the parliament.

But yeah, I doubt EBU will care in the end of the day but who knows? After all active EBU members are mostly countries from the European Union and the national broadcasters are under the national governments that ultimately are under the European Union, so EU has more say in these broadcasters' business than EBU for sure.
Of course she‘s part of a fraction, but her initiative seema to be her personal project, or is she speaking officially in behalf of the fraction? I don‘t know, why you bring in „the left“, doesn‘t seem to have anything to do with this specific initiative. The right is traditionally fond of Putin and left fractions such as the greens are very critical against both Lukashenko and Putin, so...
But we‘re getting off topic here.

I think the initiative of this woman is a very sincere and honorable action to draw once again attention to the problematic situation in Belarus, but as I said, it‘s not likely that Belarus will be excluded from this years ESC because of it.

A-lister

Veteran
Of course she‘s part of a fraction, but her initiative seema to be her personal project, or is she speaking officially in behalf of the fraction? I don‘t know, why you bring in „the left“, doesn‘t seem to have anything to do with this specific initiative. The right is traditionally fond of Putin and left fractions such as the greens are very critical against both Lukashenko and Putin, so...
But we‘re getting off topic here.

I think the initiative of this woman is a very sincere and honorable action to draw once again attention to the problematic situation in Belarus, but as I said, it‘s not likely that Belarus will be excluded from this years ESC because of it.

Well, personal project or not, she is trying to have her colleagues from the largest fraction in the parliament to sign onto this, so if she's lucky with this "project", it might actually have an effect. I mentioned it more to show where the fractions stand on the particular issue and that the majority believe in sanctions on Belarus and potentially might sign onto this, and you're actually incorrect, the leftist group is one of the bigger supporter of Putin and Russia actually. What you refer to as "right", you probably mean national conservatives? They are kinda split on the issue, however actual right parties (= liberals, conservatives) are often anti Putin and Lukashenko. Yeah it's kinda off-topic, but it's an interesting dynamic to see who would potentially jump on the bandwagon and support the idea of Lukashenko TV being banned from ESC and who wouldn't, I think it's good for ESC fans to know where their representatives stand on this issue.

We will see, I think you're correct though that in the end of the day nothing will come out of this but who knows xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
Quoting Rein Aleksander ''Let put politics behind'' but I think its right thing to do I guess to remove them.
Also Im here just for music and Eurovison but you can't escape the drama and politics

Well, I think idealism is honorable, but not when people are literary tortured and unlawfully imprisoned en masse, and some even killed, exiled and "disappearing", it's kinda hard to look the other way and only be "here for the music" (as much as we want it to only be about that in the end of the day Eurovision is more political than we want it to be, and again is it ethical to have this complicit broadcaster use a mega platform like Eurovision to whitewash their image or not?). It is kind of disturbing even when we as fans are more concerned about entertainment than human rights.

There are many "problematic" regimes in Eurovision already, and Belarus has been for the whole time but now they really crossed the line. I'm not saying that EBU should play some sort of police here, and I agree with you that ideally all European countries will take part (I always say the more the merrier), so it's not about starting to ban one country after the other based on some loose definitions, but in this case it's very blatant and I think one needs to put their head deep in the sand to not see this.

EscGeek

Veteran
@Mrm what's so shocking? :ROFLMAO:

don't worry, i still have chakras on my radar, but 30 seconds of operatic snippet just can't match the two girls and a party song

Top Bottom