17 🇨🇭 SWITZERLAND | 18 🇩🇰 DENMARK

exlAhQP.png

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE ENTIRE PLAYLIST

x71Xv15.png

THE RESULTS

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainshow

Veteran
Let's not pretend that overrated fan favourites diva/camp entries cannot perform well in Eurovision as well, e.g. Cyprus 2018, Norway 2019, Russia 2007,etc.

I agree that some choices in Semi 2 are questionable + that juries in real life would probably make Finland and maybe Austria happen (but there's no way that any of them would be placed. TOP 10 amongst the televoting).
Also, we are all fans and despite some trying to be "objective" in the jury vote, we still can televote for fan favourites whilst the general public and especially the "mommy vote" are absent from this game.

Czech Republic is the biggest surprise/loser her. I think that it's a surefire qualifier since it's special and he's very capable and charming on stage. However, I think that releasing 4 versions of the songs + not seeing him perfom live (like in Vidbir) destroyed his chances on this forum.

Mainshow

Veteran
Also, last year in Eurovision, the juries voted for North Macedonia and Sweden - vocally impressive but lyrically and composition-wise non-original entries, very formulaic without any originality.

The televote went for cheesy, cringe-worthy, camp and trashy.

It's not like the juries went for the most complex and original entries like Albania, Georgia, Portugal either.

Of course, there are some disparities and differences to "real life Eurovision" but about from a very few choices (like Finland, Czech Republic, maybe Austria), I don't think that our result is that far-fetched from the actual one.

I mean, even San Marino and Belarus did qualify in reality last year and the juries did place Greece's "This Is love" higher than "Blackbird" back in 2017.

Ezio

Veteran
So, you basically agree with my assessment although your intonate is if you don't. I concede Estonia was far-fetched. However, so was Lithuania 2013. The male soloist gets a pass more easily at the actual contest, not always for the right reasons.

Ezio

Veteran
Well I am super happy about one country in particular. But won't spoil my jury and sms votes.

Yeah, c'mon give us the T, hunty! I know it's Austria not qualifying. I can sense all that Swiss schadenfreude though my closed window! But you know what. In 2021, il pleut de l'or! Because we want gold, we want to be covered in gold, we want a golden shower!!

gingerale

Yeah, c'mon give us the T, hunty! I know it's Austria not qualifying. I can sense all that Swiss schadenfreude though my closed window! But you know what. In 2021, il pleut de l'or! Because we want gold, we want to be covered in gold, we want a golden shower!!

Well you can get your golden shower when we reveal those jury votes. Maybe you feel guilty about your accusations then.

Ezio

Veteran
Well you can get your golden shower when we reveal those jury votes. Maybe you feel guilty about your accusations then.

I wouldn't wet myself for Alive though :_(

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
As we could see recent years, Czech Republic could qualify with either massive support by juries (2016, 2019) or being super fan favorite like 2018 which can qualify without diaspora/neighbor voting. This year I don't see any of the groups would go with this song high and I am sure it would not qualify.

Personally I usually like such kind of songs but particularly this one feels like it lasts 10 minutes and bores me

Ezio

Veteran
I won't do ad hominems for disagreeing, although I think you are wrong on some points. However, statements like this really do beg the question who you go all in on the arrogance.

Ok cool, calling me arrogant is not ad hominem then. Noted for my own use of words later on.

DenizESC

Banned
I don't get why this is needed.

Personally, I will miss Czech Republic a lot and I could also see after a few listens why some people enjoy something like Finland even though that is simply not my cup of tea in music, it also took a while for me to see it. It's understandable to be disappointed to see your faves miss out but it also...happens.

Krishoes

San Marino out is the real crime of this semifinal. I think that the use of the whip and the shirtless dancers ruined the destiny of this song, which otherwise would have solidly won the jury vote and gave the first victory to the tiny nation next to the province of Rimini. Carlo Romeo would have finally stopped getting angry, saving a lot of money in gastric protectors, thus contributing to a recovery of San Marino's GDP. We will miss you forever Sen-HIT.

A tribute to professional juries:

Why do you want me to sing like an Italian?
Why do you want me to produce songs like a Swede?
Why do you want me to stage like a Russian?
Take me as I am, I am San Marino, (bleep)!

Uto

Veteran
Ok cool, calling me arrogant is not ad hominem then. Noted for my own use of words later on.
Can you even read? I call your statement arrogant, not you, although conflating those is understandable. More important is that I make clear that the perceived ad hominem is aimed not at your opinions at hand.

FilipFromSweden

hijirio

Veteran
Also, since when real Eurovision results are the standard criteria of whether a song is worthy or not? Personally I fancy the taste of people on this board much more than the actual results. The fact that Finland, Austria or Czechia would qualify in the real contest doesn't label them as better entries than say female divas with camp. It only goes to show that people on this board serve a better taste than the current system Eurovision has (aka juries who vote solely based on voice and televoters who vote solely on first impression).

DenizESC

Banned
It only goes to show that people on this board serve a better taste than the current system Eurovision has (aka juries who vote solely based on voice and televoters who vote solely on first impression).
Oh, that's a very good point actually.

Like I will never get over the crime that was Igranka missing out on the final!! #RIOTFOREVER

hijirio

Veteran
Oh, that's a very good point actually.

Like I will never get over the crime that was Igranka missing out on the final!! #RIOTFOREVER

blows my mind thinking Montenegrin army has still not occupied EBU headquarters after these 7 years....

YehonatanCohen

ESCunited team you are THE BEST!
Thanks for a fantastic show last night. The production of the show was amazing, seriously, I really liked it especially the little graphics of the names of the countries and songs, that was really cool. This semi final shows we can learn from past mistakes and make an even better final, and that semi would be tough to follow.
Anyway, Just wanted to thank you for yet another memorable show (which I seems to be the only one who actually enjoy it's full results) and I can't wait to see you all in the grand final.
Love you all, stay safe and stay at homexheart

HayashiM

Veteran
As we could see recent years, Czech Republic could qualify with either massive support by juries (2016, 2019) or being super fan favorite like 2018 which can qualify without diaspora/neighbor voting. This year I don't see any of the groups would go with this song high and I am sure it would not qualify.

Personally I usually like such kind of songs but particularly this one feels like it lasts 10 minutes and bores me

The "7 points for Czechia" moment from the finals often gets interpreted as "the juries had to push Czechia to get into the finals", but it is not true. In 2019's semifinal, we had been 6th in the televote and 2nd overall. *Insert a very angry rant about Bjorkman unfairly screwing us with the final's running order for the second time in a row*

As much as I expected our NQ in this game (thank you very much for the organisation, once again!), I would see our chances very differently for the real thing. I don't think the perspective of ":cz: has to pretty much top the juries/televotes to qualify" is correct. We can easily do above average with both, all the diaspora issues be damned.

Another thing to consider is the understandable general fatigue of (not only) this forum with all the Kemama revamps, as has been pointed out already. But the casual viewer is different. Based on the generally positive and much improving opinion right after the Vidbir performance (which is the only relevant live version to base our predictions on), I still believe Benny would've sold the song live as an uptempo party song. There aren't many songs of that kind in this semi. I don't say he'd suddenly become a huge fan favourite like Lie to Me, but a 6-7th televote placement (in the semi) would've been entirely plausible.

Alltogether, I don't say Benny would 100% qualify, but he'd have a very decent shot. The pre-cancellation odds also see us as borderline, placing Czechia around 9-11th place together with Finland and Latvia (not that that would be a very important indicator, but it remains a good argument against dismissing our chances entirely).

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Can you even read?

there you again, another note for me. being labeled arrogant does not sound like an insult to me at all. It is still an (ineffective) ad hominem attack and a contradiction to the things you wouldn’t do.

DaFlo

Banned
One of :cz: :at: would've qualified for sure in Eurovision, judging by Benny's Vidbir performance I would say him.

:fi: is lowkey a lock to me, and :gr: probably would've made it as well instead of :lv: :ge: (idk how any jury could put these two high) and either :al: or :rs:

Top Bottom