10 3.8%

9 3.4%

2 0.8%

5 1.9%

9 3.4%

47 17.7%

• Total voters

Alaska49

Their cause is delivered in an obnoxious, crass, hammy way, and I don’t like their vibe. I like a lot of oddballs but something about them instantly didn’t click with me, and over the months I’ve come to understand why. They act like dicks (emphasis on the act). I don’t like that. I’m willing to listen to people who have something to say, but I’d honestly rather go elsewhere for it. People may enjoy their art and way of presenting what they have to say. I don’t. Does it have worth? Yes. Never silence anyone. I find them honestly boring though. Every ESC moment with them for me has been an eye roll apart from when they summoned Hera Björk’s leg to the ceiling that one time.
well, that's still probably the most i have ever personally and subjectively disagreed with a post in the history of this board but at least it was now presented in an entirely thoughtful and respectful fashion which was all i wanted. thank you, rainy.

(ps: i hate when i don't quote a post and then it throws me to a new page so the context is gone and i have to go back and get the quote and probably create a new annoying notification for the person i was talking to. i feel like i am the only one who does that around here.)

Chorizo

[MENTION=13974]DenizESC[/MENTION] Why did you emphasise friends with apostrophes? Does it make me any less of a friend and change your opinion of me just because politics is something I’d like to try and keep away from the contest which is supposed to be about music? You know, maybe we shouldn’t have the contest at all because it’s clearly impossible to have it when the world is such a fucked up place (I’m being serious). Everything seems to come back to politics one way or another. It’s unavoidable. For me Hatari’s protest should have been the song (as many fans claimed it always to be) and they should have kept it at that. Iceland won’t be banned and I don’t think they should be either. The band though went to Israel literally to “hate” and provoke, and to do their whole parody thing. Maybe they’ve got an important message to share with people but their delivery is that of trolls, and that might work for some people but it rubs me up wrong, and I feel it disrespects not only who they’ve got the problem with (as intended) but also who they’re trying to support. It’s a disservice. An enjoyable spectacle though I’m sure for fans of the contest who can get a laugh from them with a political message attached. And comparing their flag waving to Ping Pong I don’t think works as they were to my knowledge two very different situations and deliveries.

I stand by what I said though about cultural boycotts. They’re not the way forward. If that disappoints you or changes your opinion of me then I’m sorry. I’m not going to go further into anything here as it’s not the place to do it, and to further elaborate what I’d like to say I’d have to speak about things that go against the rules of discussion. You can pm me if you want.

Hatari didn't have a message of hate. Rather the opposite.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Hatari didn't have a message of hate. Rather the opposite.

Well, if so the message for me got buried behind the harsh facade they kept up throughout the competition. If I didn’t find them so irritating I might have been able to pay closer attention to what they’re supposedly about. That’s the risk though when you opt to present your art in such a way. You risk alienating. Not that they alienated all though as they clearly did very well at the contest.

Lolinna

Hi you guys. I haven't logged on to this forum for a long long time. It saddens me that Hatari is so misunderstood by so many. I get it, that their music is divisive and that's not what I'm talking about. Their music is definitely not easily digested, but I am referring to their message and what they had to say about the situation between Israel and Palestine. That they are only doing this for attention and a quick way to fame, it's so far from the truth, I hope you take my word for it.

I agree with you that of course the contest is supposed to be apolitical (even if it is far from being so most of the time) and they weren't obeying to that, but they are really caring about both sides, not just the Palestinians. This is the misunderstanding that I am talking about. They are hoping for peace between these nations and are talking about the issues in as peaceful way as you can but still trying to make a bit of difference, hoping that the situation will change in the future.

I really hope that you are willing to watch the video that I have attached to my message, which is from IMN (Iceland Music News) and I am so happy to see that the younger generation of Israelis seem to be really open to change in their mindset regarding the situation and hopefully there is a hope for a more peaceful future between these two nations. I really really hope so. I know both sides need to be willing to change and I'm sure there are also young Palestinians who are willing to end this conflict too in a peaceful manner.

DelX

In a Youtube video published by Iceland Music News titled WE HATE GOODBYES on the 19th May 2019, Hatari gave a comment about the flag appearance in the show…

Extract from the video …
IMN: Boys, yesterday, you performed an act which will very likely be remembered not only in the history of Eurovision but the history of mankind.
Tell me a little bit about this.

Matthías:
First and foremost, I want to say that we are very grateful for all the support that we have had. We’ve received some very heart-warming messages from all over. Everyone who supported the journey, the list of people is too long to read. There are just so many people we would like to thank and give warm regards to, but as I said were really grateful.

IMN: Klemens, anything you would like to add?

Klemens:
Yes. We were of course unsure of if we should have used the flags – this was something planned only by the company Svikamylla. We just wanted to do our act but we had to obey Svikamylla because otherwise we would have potentially lost our jobs.

IMN: How has the reaction been in Israel after your act yesterday?

Matthías:
The reaction has been overwhelming, tell-tale and eye opening, motivating, but also difficult. Nothing of what we have done or said during the journey has been with malevolence. We want the Israel nation to know that we come out with Hope – not Hatred. Hope for Israel and for Palestine.
-----

Then the interview moved on and they discussed barbequing :D

Milos-BC

Just to add briefly...In the context of the song itself and the performance, this was definitely one of the most iconic packages for me ever and I am glad that :is: got one of the best results ever as well :D I am grateful for an opportunity to discover a band like this and I will keep following their work. Too bad for the technical issues that Matthias had, but overall, they didn't have a chance to score higher, so a top 10 result is great and well deserved.

Everything else that goes out of the mentioned scope is a topic for another discussion and another subforum.

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread is now open again. There is to be no more political discussion whatsoever. Failure to adhere to this will result in further action being taken.

nunaney

^ everyone remember to follow that rule and just enjoy the music

Not one of my biggest favorites of their songs but Bashar's part is really cool. It's weird having a song with no Klemens in it. I wish they could have found a small part for him to do.

watersoup

Not one of my biggest favorites of their songs but Bashar's part is really cool. It's weird having a song with no Klemens in it. I wish they could have found a small part for him to do.

Bashar's parts... just WOW

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

A BOP

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Haven't been on the forum in over a week, so a bit late to the party here. I didn't actually watch the final this year (partly for political reasons, but mostly because I had other plans that evening), but I voted for Hatari, because I hoped they would do something like this. And I also like the song. ;) Their new song is even better tho. :)

(I did try to vote for Azerbaijan too btw, as they were my favorite, but due to not watching the final, I was a bit late with my votes, and only the Icelandic votes went thru)

Lolinna

Hatari feat. BASHAR MURAD with their new song Klefi / Samed live in RUV studio last night. Splendid performance and what a fantastic voice from Bashar xheat

Lolinna

It's different when you try to make propoganda or trying for real to make a real peace effort between people. That's the point. Iceland must be away from the contest.

x0s I´m sorry but you are such a hypocrite. When it suits you it is a peace effort, and if it does not suit you it is a proganda!! Many will see Hatari as an effort for peace between Israel and Palestinia, and you obviously saw Israel´s song in 2009 as a peace effort. If you could just look at this with a neutral perspective or just admit that the 2009 song had a political message!

Top Bottom