The Eurovision 2020 Online Dates

Semi-Final 1: Wednesday, 8 April 2020
Semi-Final 2: Friday, 10 April 2020
Final: Saturday, 25 April 2020

The voting in the Semi-Finals:
from 23 March to 5 April (2 weeks)
The voting for in the Final:
from 11 April to 19 April (9 days)​

In order to keep the Eurovision spirit alive and well, we intend to hold a full vote of our community here on the forum and enjoy what could have happened in May.

The Rules

The Jury

APPLY HERE TO BE A JUROR

1. Every country's jury has 5 members. Anyone can join a jury before it is complete.

2. As a member of jury you can only take part from the country you are from. If your country has reached the 5 members max, you can still take part but you will be allocated to one of the countries listed in rule 3 (below).

3. If you are from a country outside of the participants of 2020 (USA, Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey etc) then you can take part from countries with very few or no members, these include:

• Iceland
  • Belarus
  • Norway
  • Czech Republic
  • Georgia
  • Malta
  • Latvia
  • Israel

4. During the voting you rank each song in the semi from 1 to 16 (if you vote in the 1st Semi-final), from 1 to 17 (if you vote in the 2nd Semi-final) not including your own country or from 1 to 17-18 (if you vote as jury of Big5 or The Netherlands), and then from 1 to 25 in the final (if your country participates) or 1 to 26 if it does not participate in the final. You must send your votes to your head of Jury.

Head of Jury

1. Each country will have 1 Head of Jury who you will send your votes to.

2. As Head of Jury, you are responsible for combing all of the ranks to create 1 set of 12, 10, 8-1 votes from the jury and then sending these votes to the main host by the specified deadline. Only be a HoJ if you’re a fully active member of the forum with time. We don’t want to be chasing the HoJ up to send votes.

3. After all 5 members cast their votes to the HOJ, the average place of each country will be counted, the highest ranked country gets 12 points and so on by Eurovision system. These points as well as the spreadsheet showing the juries full breakdown must be sent to the Eurovision account.

4. All details of your juries voting must be kept private to your jury until after the final results, or you will be disqualified. However, jurors can share how they voted with other members of their own jury. For example if you’re in the British Jury, you can show the other members of the British jury, but not the German Jury.

The Televoting

1. Every forum member can vote in the televoting of any Semifinal and/or Final.

2. As a televoter you will have 20 'SMS' votes to allocate as you wish among the songs. You cannot vote for the country you are from. You must send your 'SMS' votes to the host account Eurovision

3. All the televoting 'SMS' will be counted all together and translated (by percentage) to equal to juries number of points.

It is important to note that we intend to have a jury vote from every country. While we are hopeful we can achieve this, it does mean that should we fail to receive a jury vote from any country, we will create an aggregated jury vote for them based on the jury votes of their pot members (or the other PQ countries in the case of the big 5 + host). In the same style the EBU would in Eurovision with a disqualified jury.

❗Note that we can't predict for now how many people participate, so we can extend some rules according to situation

Last edited by a moderator:

Marite

Since we're in the Swiss jury, and Switzerland is known for being neutral and democratic, we were thinking of looking at which one of the two countries was ranked higher than the other by more jurors and then place that entry before the other, i.e. 3 people prefer country X's entry and 2 prefer country Y's, so Country X is placed above Y.

Would that be alright, or should each country follow the same guidelines?
@Eurovision in case this question was missed^^

AlekS

Veteran
If two or more songs have the same average score, how do we rank them?

13 12 2
vs
17 9 1
According to official Eurovision rules:

"Should two or more songs receive exactly the same rank from a National Jury, the order shall be ascertained by a show of hands by the members of the National Jury. If there is still a tie, the final order shall be decided by the vote of the youngest member of the National Jury".

In other words 17 9 1 will get ranked higher because 2 jury members gave it higher marks.

Realest

Btw. Eurovision uses exponential Juryvoting, but unfortunately the EBU doesnt give us the Formula.

ZoboCamel

Btw. Eurovision uses exponential Juryvoting, but unfortunately the EBU doesnt give us the Formula.

This is a topic I was thinking of asking about myself, so I'm glad to see you bring it up! While the EBU itself doesn't give us the formula, a bunch of people have tried to reverse-engineer it (I've found a Reddit post, some comments on that same post, a Wiwibloggs comment and an ESCXtra article each giving different formulas).

The most reliable one, I think, is probably from the OP of the Reddit thread, since (a) the OP says that they've tested it and found it to work for every single jury score for the last two years, (b) the weightings generated by the formula match the stated aims of the jury change (i.e. paying more attention to high scores rather than low scores to make it harder to kill songs off), and (c) the values given are a close match to this ESCInsight article, which doesn't seem to give a formula of its own but does provide a graph with similar results. The formula given by the thread is W = 12*0.827^(n-1), where n is the place that a song receives in an individual juror's rankings and W is the weighted score given by that ranking.

Plugging that formula into an Excel spreadsheet, I got this weighting for each of the ranks (shown here rounded to three decimal places):

So if a given song came, say, 13th, 4th, 2nd, 22nd and 8th with the five jurors of a given jury, it'd receive a weighted score of (1.228 + 6.887 + 9.924 + 0.222 + 3.175 = ) 21.436 with the jury. And if that weighted score is, say, the 7th highest given by that jury, then the song would receive the 7th highest amount of points (i.e. 4 points) from that jury. I think that's how it works?

Now, I haven't fully tested that formula against all of the past Eurovision results myself, and I'm not sure whether or not each HoJ would be willing to use that exponential formula when combining the results of their jurors. But it's food for thought!

EscGeek

Veteran
This weighted formula complicates things even further. :lol: I guess i'll use the official rule AlekS posted.

Can we have the universal tiebreaker rule for the final?

Uto

Veteran
This weighted formula complicates things even further. :lol: I guess i'll use the official rule AlekS posted.

Can we have the universal tiebreaker rule for the final?
This is not at all complicated though. Just enter the lists, then use the formula on them and add up the scores to see the final ranking.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
i see all examples with this formula with 26 songs, what about 17-18 as for semifinals?

Eurovision

Rotterdam 2020
Staff member
CALCULATING YOUR JURIES VOTES

To the Heads of each jury, when calculating your juries rank please use the AVERAGE as the rules state. We will not be using or accepting votes calculated exponentially. There is no concrete evidence of what exactly the scoring formula is, as well as the fact it creates issues as different countries have a different amounts to rank. For example, the PQs of semi 2 have 18 to rank, while the semi finalists of semi 1 have 16 to rank. On top of that, with many juries being made up of people of different nationalities, it complicates it further and creates an unfair playing field. We've been testing both methods in different ways all evening, and the method which has the least affect of warping the results is to use the overall average. As well as being far easier.

FAQ:
Well what happens when there is a tie?

The countries will be ranked in the order of their highest rank from any juror. Using the example below...

ffffffffffff.png

Both Czech Republic and Finland have an average of 9.4. To break the tie the country with the highest rank from any juror takes priority. So, in this example Finland would be ranked above Czech Republic as a jury ranked it 1st, whereas the Czech Republics highest rank is 5th.

HayashiM

Veteran
I know it's maybe too early to ask, but how will the results be announced? Is it just gonna be a spreadsheet thrown out in the open? Do we get an official video with results presented by Matt? Or for the finals, maybe even a full voting presentation with spokepersons announcing their points, and then someone from the usual ESC staff announcing the televotes and crushing it with a "I am very sorry, insert-a-country, zero points"? Matt telling some other presenters "all results are valid, please take it away"? :eek: :D

JamieBrown

Do we get an official video with results presented by Matt? Or for the finals, maybe even a full voting presentation with spokepersons announcing their points, and then someone from the usual ESC staff announcing the televotes and crushing it with a "I am very sorry, insert-a-country, zero points"? Matt telling some other presenters "all results are valid, please take it away"? :eek:

Yes, please xlove
Though I don't know if Matt is tooo involved in this. Afaik semi results will be revealed in a plug show, listening to the entries and then see the results.

1st SF should be on April, 7th. 2nd on 9th

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
I know it's maybe too early to ask, but how will the results be announced? Is it just gonna be a spreadsheet thrown out in the open? Do we get an official video with results presented by Matt? Or for the finals, maybe even a full voting presentation with spokepersons announcing their points, and then someone from the usual ESC staff announcing the televotes and crushing it with a "I am very sorry, insert-a-country, zero points"? Matt telling some other presenters "all results are valid, please take it away"? :eek: :D
Matt doesnt participate here, you can see from juries list

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Trece and I (mostly Trece) are running it all here, with the work with graphics etc from Sultana and Ruben (in case you wondered). We'd have liked more involvement from the admin team but unfortunately people aren't always fully available.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
From my side, i will try to make it as interesting as possible, people who know my hostings in WV should know it :ROFLMAO: my notebook has died so I had to involve more people this time to help me but we have got a great running so far

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
What happens if we don't have one of the jurors' votes by the deadline?

If 3 or more have voted, we'll use the result you have from them. 1 person failing wont make your entire jury result invalid.

Top Bottom