Contact us

Pre-recorded backing vocals to be allowed in 2021

FoxOfShadows

Pre recorded vocals will be allowed as an option for all countries next year. This cannot include lead vocals or "lead-dub". The backing vocals can contain as singers as the delegation wants. For now, this is just a trial for 2021 and will be reviewed after the contest

Brandt

"In 2013 and 2016, when I was Executive Producer for the Contest at SVT in Sweden, we implemented changes to how the running order of songs is chosen and later the way the voting is presented," explained Martin. "Both of these adaptions to one of TV’s oldest entertainment formats helped to create a more exciting show for viewers."

Um...... debatable.....

No, The ESC Reference Group agreed to trial the rule change for one year. As with all the rules for the Eurovision Song Contest it will be reviewed following next year’s event.

Swedenvision, Melodifestivalen 2.0, whatever you call it, Eurovision is not in good hands.

We believe allowing backing vocals to be pre-recorded increases the creative potential and diversity of acts and facilitates modernization of the Eurovision Song Contest. It also allows songwriters and producers to present their work as close as possible to their original composition. The change also provides the flexibility for participating broadcasters to minimize the size of their delegations, thus saving costs.

Very weak explanation. Then why don't we just play music videos like this year's special show did and vote based on them if the main concern is "potential and diversity of acts", "presenting their work as close as possible to their original composition" and "saving the delegation costs"?

Sammy

Veteran
We have seen on so many occasions how backing vocals have been used to mask poor vocal capacities of the singer. If the backing vocals can be prerecorded now, the quality of the singer may become even less important - not a good development in my opinion.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

Zonne147

What a terrible decision that no doubt was pushed and will strongly benefit the Nordics. Where is the new EBU supervisor from again? ...... Oh right Sweden. xcookie A Nordic country. Go figure.

I like Nordics and every single Norwegian/Swedish song in a while, but I'm also starting to find their executive supremacy a bit avoidable and unnecessary... I believe there are hundreds of competent people from every single part of Europe. They have been doing a good job though, let's admit that.

But not here, I don't agree with this decision in any possible way, for the reasons you have all stated. And come on, this has also nothing to do with the virus, since each delegation has still the option to decide. I want to believe that most of them will decide to bring backing vocals, it's much easier to make necessary adjustments.

Let's hope this is a temporary move, or at least that delegations don't get into this... But this is a very personal thing, I'm definitely against that since I couldn't really see myself enjoying and getting goosebumps from some recent live performances with pre-recorded backing vocals... They would become less genuine, for me...

@njdevils94 can you imagine Ktheju Tokes with pre-recorded backing vocals? :cry:

Swedenvision

I think this is a good decision and don't understand the problem? I mean it's only the backing vocals that will be pre-recorded.

This has been successful in Melodifestivalen and will incresse the overall quality in ESC as well.

Next change should be to allow up to 8 persons on the stage. :)

Uto

Veteran
I think this is a good decision and don't understand the problem? I mean it's only the backing vocals that will be pre-recorded.

This has been successful in Melodifestivalen and will incresse the overall quality in ESC as well.

The vocal execution of a song is deemed a necessary part of the skills a performer should have for ESC. For the backing this is no different, they are an integral part of the performance. This change would lead to the bar being lowered and many don't like that. Your claim about quality being raised is raising an eyebrow instead. You simply need to be able to produce the goods live on stage, that skill on display is what defines a large part of the quality. Not having that makes the potential quality drop.

MalagaToledo

Banned
No! Don't like favorising of particular country, don't like fake instruments, don't like lip sync. Eurovision is not what it used to be unfortunately. Thumbs down. I thought they would bring back live orchestra or reduce jurry power to 40%. Not this nonsense. (n)(n)(n)(n)

MalagaToledo

Banned
Also, what's the point of jurry points and even televote votes if we can't judge based on live performance. Maybe someone sounded that night really bad, but we are gonna judge based on studio pre recorded version. Wtf? Osterdahl and bjorkman??? Wtf

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Humm... what would be the point of having live performances if half the vocals are pre-recorded ?
Some might say it's only the backing vocals but imo it's already a huge part as some entries rely heavily on them (and not just to hide a weaker lead vocal). And just because it's already used in MF doesn't mean it's a good idea.
I guess our opinion depends on whether we favor a neater result or a more authentic one...

randajad

Veteran
I am not that mad, but I think it should be discussed on the case to case basis. Like Norway 2017 with all those effects and all should be allowed, but Serbia 2018 or Albania 2019 would be totally weird imo. Also live music should/could be allowed in the same way if the artist wants to play live instruments or play them live alongside the prerecorded music. And tbh, I don’t care about logistics since it is not my job to think about that. xheat

Loindici

Veteran
It's bullsh-. Osterdahl seems to love monopolizing the contest. Jon Ola would never.

Even I was a 'song contest' purist before and I don't like this idea -- I'm changing my stance. Aside of being a 'song contest', ESC is a live event. I have to remind you, our lovely contest is originally based on SanRemo, which is running on live vocals and mini-orchestra. Now, aside of meeting the new demand of music by looking futuristic and award show-esque, don't get tricked -- no backing vocals caters the biggest weigh of the competition to the performances, which I don't like: whoever can produce the most technically perfected performance will get an advantage. The song 's capacity ain't important.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but it seems to push the agenda that Nordic festivals, or specifically Melodifestivalen, is the mainstream normal. This idea of normalizing Nordic-ness sounds tasteless to me.

Top Bottom