Contact us

Eurovision 2020 & The Corona Virus

Eurovision and Corona, what should be done?!

• Stick to May with audience

12 12.6%
  • Stick to May without audience

26 27.4%
  • Postpone to the summer

29 30.5%
  • Postpone to end of this year

16 16.8%
  • Postpone to next year

4 4.2%
  • Cancel Eurovision 2020

8 8.4%

• Total voters

Nemo89

I respect this condition. The state tells me "stay home!" and I'm staying home. I don't know if there is a curfew in Italy in other European countries... However, from the first day this question has never convinced me. For obvious and mathematical reasons. Yesterday on television, watching the movie "Money monster" with George Clooney and Julia Roberts, I saw some similarities. The Coronavirus, like any financial disaster, issue is only political and business. I would not be surprised that suddenly it is invented that the miraculous vaccine was found or that the virus, for some strange reason, was won (model aliens from the "War of the Worlds"). The postponement of the ESC, the European football championships, the European Nations League and the Tokyo Olympics is all determined by money. If "those who manage the threads" understand that this will lead to a loss of money ... all this theater will soon end. We will know that we have been scammed but, as in the movie "Money monster", when the story becomes clear, do people rebel? Does the revolution begin? No. We will all start playing table football again.

Mimmon

Veteran
UNITE,UNITE EUROPE
And ofcourse the rest of World...

Haverdge

They should get all the participants and their delegations, test them to make sure they don't have a virus, then quarantine them all in a giant house in the Netherlands. Let's then put it on camera and watch all of the drama on TV before the show, which, naturally, will take place in an empty arena.

Ezio

Veteran
If people stay home for the next 3 weeks, then Corona is history. We have to stop this virus, together. Don't act recklessly and let's save Eurovision

Nemo89

They should get all the participants and their delegations, test them to make sure they don't have a virus, then quarantine them all in a giant house in the Netherlands. Let's then put it on camera and watch all of the drama on TV before the show, which, naturally, will take place in an empty arena.
You practically want some sort of "Big Brother - ESC Edition". Indeed the format is Dutch and Endemol is based in the Netherlands.

If people stay home for the next 3 weeks, then Corona is history. We have to stop this virus, together. Don't act recklessly and let's save Eurovision

I don't know how its at your places guys, but I am from southern Germany and today was a really beautiful sunny day. Normally our city feels really dead on a Sunday. Today I was driving through our city and every single (outside) café was packed with people. I saw at least 30 people in line waiting for their ice cream. Seems like no one cares about Corona so far here.

theditz83

Veteran

Easier said than done. Sadly the majority of people can't afford to not work for 3 weeks, and until the government has made it an essential obligation to do so, employers can do what they want in terms of withholding pay. I have so many monthly bills that simply deciding I'm not going to work wouldn't be an option.

That being said, you are correct that isolation and "self-qurarantine" would effectively starve the virus of new hosts to infect and would be the best course of action. The economic cost will be enormous however.

Ezio

Veteran
I don't know how its at your places guys, but I am from southern Germany and today was a really beautiful sunny day. Normally our city feels really dead on a Sunday. Today I was driving through our city and every single (outside) café was packed with people. I saw at least 30 people in line waiting for their ice cream. Seems like no one cares about Corona so far here.

By tomorrow, Monday 16th of March, if that happens in Austria, you are subject to a fine of € 3,600. But, all bars and shops will be closed anyways, except for supermarkets, gas stations, bank machines and pharmacies.

Mainshow

Veteran

Some Germans are really ignorant about this. They think that we will be getting just some "time-off" instead of trying to stay at home or in areas with less people. Reading this + seeing the pics of people sunbathing in Munich like trying to imitate Kylie's "Slow" music video makes me kinda sick. Every time we pretend to be morally right and the ones taking care of other people but in the time of need, we better enjoy ourselves instead of trying to not make the virus spread any further.

midnightsun

Veteran
I agree, people should be more aware of their consequences. Come on, I know it’s hard to stay at home for two weeks but is it that terrible and would do so much harm?
(Excluding work of course and getting supplies like food etc.)
I hate that people are selfish and ignorant. Even if we saved just a handful lives by this measures it was worth it!

Talking about Eurovision:
If the situation is still out of control by the end of April (which - my guess - it will be, unfortunately) artists should perform in the hall in front of a missing audience. Why? Because they‘re doing it in the rehearsals anyway. It‘s bad for them, I know, but it’s better than to perform at home and to record it or via live broadcast.
The question is: there are so many people (staff) involved... isn’t it better to cancel anything? I would prefer to see them on stage to be honest, even if it was without audience, but I don’t think anyone should risk it. I would be SO sad! But if it‘s for safety reasons I‘d be the first to say „cancel it“. As I pointed out, everyone must do their best to protect themselves and other from the virus!

Alaska49

i don't think it needs to be postponed to september?? look at how things have progressed in china. early july or even late june seems feasible if most european countries don't have an italy situation in their hands imo.

Puma11

Hell, they didn't even make a postcards with participants (and they won't be able to do it till at least end of April, maybe even more). Even if things magically change in May, they'll lack time.

Right now, I think that no audience is not an option either. What's the point of that when you'll have 41 delegetion and god knows how many people, from all over the Europe in one place? It's risky and I don't think we'll see it, especially because we're only month and a half away from that moment.

As much as it's complicated for many reasons, they need to find a way how to postpone it. This is the only way to have normal show, which both fans and Netherland deserve. Artists too.

Loindici

Veteran
I'm still in for a postponement. Like, aside of all the safety measures and the sterilization procedures currently happening all over the world, all 41 songs and artists have been selected through an unquestionably costly process, either with an NF or an internal selection. And all the participation and selection for nothing eventhough probably some countries could actualy have their shot of winning this year?

Again, eventhough our safety measures are important, if cancellation happens, smaller broadcasters could withdraw easier next year, there might be a decrease of participative interest towards Eurovision, and even if the Netherlands will host again, all the preparations will have to change drastically.

I'm still okay with having a postponement to July or August. I feel that the recovery process in Europe will be much quicker and easier with the lockdown and with the pace of Chinese recovery we have so far, it's (probably) showing a positive trend towards a good and healthy finish.

midnightsun

Veteran
Of course I am in favour in postponing it, that would be the best solution! But I don’t believe that it‘s possible logistically.

ag89

At this point I am pretty sure we will not see ESC 2020 in May. I just hope the Netherlands will host the show since they waited so long and they love it now. Whatever they do it will cause some changes: if they postpone it, some artists or even countries will withdraw and return next year, if they don't postopone it and decide to do it live in empty arena that still means some countries or artists will withdraw due to regulations from country to country (due to the virus), but also I am afraid not so many people will watch the show becuase all the focus is now on this stupid virus...

Well, either to postpone it for autumn or cancel ESC 2020 sounds better on long term than to do it anyway.

Last edited:

NemesisNick

If they postpone ESC 2020 to the autumn (e.g. October 2020), they could start planning ESC 2021 in the meantime. Broadcasters wanting to take part in ESC 2021 (whether or not participating in 2020) would need to inform the EBU by mid October (which may be before the postponed ESC 2020). The EBU could pick a host country and in turn a venue for ESC 2021 could be chosen within that country, regardless of who ends up winning the postponed-to-October ESC 2020.

Puma11

What William said on wiwibloggs, songs can't be performed after 1.9 bases on rules? In that case, we can have ESC in the last week of August, I think it will be safe till then.
Eight-nine months before new ESC is more than enough time to organise it... ffs, they're not building NASA center. 🙄

Euro could be postponed to November or December, not sure.

I mean, I totally get that is's very complicate "operation" to postpone it but it's the only way now.

Top Bottom