Contact us

Pacific States | Chapter 11 | Olivia Rodrigo & Joshua Bassett - Start of Something New

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
GlbHx5y.png

Last edited:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Pacific States - WV 104 - Morten Lauridsen - O Nata Lux - WV 105 NF on Page 60

Thank you to our quintet of voters thus far: ::yohu, ::mida, :cy:, :lb:, and :ph: xheart Score update:

Also, I'm setting the deadline at 23:59 February 16th :D

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Pacific States - WV 105: Trixie Mattel - Moving Parts

WV 106: Trixie Mattel - Moving Parts

Lyrics:

I'm sending this song after first hearing it performed on Drag Race in poignant and beautiful fashion. The lyrics are actually what do it for me; the imagery is so folksy and cliché that it's touching and honest. It came into my life at a moment when I was just finishing up a lengthy period of disarray, and the kind of "grandmother putting you on her lap" wisdom the song offers was exactly what I wanted to hear.

A few words on the elephant in the room: this incredibly no-frills song comes from one of the world's most yes-frills populations. I think there's a fairly powerful message at the heart of this, actually. Just like the rest of us, Trixie Mattel is moving through life's ups and downs and where they take her, namely from the backwoods of Wisconsin all the way to LA and (within her field) fame.

And finally, thank you to everyone who, through some odd twist of fate, sent it into the final xfaint That was REALLY unexpected, and I'm glad it hit some hearts xheart

NF Results​

fUemYUW.png

Thank you to all our voters xheart As you can see, it was a very exciting NF to watch unfold!​

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Re: Pacific States - WV 105: Trixie Mattel - Moving Parts

Porcelain-Black-porcelain-black-37719642-461-320.gif

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] I grant you the gift of ownership x May Porcelain Black bless this topic.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV106 ☂ Rob Zombie - Dragula

SErIlcN.png

47eRtDR.png
Rob Zombie is a man known equally for his music and film making. Zombie so far has released six solo studio albums, as well as four with his heavy metal band, White Zombie. Rob grew up with a diet of horror, horror and more horror. His work today takes heavily from grind house cinema, and those brutal yet campy horror favourites of the 70s and 80s. To date Zombie has directed eight films including the cult classic, House of 1000 Corpses, which spawned the sequels, The Devil's Rejects and the upcoming 3 From Hell, which is expected to release this Halloween.

The song I'm sharing with you this edition of WorldVision is Rob's signature tune. It takes its title from Grandpa Munster's dragster, DRAG-U-LA (The Munsters anyone?). Dragula is a true 90s classic. If you played video games back in the day there's a good chance you might have heard Dragula whilst power sliding around a hairpin corner in a delicious blue Subaru. It was featured on the soundtracks for Gran Turismo 2, Sled Storm, Jet Set Radio and Twisted Metal 4. I played all of those besides Twisted Metal 4 (was more of a Vigilante 8 vehicular combat guy myself) but specifically I remember this song most from the Xtreme sports snowmobile racer, Sled Storm, where a remixed version of Dragula accompanied the intro video. It always got me pumped to carve up some snow. Dragula has been used in multiple films as well, including the original Matrix.

More recently I've been getting into Rob Zombie's movies. I started with Lords of Salem, a film which actually marked a departure away from Zombie's usual more blunt style. Trippy, surreal and with a The Velvet Underground soundtrack to boot. I absolutely loved it. House of 1000 Corpses is awesome as well. I'm getting into his films kind of late but his music holds a lot of nostalgia for me, as Rob essentially was the go to man for any of your 90s car racing video game soundtrack needs. His music was everywhere. Hope you have a devilishly delightful time with Dragula.

giphy.gif

Dig through the ditches
And burn through the witches
I slam in the back of my
Dragula!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV106 ☂ Rob Zombie - Dragula

FearfulFrankBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restricted.gif

13th is Semi 2 with 54 Points / 3rd in REJU with 30 Points (which transformed into 8 Regular Points)
FINAL DNQ

Can finally see everyone that gave this entry something now. Thank you!! Especially Wes, Ana and Cesar for the 12s xheart And I'm pleasantly surprised to see such big numbers from Kris and Fabi as well. I guess I got a bit unlucky with the draw on this one but I'm glad still I sent Rob. Twas fun! And if I'm still here playing this thing by Halloween, I might just have to raise his coffin up from the dirt for round two.

:12: :bcol::pe::lb:
:10: :it:
:8: REJU :de:
:7: xwhistle
:6: xwhistle
:5: :svea:
:4: :ie::wale::lv:
:3: xwhistle
:2: :neus:
:1: :ua::pl::br:

I haven't decided yet if I'm playing next edition (who am I kidding, I probably will even if it's inconvenient) cause I've got some stuff going on soon, but if I can time and energy manage it all then I know exactly what I'm sending, and boy I can't wait. The tune is fresh out, and I haven't been this pumped or felt so invigorated to share something with you in quite a long while. I get goosebumps each time I listen to it. The song is mostly electronic and overall closer in line with the entries I sent more often during the first half of my time spent here. The kind of dark, mysterious and emotional stuff that was my schtick. This one is (literally) swimming with a transcendental aura. It's a glorious journey of a track. Expect this beaut as the next Pacific States entry, I guarantee you that at least. It's a coming soon!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV107 ☂ Weyes Blood - Movies

tbOF7yV.png

x7lW9Hj.png
Weyes Blood is back on the scene with her brand new album, Titanic Rising. Natalie Mering's fourth release sees the torch singer journey to unexplored lands, taking along her brand of psychedelic folk to twist it further than ever before, going bigger, darker and stranger.

The synths shimmer on Movies - the records undeniable centrepiece. A captivating look into the magic of the silver screen. Those larger than life visions put before us that from a very young age allow us to dream and to fantasize. We're taken away to a different world altogether when we indulge ourselves in films, and that I think is what this song captures perfectly. That apex of human emotion that we often reach in this realm that we so readily allow ourselves to float in is quite frankly astonishing. It's a double edged sword though. We get our highs and yet "the meaning of life doesn't seem to shine like that screen". Can our lives away from the screen live up to hopes these reels feed us? The synths turn darksome as Mering demands: "put me in a movie and everyone will know me", before immediately assuring that "you'll be the star you know you are" as heavenly choral backing vocals lift the song to somewhere stupendously majestic (goosebumps still from this part even after a gazillion plays). It's a hands running through the hair whilst lip-syncing the song as a tear rolls down the cheek moment, quite literally for the dude in music video who could be my soul brother. The song to me is overwhelming in all of its rapturous drama. Just like the movies she worships and dreams of living for herself, Weyes Blood doesn't hold back on melodrama when trying to dazzle up a sense of wonderment within you, and I just love that about her. She’s mega levels of extra.

Jyksusl.png

c0jyWgP.png

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

giphy.gif

3rd in Semi 2 with 90 Points / 12th in REJU with 14 Points
Winner in the Final with 153 Points

I’m really touched you made Weyes Blood a WorldVision winner. Third time was the charm with her but I didn’t expect a song like Movies to win. I hoped certain people would like it but I thought it would be too dark, weirdly structured and peculiar to be considered a challenger but gosh, a heavily trippy psych-pop song CAN win WorldVision, and it has cheered me up a lot.

This WorldVision edition was a very strange one for me. I voted away from home for the first time using potato broadband and listening to songs through tinny speakers. I haven’t been in the right headspace at all recently, but spamming this song and Weyes Blood’s new album was giving me juice, and allowed me to escape a lot of crummy stuff that was going on in my life. In The Beginning and Generation Why rank high up if I were to list my favourite songs I’ve shared here, but Movies has already grown to mean more to me. It makes me so happy to know so many here enjoyed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

:12: :pl: :susa: :neus: :lt:
:10: :fi: :nz: ::yohu
:8: :wale: :ie: :br:
:7: :is:
:6: :svea: :au: :marm:
:5: :it: :lv:
:4: :ca: :pe:
:3: :dk:
:2: :tr:
:1: :lond: :hu: :nl:

This PQ I’ve been gifted was literally heaven sent. There’s two artists I’m crazy for right now. One is Weyes Blood , the other is [insert name of gentleman who just released a new record I’ve already played a gazillion times here]. Some of you I’m sure can work out who I’m referring to. I think I know the song I’ll pick although technically I’ve got a lot of options with him. Will be a worthy choice for a PQ whichever song I go with as the genre is crazy risky at WV. Just excuse my excessive gushing next edition.

I think I’ll say yes to hosting. I’m ordering my new laptop now which should arrive tomorrow, and most of the work will be done on my tablet anyway which I’m using right this moment. This is three years in a row now I’ve had the chance to host editions coinciding with Eurovision. I want to try my best to do this for you though and will aim for something a little bit slicker than my usual clown with a box of crayons aesthetic. Think clown gone upmarket whilst still staying true to his arts and crafts roots fantasy.

Nicholas123

OMG Congrats. xheart Too bad now that the song won here, i don't think i am gonna send it to NSC as i planned. :mrgreen:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

OMG Congrats. xheart Too bad now that the song won here, i don't think i am gonna send it to NSC as i planned. :mrgreen:

Thank youxheat And oh no, sorry. Plenty of amazing Weyes Blood songs on her new album though if you don’t want to pick this one now (though you totally still should if you planned it). At first she released Andromeda and I was like “wow I so gotta send this to WV”, and then Everyday released and I marked it down as an entry. Movies though saw what was happening and was like “hold my cup *commences intense body slay*”.

And didn't your previous NSC Weyes Blood entry miss the final there? I hope they’re ready for her now.

XJEXMw2.jpg

Nicholas123

Thank youxheat And oh no, sorry. Plenty of amazing Weyes Blood songs on her new album though if you don’t want to pick this one now (though you totally still should if you planned it). At first she released Andromeda and I was like “wow I so gotta send this to WV”, and then Everyday released and I marked it down as an entry. Movies though saw what was happening and was like “hold my cup *commences intense body slay*”.

And didn't your previous NSC Weyes Blood entry miss the final there? I hope they’re ready for her now.

XJEXMw2.jpg

I wil probably consider another song from her latest album. :mrgreen:

And yeah, Do You Need My Love DNQ xcry It was all about being in the wrong semi. It did pretty well in REJU voting. :p

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV108 ☂ Sadistik - Saints

zTlzkwC.png

oJTIFNe.png
Sadistik is an alternative hip hop artist. I stumbled across his music about three years ago during a time when I was heavily into the Minneapolis hip hop collective Doomtree. I was on the constant lookout to find other artists from the genre I could feel a connection with in as deep a way. Little did I know when I came across Sadistik through his song Orange that this man would become one of my favourite artists ever.

Sadistik's work is dark and haunting. What's vulnerable is often delivered with a brutal sense of honesty. Feelings that most would keep locked away for perhaps fear of judgement are displayed in his music as open wounds. Playing with words in a way that is so poetic and yet raw, I've become fixated on studying his lyrics. The way he writes blows my mind.

Saints produced by Foxwedding is the penultimate track on Sadistik's new album, Haunted Gardens. I remember when this came out. I was overwhelmed and couldn't listen to anything else for what felt like days. His entire body of work is gorgeous but there's something about this track that's not of this planet. The way that second chorus washes over you. The dissonance. The soaring violins. Regular collaborator Lotte Kestner's achingly beautiful backing vocals. I find the whole thing absolutely exquisite, with its only sin being that it ends around the three minute mark (more, I want more).

There's a quote from Sadistik where he describes the album: "Haunted Gardens is a reflection of my most vulnerable moments; it’s about feeling isolated in a changing world, depression, and finding beauty amidst the chaos." The one line in particular "finding beauty amidst the chaos" paints perfectly my connection with music, and why I love it so much. Those kinds of songs carrying a certain honest something that have fed me up well throughout the years. Finding beauty in dark corners and from difficult situations. Saints is one of the ultimate examples of such a song. The whole album I think is the best he's ever released. If you're interested in this side of hip hop then please check it out. I'll be shocked if a record gets released this year that I love more than I do Haunted Gardens. I'm crazy in love with it. Obligatory gosh from me to end this post, cause gosh.. this man's music.

QsVDqI2.png

None of us are saints, but some of us ain’t
You love the paint but the colors will change
Staring out the window again
A hundred rain drops still sit on my skin

A message in a bottle
Lessons that I etched as a staccato
I go Hatori Hanzo with the gonzo
Until I fill the hollows
Bones dipped in gold go vibrato
Falsettos cause an echo but for how long?
Heavy as I’ve ever been
Heaven’s just a death away
Boulder-shouldered seraphim
Broke everything that’s delicate
Looking at yourself again
Yet you never self reflect
Orpheus & Eurydice
Like you’ve been to Hell and back
Innocent to diffident
Indifferent to the dissonance
Drifting in and out of indolence
Indecent and still in descent
Disparate makes desperate
I’m distant when I ponder on the infinite
Walk along the precipice
Always on defensive when
Autonom reflixiveness
Albatross’ eloquent
Watch me while I levitate
Crawling on the Zeppelins
Monologues are deafening
Do anything to exit
When I’m lost among the desolate

None of us are saints, but some of us ain’t
You love the paint but the colors will change
Staring out the window again
A hundred rain drops still sit on my skin

Stalagmites inside my mouth
Ultraviolet fire-bound
Take the grey I find
And maybe I can make it light up now
Lately I admire how
You make things seem lively
When I’m dying out
Words are like a spiderweb I’m spiral bound
My la fleur planting haunted gardens
Where the scars are formed
Pluck my heart like harpsichords
Til one of ours will wash ashore
Baited breath til sharks’ll swarm
Bay of pigs we’re art of war
Bayonets I’m marching toward
Lately I’ve been Lobster Boy
I’m running out of air to breathe, be
Coming what I’m scared to see, leave
Nothing to the parakeets, these
Summers that appeared to be, dreams
Prisoners of the moment
Living among the stoic
Prisms of other omens
Visions becoming real
Sometimes it’s just too surreal
So tell me how do you feel?
Are all the walls closing in?
When only the blue prevails
Stuck in a blooper reel
Where nothing is beautiful
A heart like beluga whale
Awaits for the wounds to heal​

DenizESC

Banned

The king in WV wow ❦

And wow his new stuff smells...quality!! I was in an almost trance state those 3 minutes but indeed as my soul was preparing to leave my body Sadi abruptly stopped iotap this needs an extended 13 mins version one too. Sad I can't vote though :'(

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

SAD.jpg

Prequalified Entry
20th
in the Final with 82 Points

Almost forgot to do my traditional appreciation post in my greenroom. I’m glad a bunch of you got something from Sadistik’s music. I’m happy I got to share him again with you. Thank you🖤

:12: :jp:
:10: :pl: :ua:
:8: :fi: :il:
:7: :susa:
:6: xwhistle
:5: :sobr: :se: :hu: ::mosc
:4: :it:
:3: xwhistle
:2: :mn:
:1: :lb:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV109 ☂ Father John Misty - Please Don't Die

HqzBPjY.png

One more wasted morning
When I could be holding you
To my side, somebody stop this joyless joy ride
I'm feeling older than my thirty-five years

One more cryptic message
Thinking that I might end it
Oh god, you must have woken up
To me saying that it's all too much
I'll take it easy with the morbid stuff

Oh, and honey, I'm worried 'bout you
You're too much to lose
You're all that I have
And honey, I'm worried 'bout you
Put yourself in my shoes
You're all that I have so please don't die
Wherever you are tonight

All these pointless benders
With reptilian strangers
Oh my god, you're so naive
You'll leave this world in a drunken heave
Who'll make the arrangements, baby, them or me?

Oh, and honey, I'm worried 'bout you
You're too much to lose
You're all that I have
And honey, I'm worried 'bout you
Put yourself in my shoes
You're all that I have, you're all that I have
You're all that I have so please don't die
Wherever you are tonight

I'm sharing with you this edition Father John Misty. He's a prolific songwriter, having so far released twelve studio albums, most under his real name of J. (Josh) Tillman. He was also for four years a member of the folk rock band, Fleet Foxes, which is actually how I got to know of his music. I used to listen to them a bit back in the day.

Please Don't Die comes from Father John Misty's latest release, God's Favourite Customer, which he put out about a year ago. I'm kind of late to the party on this one. I listened to it on the entry submission deadline day. Heard this song and it brought a tear to my glass eye. Got a feeling in my stomach there and then that I was going to have to share it right away. Father John Misty's music has always had this mixture of irony and sincerity that appealed to me. It's an unusual tightrope he balances on. On Please Don't Die, he's for sure leaning more on the side of sincerity. It's very easy to tell what the song is about just by paying attention to the lyrics. It takes a subject matter that's dark and difficult to approach, turning it into something so hopeful and beautiful. That and the saloon-ready piano + music video that features a swan boat helmed by Death, who also plays the harmonica, was I ever not going to send this upon hearing it? Answer: no. This little number touched my heart too hard. Hope you enjoy itxheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV109 ☂ Father John Misty - Please Don't Die

source.gif

9th in Semi 1 with 69 Points / REJU 19th with 7 Points
24th in the Final with 70 Points

Thank you for them Father John Misty points. Probably not the last you'll see of him. I feel like I'm going to end up NFing this guy one day, as he has so much music I like. A strong contender anyway for if I do a Pacific States Icons NF soon like the Mid-Atlantic States one I did. Hopefully I can provide you with some stunning Father John Misty dance moves next time as well.

:12: xwhistle
:10: :neus:
:8: :sobr::fi:
:7: xwhistle
:6: :pr:
:5: :ua::it::mn:
:4: :nl::lv::svea:
:3: :be::hu:
:2: :au:
:1: :tr::gr::kz:

I'm supposed to be sending a hot pop next edition, but I'm still waiting on my childhood fave to release her comeback stuff. "New music coming April, May the latest" my backside, I tell you. Arhh. I don't know what to send at this moment. I do have some other poppy options, though they are a bit more left-field.

I've also got this one artist and song I feel like I should dare to share. It's something so, so shocking. Blood-curdling actually. I think it could potentially get 0 points and 20 mehs at the LL but I find it absolutely magnificent in a Soap&Skin Sugarbread kind of way, with a cathartic quality and achingly beautiful second half. It's not a song at all for competing with but I'm so taken back by it that I want you to hear it. Just the thought terrifies me though as it's such a brutal piece of music. If just one person gets something from it I think it would be worth it.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV110 ☂ Tamara Gee - How About That

8CAAZ0x.png

The artist formally known as Isis Gee, stiletto stomps those heels down at WorldVision. Presenting to you the beautiful Ms. Tamara Gee and her disco firecracker, How About That. Released in 2011, this Anders Hansson penned track was a change of direction for Tamara, taking her from the show-stopper ballad territory of her 2008 Polish Eurovision entry, For Life, to the dancefloor, ready for some revenge-disco. Hell hath no fury like a perturbed Tamara Gee. The man treating her wrong will be made to know what he's going to be missing out on, as his backside hits the floor. How about that?

giphy.gif

How about that
How about that
da-da-da
How about that
How about that

With everything left unanswered
With every warning in my head
With every word
It was heartbreaking
For you crawled around the skin you had to shed
I don't know the day it came
Or why I couldn't find the strength
Forever beneath it
I've have had it all
And I'll work through the pain
If I need you to know that I could ever be

How about that
How does it feel to beat the lie
That I wasn't leaving
How about that
How does it feel
I'm doing fine
More than you will ever be, yeah

With every lie I have counted
With every call you would decline
Whenever it came to open your heart
You were one foot out the door all the time

I don't know the day it came
Or why I couldn't find the strength
Forever beneath it
I have had it all and I'll work through the pain
If I need you to know that I could ever be

How about that
That I wasn't leaving
How about that
How does it feel
I'm doing fine

I'm fine (I'm fine)
No tears (No Tears)
TONIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTT
BABY SEE THE LOOK IN MY EEEEYYYIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIEIEEIIEI ESSSSS
So baby how about that

WOOOO

How about that
That I wasn't leaving
How about that
How does it feel
I'm doing fine

How about that
That I wasn't leaving
How about that
How does it feel
I'm doing fine
More than you will ever be, baaay..

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaY

So baby how about that
What cha say about that
So baby how about that
What cha say about that
So baby how about that

How about that
How about that da-da-da
How about that
How about that da-da-da
How about that
How about that da-da-da
How about that (wooOooOoo)
How about that

giphy.gif

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

That tamara banner at the top and lyrics with extra emphasis. xheart xheat good luck changing the world. xbow xbow

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

BABY SEE AND LOOK AT MY AAAAAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEEAEAEAEAEAEAIEAAIEAEAIAAIAEAIA ASSSSS

FTFY xheat

What an entry. Beautiful performance by Ms Tamara Gee. xheart xheat xheat

Top Bottom