Regardez moi enfin et mes yeux et mes mains
Tout c'que j'ai est ici, c'est ma gueule c'est mon cri
Me voilà, me voilà, me voilà
Voilà, voilà, voilà, voilà
Voilà​

Last edited by a moderator:

HayashiM

Veteran
Looking at your explanation, it seems this system is more of trying to adjust the power of televoters so that we can prevent a Bilal's situation? But what if the winner of the televote is truly what the masses want (ie. not someone with a mass following but genuinely a song that is well-liked by the general public)? We all know juries can be pretty F up with their votes too.

From the current system, the distribution of the votes seem to favour the jury side more than the public one since the limit of the top jury song can get is 120 points, but the top televote song can get is 100 points.
Therefore, using the current results as an example, the top jury song but got 2nd place in the televote will win the contest eventually instead of the one winning the televote but placed second in the jury vote.
I think it will be a better or fairer system if they allocate the televote points based on the percentages of the votes received.

"The distribution of the votes seem to favour the jury side more than the public one since there is no limit on how much the top jury song can get in terms of points, but there is a cap to the top televote song can get." Imo, you could award the televote winner directly 120 points of course, which is the jurypoints cap (that's pretty much never going to be actually achieved in the juryvote, but whatever). I don't think that's a bad solution, but I still like what's actually going on here better, let me explain.

I see you think the televote winner cap is 100 points, but I don't think so, I don't think the exact number of televote points distribution had been fixed before the show. The point of my first post is to show that this new system is designed so as to determine the televote cap to be as close to the juries top scorer as possible, and not necessarily under it. The two are always going to be in the same area, give or take some 4 points, and the televote winner can even get more points than the jury winner. Had Barbara received 120 points from the juries yesterday, she would've also got 120 from the televote. Had it been 106 from the juries, there definitely are configurations where that means 110 from the televote. So I don't agree this favours the jury side, on the contrary, it really is designed to make things more balanced.

Last edited:

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed, this duet is the one thought to host next JESC.
Laurence is a host and comedian and freaking funny. She became iconic hosting the Weakest Link. xheat
le-maillon-faible-e40673.jpg

BTW she rooted for Amui because she has a Tahitian husband.
laurence-boccolini-et-son-mari-b.jpg
Her husband xheat xheat

crashworld

Veteran
I see you think the televote winner cap is 100 points, but I don't think so, I don't think the exact number of televote points distribution had been fixed before the show.

Do we know it's not capped? Because it seems like it is though, like how coincidence that everything is in denomination of 10s?

HayashiM

Veteran
Looking at your explanation, it seems this system is more of trying to adjust the power of televoters so that we can prevent a Bilal's situation? But what if the winner of the televote is truly what the masses want (ie. not someone with a mass following but genuinely a song that is well-liked by the general public)? We all know juries can be pretty F up with their votes too.

From the current system, the distribution of the votes seem to favour the jury side more than the public one since the limit of the top jury song can get is 120 points, but the top televote song can get is 100 points.
Therefore, using the current results as an example, the top jury song but got 2nd place in the televote will win the contest eventually instead of the one winning the televote but placed second in the jury vote.
I think it will be a better or fairer system if they allocate the televote points based on the percentages of the votes received.

Of course, I find the question of genuine televote favourites x instagram stars quite valid (still gutted for Chakras, ehm, ehm). But I very much dislike the idea of just proportionally awarding televote points nevertheless, because now there is no cap for the televote whatsoever - and I think that this disbalance is actually the worse one.
From my perspective, instead of overpowering the televote, the way to go in a NF is to possibly enlarge the jurypanel, and most of all, to invite a balanced mix of relevant music professionals into it (so no eurovision bloggers, and also no overly young / old / male / female / jazzy / pop / insert_genre panels) - which I think was quite the case yesterday.

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
Do we know it's not capped? Because it seems like it is though, like how coincidence that everything is in denomination of 10s?

Once again, that is the point of my first post. I think the way to determine televote points is something along the way of "the nth televote placer gets nth juryvote placer's points, rounded to the nearest 10 denomination, while still ensuring the overall televote points sum is equal to the one of the juryvotes". I don't know the exact algorithm and I don't know 100% of course that that is what is really happening here.
But I think it is, amongst others because the distribution is 10-20-30-sudden jump to 50-60-70-80-bigger jump to 100. You have three groups Barbara-the middle-the bottom for both jury and telepoints.
Had the distribution been predetermined, we would rather get something like 10-20-30-40-50-70-90-110.

Last edited:

MalagaToledo

Banned
I gave this song 1 point just because it was such a strong fan favourite and everyone including jurry put it in 1st place, so when I heard it yesterday for the first time, i was shocked how mega boring this song is. 2/3 of the song made me fall asleep.

Nothing happens, Instruments and melody and chorus everything needs to be bigger. There is no explosion, No nothing. She sings nice, but is repetitive, the naration, her standing alone in dark background. No, sorry. Not for me. Its not competitive Song and is very boring.

On esc it will be on the bottom unfortunately.

Ezio

Veteran
Gjon's Tears' song just leaked. It is called Voici and is very sad and boring jury bait.

/me when I lie

crashworld

Veteran
Once again, that is the point of my first post. I think the way to determine televote points is something along the way of "the nth televote placer gets nth juryvote placer's points, rounded to the nearest 10 denomination, while still ensuring the overall televote points sum is equal to the one of the juryvotes". I don't know the exact algorithm and I don't know 100% of course that that is what is really happening here.
But I think it is, amongst others because the distribution is 10-20-30-sudden jump to 50-60-70-80-bigger jump to 100. You have three groups Barbara-the middle-the bottom for both jury and telepoints.
Had the distribution been predetermined, we would rather get something like 10-20-30-40-50-60-70-85-100.

Ah.. Now I see what you are saying.
I have a very strong impression that the points in the televote system is already pre-determined. Like the top place will only get 100 points, 2nd place gets 80 points and so on, with a total cap of 420 points (same as the jury), so it's not influenced by the number of points by the corresponding placing the entry got in the jury side.

ESC94

Voilá, here are the first :12: of the season for me!!

I have to admit that I didn´t listen all that much to the songs before, because I wnated to surprise myself. And even though I sometimes have problems with music in French, this song really got immediately. It has a very beautiful melody and arrangement, and she performs it in such a charming way, there´s basically no way for me to not like this.

Merci beacoup :fr: for sendng this great song after the piece of garbage last year. I don´t know where this entry will end in the final, but for me this is a huge bop!! :love:xclap

Loindici

Veteran
BTW @Mrm you gotta root for Barbara as her real name is Barbara Pievic, as her father is Serbian ! :D

Can we expect :12: from Serbia to France this year? xqueenbitch

HayashiM

Veteran
Ah.. Now I see what you are saying.
I have a very strong impression that the points in the televote system is already pre-determined. Like the top place will only get 100 points, 2nd place gets 80 points and so on, with a total cap of 420 points (same as the jury), so it's not influenced by the number of points by the corresponding placing the entry got in the jury side.

Yeah, I think that the predetermination is possible, but in that case I am really surprised by them placing that big gap exactly between 30 and 50 points. It just doesn't make much sense, the I dare say usual approach would be to put big gaps in points towards the top and not in the middle.

Loindici

Veteran
Yeah, I think that the predetermination is possible, but in that case I am really surprised by them placing that big gap exactly between 30 and 50 points, it just doesn't make much sense, the I dare say usual approach would be to put big gaps in points towards the top and not in the middle.

Excuse me for joining, but could they determine the televotes by proportion and round them to the nearest 10s in the fairest way? As example probably Barbara got 25% of the vote which makes her televote 105, but rounded to 100 to help LMK which probably got <2% votes and would not get more than 10 points in a normal televote scoring.

mauve

Veteran
Voilá, here are the first :12: of the season for me!!

I have to admit that I didn´t listen all that much to the songs before, because I wnated to surprise myself. And even though I sometimes have problems with music in French, this song really got immediately. It has a very beautiful melody and arrangement, and she performs it in such a charming way, there´s basically no way for me to not like this.

Merci beacoup :fr: for sendng this great song after the piece of garbage last year. I don´t know where this entry will end in the final, but for me this is a huge bop!! :love:xclap

Finally we agree again! :ROFLMAO:

crashworld

Veteran
Excuse me for joining, but could they determine the televotes by proportion and round them to the nearest 10s in the fairest way? As example probably Barbara got 25% of the vote which makes her televote 105, but rounded to 100 to help LMK which probably got <2% votes and would not get more than 10 points in a normal televote scoring.

But it wouldn't be that accurate as we all know one point is crucial (as seen from the Swedish NF last year).

Anyway, please see the odds of the NF before the show. LOL at the no 2 to no 5 songs got eliminated in the first round.
This shows that 'live' performance and staging plays a huge part.
fntehgtozje61.png

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran

That's plausible for me as well. :) But still, I think the pattern of both juries and televotes having three clearly separated groups, in both cases centered around the same points, statistically looks just too good to be explained by a coincidence with predetermined distribution :)

removes the tinfoil hat now

Top Bottom