10 9.7%

13 12.6%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Moldova-scaled.jpg

njdevils94

Veteran
i am only watching anything non-prison now for the first time because i knew i would be pissed to see them all perish to prison's rigged win and i was right because WOW. the moldovița/touch/do it slow/dale dale/my wine sequence is one of the best in all-time NF history. just straight fire, five times in a row. all of that wasted in moldova's kirkorov-shaped PRISAAAAAAAAN. smh.

This post is both extremely sad (with the end result) and fire at the same time although never really got Do It Slow.

Iker

Veteran
Not digging it, kinda cheap. Her vocals are meh.

Last edited:

ESCREGION

I don't like it. It has nothing fresh, so dated
The worst Kontopoulos' entry.
:3:

Kairit

This sounds like a basic bitch's attempt at being edgy like 20 years ago. It definitely is dated. But I actually quite dig it, it's not completely meritless. At least it, well, tries to leave an impression and has a certain charisma. I also like the instrumentation and how the tempo picks up at the end, that's a moment. I almost love it how I love Armenia's entry this year.

hijirio

Veteran
Leave Dotter alone, gurl invented that staging just 3 weeks ago. Go for your own original ideas.
I want a huge prison on stage and she tries to break free through the bars, running toward every corner.

musicfan

I thought Alexandru Cibotaru - Cine Te-a Făcut Să Plângi was reasonable, I suppose you could say old fashioned (for whatever that matters). Definitely catchy. The rest I didn't really remember.

94ayd

Even though the victory was probably bought, I can't help loving the overdramatic everything - it has a great instrumental and the lyrics deal with an meaningful topic. I also live for the mess of a live performance, can't wait for everything to look and sound totally polished come May: :10:.

Last edited:

BorisBubbles

Veteran

These vocals should be in prison.
My mind spent my daily commute locked up inside Kirkorov's prison, where it was promptly waterboarded by Natalia's terrifying vocals and diction.

Are we sure the song isn't called Prism because that performance shattered her voice in many colours, none of which were part of any rainbow I've ever seen.

Romeo

I think this song is very underrated!

I think it's powerful, meaningful and is in general a good song. It's not going to win but it will get a respectable result

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Gosh this is really horrible. First of all its like rip off of Scream, same effects, arrangement is very similar and melody is hard to determine. She is screaming so much its just doesnt sound good and her way of singing very influenced by Kirkorov (he is singing same, those who know understand what i mean)
And lol that light i have seen somewhere not long ago :sneaky: :LOL:

Iker

Veteran
Gosh this is really horrible. First of all its like rip off of Scream, same effects, arrangement is very similar and melody is hard to determine. She is screaming so much its just doesnt sound good and her way of singing very influenced by Kirkorov (he is singing same, those who know understand what i mean)
And lol that light i have seen somewhere not long ago :sneaky: :LOL:

Don't forget about adding the verse no 1 that is a rip-off of Hijo De La Luna to our list of aggravations. :LOL:

tuorem

My review:

MOLDOVA 2020 - Natalia Gordienko - Prison: "the Dream Team is a prison we can't escape from"

I see Moldova as the jester of the contest in general, and I mean that in a good way, for they very often offer entertaining acts other nations (except maybe sistah Romania) would not send or pull off. Of course, they have their weak years, but whenever that happens they usually make up for it the year after. Surprisingly, the successor of Anna Odobescu and her telenovela tribute did not keep that promise. I feel like Kirkorov and Kontopoulos get bored a little bit more every year and it's increasingly difficult to have a Dream Team-free Eurovision edition. To be honest, although it was sad to face the cancellation of the contest, I did not shed a tear about "Prison", "Superg!rl" and "What Love Is" going to the trash compactor: I seldom appreciate their songs because they have that cookie-cutter Eurovision-y quality to them that irks me.

I was able to follow the Moldovan NF for the first time ever and I enjoyed it much more than expected! To me, they proved that - even on a budget - one can select an entertaining bunch of acts with visuals and complete performances, which makes me guess that the producer of Eesti Laul deliberately picks samey songs and couldn't care less about working on stagings... Back to Moldova, it was odd to see Gordienko perform second, as if it would detract from Kirkorov's bribing every time he is behind a song :LOL: I was rather uninpressed by the live performance, Gordienko reminds me of Charlotte Perrelli physically and vocally for some reason... Any power the composition might have was lost due to sketchy vocals (and it seems they lowered the pitch), and the staging wasn't even the best of the night imo. A pure damp squib. Valentin Uzun & Irina Kovalsky's "Moldovita" (for the classic Moldovan uptempo act) and Lavinia Rusu's "Touch" (for the infectious pop jam) and Dianna Rotaru's "Dale Dale" (haha what a banger!) would have been my picks.

On a musical level, I'd say "Prison" was the best out of the three Dream Team songs this edition. Actually, it does not start too bad, the intro followed by the melodic motif used throughout the verses is rather memorable and at first made me want to hear how it would develop. The pre-chorus is a let down though, it just reminds me of the dripping saccharine of "Stay", which is a red flag for my brain. Thankfully, it quickly transitions to the aforementioned motif accompanied by a couple of beats and a bassline that create tension, which I like. And then comes the chorus, aka my second disappointment: it's void, un-catchy and anticlimactic. And that's pretty much it since the rest of the song is basically a repeat of the first minute. To sum up, there was a motif to take advantage of and a few elements that could have made a good entry, but they are wasted by cheesy/expendable parts, a pretty unexciting structure as well as sparse old-fashioned arrangements. I love me some throwback/vintage entry, but this is not how you do it imo. There is very little substance in this song for me, but that applies to most Kontopoulos' works. Oh and lyrically: nothing to report.

Prediction-wise, since Dream Team songs have a habit of qualifying, I guess it might have had of chance of sneaking through despite the ballad-heavy semi 2 because it kind of "stands out". In the final, I guess a 15th-18th position would have been doable?

To whoever reads my reviews, I'm sorry for being so critical and nitpicking, but this 2020 edition really did not light my fire, to say the least. I read Gordienko will probably come back next year, which is okay. I hope she'll have a song she can actually sing this time around, but since now people can resort to pre-recorded backing voices... It shouldn't matter anymore. I personally don't expect to like her new song since the same people will write it, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Milos-BC

While the song has obvious flaws, I actually quite liked it. And the same applies to her 2021 entry. It's not really a song that aims for a high result but one can appreciate it for what it is.

5 points.

Ianp16

Why have I only just discovered this and why is it 10 times better than Sugar? This would have made for a fabulous live performance and staging

Top Bottom