The Eurovision 2020 Online Dates

Semi-Final 1: Wednesday, 8 April 2020
Semi-Final 2: Friday, 10 April 2020
Final: Saturday, 25 April 2020

The voting in the Semi-Finals:
from 23 March to 5 April (2 weeks)
The voting for in the Final:
from 11 April to 19 April (9 days)​

In order to keep the Eurovision spirit alive and well, we intend to hold a full vote of our community here on the forum and enjoy what could have happened in May.

The Rules

The Jury

APPLY HERE TO BE A JUROR

1. Every country's jury has 5 members. Anyone can join a jury before it is complete.

2. As a member of jury you can only take part from the country you are from. If your country has reached the 5 members max, you can still take part but you will be allocated to one of the countries listed in rule 3 (below).

3. If you are from a country outside of the participants of 2020 (USA, Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey etc) then you can take part from countries with very few or no members, these include:

• Iceland
  • Belarus
  • Norway
  • Czech Republic
  • Georgia
  • Malta
  • Latvia
  • Israel

4. During the voting you rank each song in the semi from 1 to 16 (if you vote in the 1st Semi-final), from 1 to 17 (if you vote in the 2nd Semi-final) not including your own country or from 1 to 17-18 (if you vote as jury of Big5 or The Netherlands), and then from 1 to 25 in the final (if your country participates) or 1 to 26 if it does not participate in the final. You must send your votes to your head of Jury.

Head of Jury

1. Each country will have 1 Head of Jury who you will send your votes to.

2. As Head of Jury, you are responsible for combing all of the ranks to create 1 set of 12, 10, 8-1 votes from the jury and then sending these votes to the main host by the specified deadline. Only be a HoJ if you’re a fully active member of the forum with time. We don’t want to be chasing the HoJ up to send votes.

3. After all 5 members cast their votes to the HOJ, the average place of each country will be counted, the highest ranked country gets 12 points and so on by Eurovision system. These points as well as the spreadsheet showing the juries full breakdown must be sent to the Eurovision account.

4. All details of your juries voting must be kept private to your jury until after the final results, or you will be disqualified. However, jurors can share how they voted with other members of their own jury. For example if you’re in the British Jury, you can show the other members of the British jury, but not the German Jury.

The Televoting

1. Every forum member can vote in the televoting of any Semifinal and/or Final.

2. As a televoter you will have 20 'SMS' votes to allocate as you wish among the songs. You cannot vote for the country you are from. You must send your 'SMS' votes to the host account Eurovision

3. All the televoting 'SMS' will be counted all together and translated (by percentage) to equal to juries number of points.

It is important to note that we intend to have a jury vote from every country. While we are hopeful we can achieve this, it does mean that should we fail to receive a jury vote from any country, we will create an aggregated jury vote for them based on the jury votes of their pot members (or the other PQ countries in the case of the big 5 + host). In the same style the EBU would in Eurovision with a disqualified jury.

❗Note that we can't predict for now how many people participate, so we can extend some rules according to situation

Last edited by a moderator:

dogmeat

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with people voting for their country of origin in the first place. We all sometimes like and sometimes dislike entries from our countries. To "strategically" vote for a song you don't even like in an online game would be so lame, I'd have no words for that. It would be their problem if they want to make a fool of themselves.

Petar

If two or more songs have the same average score, how do we rank them?

13 12 2
vs
17 9 1
Just an example, the average score here is 9.0. Which one gets more points? I'd give the country that had 13 12 2 more points.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
If two or more songs have the same average score, how do we rank them?

13 12 2
vs
17 9 1
Just an example, the average score here is 9.0. Which one gets more points? I'd give the country that had 13 12 2 more points.

It's at your own personal discretion. However, for me I'll rank the song who got ranked higher by someone in the position above. So 17 9 1 would go above 13 12 2, as someone ranked the other 1st.

Ezio

Veteran
The rules do not state judging criteria but here is how I would do it:

1. Composition & Arrangement (we are no musical experts, but let's pretend we were)
2. Catchiness (goes into the ear and sticks)
3. Originality (you haven't heard this one before)
4. Contemporariness (not on yesterday's charts, unless it sounds timeless)
5. Vocal delivery (that is sketchy because we have some lives and some music videos, but well)

I think there is a high chance that according to such a subset the outcome of your ranking may surprise you.

I don't judge music videos at all and I listen to the songs with my eyes closed in their running order

VikingTiger

I think the real life jury members are mostly just voting according to their personal taste. But it seems that great voices have a tendency to get more jury points. And many ballads seem to drown in the televotes. That is not a big surprise. I guess many televoters are having parties or at least are wanting something more upbeat and fun. While I guess the jurymembers have a more "calm" night when handing out their points. My guess is also that the average televoter is younger than the average member of the juries.
So on what will I base my "jury-votes"? On my personal taste. But I will also be trying to take into account vocal skills, even though in this case this will probably consist of extra points for those we have seen perform their song live.

Happy votings, everyone!

HayashiM

Veteran
I thought about how to approach the whole judging part a little. In the end, I will adapt @Steffan's very good idea of a mixture of personal ranking and other criteria, with a maximum points given per category, then ranking the songs based on the total points they got.

Staging / music video - 3 points
Vocal difficulty and execution - 2 points
Lyrics - 2 points
Melody - 2 points
Emotional response - 2 points
Non-English - 1 point (I'll give 0.5 to the countries where English is an official language. For a full point, kindly go with Welsh, Irish or Maltese.)
Position in my own fan ranking - 8 points
Maximum possible total - 20 points

I don't give a flying flamingo about the song being contemporary - the song's quality cannot be determined by the historical period I listen to it in. I also don't care about innovations where the biggest aim is to be perceived as innovative. On the other hand, I do care about the music video or staging where applicable, because come May, the jury isn't interested in who had less or more money, they only see the finished product.

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
Otherwise I absolutely agree with @VikingTiger about the juries voting according to their personal taste only. I base this opinion on an inverview with Elis Mraz who was our judge in 2016, where she spoke at lengths about how the whole thing is very difficult, how there is very little time and how by the last song she forgot pretty much everything about the songs from the first half. I just don't see a majority of the jurymembers creating detailed rankings, broken down to a quantifiable criteria, as some of us here are trying to do.

They just go with their taste.

Nemo89

My jury :it: and I xbeachchose to use an "elastic method":

Juror A, rewarded the choice of the singer to sing in the original language xclap;

Juror B, chose to follow only his tastes xmetal;

Juror C, wanted to analyze the performance in its entirety :geek: ;

Juror D, wanted to reward the songs based on the appeal that they will have in the post ESC xviolin

...and ...

Juror E is chosen to make calculations xdiablo

Each juror was free to express himself. In fact, the jury is a set of different points of view and methods of judgment and all together create the perfect judgment xyes

When many of you write about standardized methods xacademic, I know it is a weak dream xblush or a bluff xqueenbitch We are always talking about public and not a technical jury xshrug In the first case, the rules will be deformed according to the tastes of the juror xmusicxyaaywhile, in the second case, it is only to calm the other juries xkiss There is a way to enforce the standard method :geek:, and it is the supervision of the HOJ :cool: and the whole jury xhugthat will discuss the votes and the best ranking xpunish The problem is that supervision kills the individual's thinking xhunterxfaint and only generates a precise calculationxqueenbitch

I am not sure that the jury vote will be very different from the public and for another reason: a jury cannot be sure that another jury will vote following the method it says it wants to use xqueenbitch In practice, the jury that votes in a technical way risks being deceived by another jury which adds two similar votes (public and jury become one) xgaah xqueenbitch

I want to give advice to all jurors, but I won't explain why. This time I will keep the secret for myself xshock1: Send the jury vote one or two days before the deadline ;) Having said that, you are free to do what you wantxshrug:lol:

Bye, friends. See you later! xbike

Nemo89

This looks like a page from one of those books when you are learning letters, but there are some letters you don't know yet so they put a picture of the word instead. :lol: xheat
I put images to give more power to my words. I show an image beyond words. My English is not native and not without errors but I know the grammar and the words.

This choice is my fun xdance and a professional deformationxheat:lol:

Marite

Since we're in the Swiss jury, and Switzerland is known for being neutral and democratic, we were thinking of looking at which one of the two countries was ranked higher than the other by more jurors and then place that entry before the other, i.e. 3 people prefer country X's entry and 2 prefer country Y's, so Country X is placed above Y.

Would that be alright, or should each country follow the same guidelines?

Krishoes

When sending your televote scores, please try to do both semis in 1 message rather than 2 separate messages.
Ah, I thought I could only vote in the semi where my country votes.

So I can vote for the second semi-final too? Do I have 20 votes in total or 20 for one semi and 20 for the other one?

Eurovision

Rotterdam 2020
Staff member
Ah, I thought I could only vote in the semi where my country votes.

So I can vote for the second semi-final too? Do I have 20 votes in total or 20 for one semi and 20 for the other one?

Yes, you can televote in both semis. 20 votes for each semi.

Top Bottom