Contact us

Best and worst ESC entries of your home country

LastDreamer

Banned
just like that pretty blonde lady who sang „A message to your heart“ ... oh wait, I think this is my favourite UK entry until J2 happened...

midnightsun

Veteran
Such gems! Birgitta - Open your heart; Catcat - Bye bye baby :love: all songs that were in my top 3 in their years. And many more! You have a rather unusual taste (like myself) although you also dismiss a lot of songs I like or vice versa:cool:

But, on a more general note... interesting to read how a lot of members like songs of their own country that others don’t. That would explain why national finals are not always successful. The taste of a whole country is often different from what the Eurovision audience from all over Europe prefers.

Ezio

Veteran
Worst:
2007 - Ven a Bailar Conmigo

One of my guiltiest pleasures of all time. I made up my own lyrics "Después haber comido". It's a song only for adults, not for Eurovision.

Zonne147

Only from 2010:

:pt: Portugal

BEST

1 Salvador Sobral - "Amar Pelos Dois"
2017 (personal & universal thing. I feel it. Words unneeded)
2 Suzy - "Quero Ser Tua" 2014 (We should have qualified this year. As a "pimba" disliker I like this song very much)

3 Conan Osíris - "Telemóveis" 2019 (Very original and experimental, the whole thing didn't work in stage and understandable non-qualification)
4 Leonor Andrade - "Há um mar que nos separa" 2015 (I really like the verses but the chorus is a big miss. Totally deserved failure in a strong year)
5 Filipa Sousa - "Vida Minha" 2012 (This song could be way better explored, I see the potential but the whole thing wasn't enough)
6 Elisa - "Medo de Sentir" 2020 - (Same as 2015 - lack of appeal everywhere, quite beautiful melody but not competitive)
7 Homens da Luta - "A Luta é Alegria" 2011 (Europe didn't understand this entry. Anyway this should be seen as a trolling act, because it was. This has its impact on me though due to our situation in 2011)

WORST

8 Cláudia Pascoal - "O Jardim"
2018 (Very flat and deserved result at the end, Europe had much better options to vote for)
9 Filipa Azevedo - "Há Dias Assim" 2010 (I don't dislike this song, tbh I don't hate any of our songs, I think it's a beautiful ballad but I can't get into it)

Honorable mentions: 1966, 1979, 1996, 2009

Lúcia Moniz - "O meu coração não tem cor" 1996 - Our best result until 2017. No one here cares for this but this is way better than songs RTP hype every year in FdC, like 1989, 1982, 1969 overrated songs that deserved what they got - bottom places. Along with 2017, 1996 is my favorite Portuguese entry ever.

dungyllan1804

Best: Brotherhood of Man (1976), Frances Ruffelle (1994), Katrina and the Waves (1997), Imaani (1998)
Worst: SCOOCH, ALWAYS SCOOCH (and Jemini, and Josh Dubovie)
Generally I'm ok with our entries, I rarely get angry cos they're bad or anything

MrLordi

Best: 2006 Lordi Hard Rock Hallelujah(best song in the history of eurovision, europe, the world, of mankind ever.)
Worst: 2015: Pertti kurikan nimipäivät Aina mun pitää( honestly wtf is this)

Lance Esgard

BEST: Kate Miller-Heidke, Zero Gravity (2019): It isn't the best song in my opinion, but it is to me Australia's best Eurovision package to date. It just got Eurovision and was authentic to the artist in a deeper way instead of just going for the jury vote as Aussie entries have outside of Jessica Mauboy, who had a song that didn't stand out enough and failed to execute vocally (to be fair to her, it was partly because she overworked on the promo tour).

WORST: Isaiah Firebrace, Don't Come Easy (2017): It didn't get the worst result but I think musically it was the worst entry Australia has sent. It was too slick and polished that it lacked any real human connection and had a big vocal error to boot.

Iker

Veteran
For :pl:
Best
1. 1997 Ale Jestem
2. 1994 To nie ja
3. 1996 Chcę znać swój grzech
Honorable mentions: 1995 Sama, 2014 My Słowianie (easily the best Polish entry in 21st century so far). I have our first four entries were all awesome and remain iconic to me. And all four females representing us made a big career in Poland soon after representing us at the ESC!
Worst
1. 2001 Too Long
2. 2009 I don't wanna leave
3. 2011 Jestem (studio was a bop though but that live was horrenduous, but I know there were technical issues)

Iker

Veteran
:cz:
Best:
2009, Gipsy.cz - Aven Romale
(since our re-joining the contest: 2018 Mikolas Josef - Lie To Me)

Worst:
2008, Tereza Kerndlová - Have Some Fun
(2017, Martina Bárta - My Turn or the studio version of 2019, Lake Malawi - Friend of a Friend)

in general, we've been sending rather middle-of-the-road songs - not terrible but not that great either
Wow, you like Aven Romale, this is actually edgy as almost everyone hated it, and it also finished with 0 points in the semi-final. But I agree that Kerndlova was terrible.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
best: :lv: 2018 - Laura Rizotto - Funny Girl
worst: :mt: 1996 - Miriam Christine - In A Woman's Heart

whew. so hard to rank the two entries performed by brazilian singers.

Etanna

Wow, you like Aven Romale, this is actually edgy as almost everyone hated it, and it also finished with 0 points in the semi-final. But I agree that Kerndlova was terrible.
They're actually a really good band and they've done so much good for the Romany people in my country. Unfortunately, they didn't choose a very Eurovision-friendly song + the performance was too much. They should have toned down their style for the occasion :D I still like the song but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if I wasn't familiar with their style & message...

Top Bottom