• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Ireland-scaled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Uto

Veteran
... is based on like 3 chords total.
There's only two, the middle one is a transition chord and it would be incorrect to say that the song is based on it, since nothing is based on that chord at all, it merely functions as a melodic element. It is absolutely absurd how simple this song is.

Romeo

I'm watching reaction videos for this sing and I see people saying "the video includes all of the LGBT community" That is not the case. I am gay and I don't wear makeup or prance about. Why am I not included in that video. People may say its a good thing to show all sides of LGBT but it's not. It's stereotyping gay people . I love the song but the video is not promoting the gay community.

Why is there not a lad who loves football? Why is there not lads who are builders / farmers?

I think this is an entry that is hoping for the gay vote purely because of it adhering to a small portion of gay people

Iker

Veteran
There's only two, the middle one is a transition chord and it would be incorrect to say that the song is based on it, since nothing is based on that chord at all, it merely functions as a melodic element. It is absolutely absurd how simple this song is.

Oh, so I guess I overestimated Ireland this year. :ROFLMAO: But I don't dislike simple songs for being it as a rule though. I also can play them on ukulele with my very basic skills.

EscGeek

Veteran
:ie: is officially my winner xyaaay
This is the special song i search for every year. On my very first listen, it filled me up with such joy, that i started to smile uncontrollably. xlove
Georgia gets a silver medal and that's their 5th medal already. Georgia on my mind indeed. xmusic
current top here

Mrm

Veteran
I just can't with her. Think she is borderline annoying like WeeWeebloggs.
Yes she is getting annoying..she does this for money obviously now.. :D

And, although I love The Mamas and they are my faves, I think she supports them only cause they are black American, just like her.. :ROFLMAO:

crashworld

Veteran
Yes she is getting annoying..she does this for money obviously now.. :D

And, although I love The Mamas and they are my faves, I think she supports them only cause they are black American, just like her.. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry we are getting off-track here, but I also noticed it. If you take a look, all the artists who are people of colour got good reviews from her. #whatacoincidence

FRFanESC

Sorry we are getting off-track here, but I also noticed it. If you take a look, all the artists who are people of colour got good reviews from her. #whatacoincidence
Absolutely, but she assumes it. I remember her reaction on Aysat's "Comme une grande" and she had said something like "I'm not gonna lie, I'm already into it since she is a black woman".

Romeo

This song is about being yourself and doing your own thing...

There is a lad with Destiny's African headdress on
destiny.jpg

A girl who has stolen Montaigne's dress and dyed it
hqdefault.jpg

A lad who has stolen Waylon's hat
220px-ESC2014_-_the_Netherlands_02_%28crop%29.jpg

Slavko called and wanted his t-shirt back
6328611.jpg

Apart from the stereotypical and stolen ideas I actually love the song

ayzelto

In my top 3, and let me explain this: I don't mind if a song is outdated if they make you feel something. In my case, it gave me nostalgia, happiness, enthusiasm... it just clicked on my brain. We've heard many songs like that in the very ancient past, but music shouldn't have time barriers; every single ballad (for example, North Macedonia last year) can be related as "outdated", but when there is a mid-tempo pop piece of music that is not contemporary is just not good, innovative... This is something we don't usually hear on Eurovision anyway. 12 points.

Phoenix

People compare this to Katy Perry as if she was any good in the first place (Dark Horse and maybe 365 aside). I'm pretty sure I would have hated this with such gusto 10 years ago, but have since became more tolerant and boring so :4: points it is.

LastDreamer

Banned
In best case scenario Lesley will get a crown of Eurovision 2020, in worst she will have the first ESC song, which I liked but totally ruined by weird staging or/and weak live performance.
For obvious reason she will not ruin her performance, so I can declare Lesley as the winner of my 2020 ranking with :7:
It's 4th win for Ireland, after three wins in 70s.

tuorem

My review:

IRELAND 2020 - Lesley Roy - Story Of My Life: "ok"

So after the modest teasing this Irish act and entry got this time, it had to be either a huge disappointment or the best thing on earth since acacia honey... but to me, the truth sits in the middle.

What struck me the most about "Story Of My Life" is that 1) it's not a ballad and 2) it's got a non-negligible amount of drive and energy. It's a sort of throwback pop-rock tune that could have been aired on the radios in the late 00's, if I'm not wrong Katy Perry used to release such material when she debuted. I think it's a pleasant enough song and while listening to it again, it sounds better than I remembered. There ain't nothing revolutionary here, but the energy does the job and the chorus is particularly catchy imo. I'd say it's a piece of candy to enjoy when one needs a boost mental-wise.

No, I don't think it's a bad effort overall. Nonetheless, it remains Irish insofar as it's a bit too "clean" for its own good, kind of like the British entry, it could have used rawer vocals or "dirtier" arrangements to push the concept further and maximise its chances of success imo. Because prediction-wise, I don't think Ireland was in for a qualification tbh. I wonder what it would have sounded like live with a visual presentation (although I don't adhere to the LGBT-bait angle they opted for and I'm sure it would have been in-your-face).

I definitely don't mind this effort, which easily becomes one of the best Irish entries in recent years to me. I'm not blown away, it doesn't have a whole lot of personality, but it's enjoyable and more lively than half of the 2020 entries.

Let's see what awaits us next year, I guess Roy should be given a second chance. I'd like to see her with a song equally energetic yet rawer sound-wise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom