Contact us

What are you currently reading?

Mainshow

Veteran
Working in a book store is indeed great. I have always loved reading and even though I am working at the cash desk, I can still give some recommendation. Sadly, - due to my studying - I'm not really keen on reading as much as I used to (because I have to read tons of papers for university).

Anyway, I am quite excited about getting to know more about the Targaryens and the world of the Seven Kingdoms before the "actual" story of Game of Thrones kicked in.
I already loved the story behind Aegon, the conqueror, and his sisters! - It still feels a bit like a "real" book of history.. so I can't read many pages as once (as already mentioned), though.

Oh, that's a pity that that family tree isn't included in your edition. I bought the German translation, though. The cover of the book is "doubled" somehow (like extra thick) and you can take away the cover, unfold it like a map and if you turn it around you will get a whole family tree which is like 55x45cm in its size.... It's stunning and amazing to get so much information at once! - I will be in Scotland next year - maybe I should show it to you (after making you jealous) lol.

I like it that you find my proposed plot twist to be interesting.. seriously, even though I love Daenerys and Jon, I would love it to see D+J coming together, defending the Seven Kingdoms, killing the Night King and putting Cersei into prison just to see Sansa betraying Jon and getting the throne in the end (whilst Cersei is laughing her ass off whilst being arrested) [I guess that GoT has already made me going slightly mad]

It's great that we share the same favourite characters.. OMG I LOVED Margaery. - I kinda loved Cersei a bit too but I will never ever forgive her for blowing Margaery up.
Tyrion has been getting on my nerves lately... Like how he's trying to convince Daenerys to not take action, to not punish her enemies and comparing her to her father. I mean.. C'mon that's coming from someone who killed his own father whilst his victim was sitting on the toilet :D

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Working in a book store is indeed great. I have always loved reading and even though I am working at the cash desk, I can still give some recommendation. Sadly, - due to my studying - I'm not really keen on reading as much as I used to (because I have to read tons of papers for university).

Same, I used to read a whole lot more but ever since I started university my motivation for reading has been quite low. I'm slowly starting to recover though. What are you studying? :D
Anyway, I am quite excited about getting to know more about the Targaryens and the world of the Seven Kingdoms before the "actual" story of Game of Thrones kicked in.
I already loved the story behind Aegon, the conqueror, and his sisters! - It still feels a bit like a "real" book of history.. so I can't read many pages as once (as already mentioned), though.

Leave it on George Martin to make even "fake" history realistic. :lol: I can already see myself taking it reaaaally slow, since I'm not used to reading much literature in English.

Oh, that's a pity that that family tree isn't included in your edition. I bought the German translation, though. The cover of the book is "doubled" somehow (like extra thick) and you can take away the cover, unfold it like a map and if you turn it around you will get a whole family tree which is like 55x45cm in its size.... It's stunning and amazing to get so much information at once! - I will be in Scotland next year - maybe I should show it to you (after making you jealous) lol.

I like it that you find my proposed plot twist to be interesting.. seriously, even though I love Daenerys and Jon, I would love it to see D+J coming together, defending the Seven Kingdoms, killing the Night King and putting Cersei into prison just to see Sansa betraying Jon and getting the throne in the end (whilst Cersei is laughing her ass off whilst being arrested) [I guess that GoT has already made me going slightly mad]

It's great that we share the same favourite characters.. OMG I LOVED Margaery. - I kinda loved Cersei a bit too but I will never ever forgive her for blowing Margaery up.
Tyrion has been getting on my nerves lately... Like how he's trying to convince Daenerys to not take action, to not punish her enemies and comparing her to her father. I mean.. C'mon that's coming from someone who killed his own father whilst his victim was sitting on the toilet :D

Damn, I'm jealous on the German edition! :lol: I want a map now, will sue Martin. Have fun in Scotland! I love their landscapes xheart

Sansa betraying Jon in the very last second of Game of Thrones would be such...Game of thrones! xrofl2 Can't end it without a taste of intrigue and betrayal eh?

I loved Margaery too and I was looking forward to her plots. Kinda sad that Cersei outsmarted her, oh well. Yeah, I used to like Cersei too, but in the last season she was this close to be the Mad Queen. I share your view about Tyrion, he wasn't at his best in season 7. Here's hoping that he'll come around in the end :D (if they make a Jon-Tyrion-Daenerys I will be proper pissed tho, do we really need that?)

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Just finished Norse mythology by Neil Gaiman. Oh my goodness. It might be because my whole knowledge about Norse gods comes from Marvel movies, but I did not expect the nordic gods to be this messed up. Makes me reevaluate Zeus and his crew. Wow, not so crazy after all, compared to Loki and many other gods who have the weirdest plans. Anyway, it's worth a read :D

Ausesken

It took me more time than usual, but finally I finished reading the 2nd part of Outlander. I was very disappointed when I read the start because the story wasn't like I wanted it to be, but in the end I loved it and I'm looking forward to buy the 3rd book.

I will wait some time before buying it, though :mrgreen: because now I've started reading a book I got as present for Christmas: "Yo, Julia". A book about Julia Domna, the boss of empresses :cool: (after Livia Drusila). I know this writer because I've read his two trilogies, one about Scipio Africanus and the other about the emperor Trajan (the 2nd best emperor imo, after Augustus). I'll probably like this one too.

portada_yo-julia_santiago-posteguillo_201810191101.jpg

Btw, I can't express how much I hate the cover of the book. Why? Because THIS was what Julia Domna looked like:

julia-domna.jpg

Why is it so difficult to throw away the image we have of women in Antiquity, based just on films? Why is it so difficult to accept that they didn't look as "cool" as we imagined? xshrug

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
It took me more time than usual, but finally I finished reading the 2nd part of Outlander. I was very disappointed when I read the start because the story wasn't like I wanted it to be, but in the end I loved it and I'm looking forward to buy the 3rd book.

Ha I was just wondering where did you get with the Outlander series. :lol: I cannot find the second book anywhere here, it's getting annoying smh. Is the second one about Paris and Battle of Culloden? What did you expect to be different?

Ausesken

Ha I was just wondering where did you get with the Outlander series. :lol: I cannot find the second book anywhere here, it's getting annoying smh. Is the second one about Paris and Battle of Culloden? What did you expect to be different?

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Oh I see :mrgreen: Wow, they really did one season = one book :lol:

JSSArcos

Well, I do not have much time to read (unfortunately, but I'll try to read more) :D

I'm currently reading 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (in Portuguese of course) ;)

81o9vblSjmL.jpg

I'm on page 59, right now I'm really enjoying it, I recommend it to everyone. For now it mainly addresses the themes of Facism, Communism, Liberalism, the technological revolution (and its Consequences ) ... Tackling 21 topics

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
[MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] Wow, nice! :D I bought Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by the same author and I will start it soon :mrgreen:

Ausesken

xthink I think we have both in the library, but I didn't pay much attention to them. I will take a look then XD

...bff... my 'book waiting list' is getting too long, considering that the Outlander series is made of ¿8? giant books :lol: and every time new books arrive to the library I add two or three more XD

B3stbeats

portada_latin-lovers_emilio-del-rio_201811271131.jpg

Latin Lovers
La lengua que hablamos(aunque no nos demos cuenta)

Latin Lovers:
The language we speak (although we do not realize it)

«From Asterix to Brexit», «On this pizza I will build the Roman Empire», «Latin is the milk» or «From Spartacus to Grease» are the titles of some of the chapters that make up this entertaining book.

Emilio del Río shows us, through a multitude of references to sport, economy, food, cinema or music, that Latin is very much alive among us, and not only in the cultured records, but in the colloquial culture without that we are aware of it.

Around three weeks ago, I saw that book in a supplement to a newspaper from my region. My face was "I want that, now, NOWWW". Finally, when I went to Ourense in a French excursion, I could buy the book. One of my teachers said we mustn't walk alone when we got free time before return tothe bus. I'm a rebel for walk alone, sorry, I was the only one who loves read, and this book is important for my health.

I really recomend to read this book because you read at least one chapter and you don't stop to say WOOOOO, like:

Brexit is Latin: Br-(braetania, the french región, not Great Britain) and -exit (Did you know "exit" is a latin Word and not english?) = Exit of Bretania (Asterix breaks free)

Teaisloveable

About 25% in and so far so good.

"In a country teetering on the brink of civil war, two young people meet—sensual, fiercely independent Nadia and gentle, restrained Saeed. They embark on a furtive love affair and are soon cloistered in a premature intimacy by the unrest roiling their city. When it explodes, turning familiar streets into a patchwork of checkpoints and bomb blasts, they begin to hear whispers about doors—doors that can whisk people far away, if perilously and for a price. As the violence escalates, Nadia and Saeed decide that they no longer have a choice. Leaving their homeland and their old lives behind, they find a door and step through."

EDIT: Just finished it, would recommend.

Ausesken

I just finished reading “Yo, Julia” by Santiago Posteguillo. I loved it. However, I guess I know the reason why he won the biggest award of literature in Spain: because it contains a feminist message. As a woman I like reading stories where women are powerful. As historian, I don’t like stories that exaggerate some women’s power in history. I am a fan of empress Julia Domna, but I just don’t believe she was the only brain in the marriage. Better said, we don’t have any proof that she was SO decisive in the fight for the power, and this novel turns Severus into a man who only knows about military strategy/intelligence, while his wife is being given all the political intelligence. I’d say it’s the new feminist cliché: men can fight, women can think XD. No, bro. Severus must have been an intelligent man in its own. At the end of the book the author talks about women in history. Man, if you are not historian you shouldn’t talk about certain things like you were writing a cientific essay about it... He says the accusations of promiscuity against Julia Domna were written way after the last member of that dinasy died. Right, I agree on that. But then he says that Julia has been accused of being promiscuous and then ‘ignored’ by historians and novelists because she was a woman, a foreigner woman, and that we shouldn’t believe those accusations. He should remember that some emperors have been accused of being completely crazy and cruel by authors that also wrote way after they had died, but it’s ok believing it because they are talking about a man and not a woman, right? Who cares about a man’s reputation in history...

Well, despite all this, I can say I really liked this book. Sometimes it reminded me why I wanted to be specifically a military historian.

gibbs32130

I am currently reading right now is brawling go manga and I think this is one of the best manga. This is my favourite.

Ausesken

Well days ago I started reading a book of Anne Perry because I didn’t want to read the same all the time, and it’s a bit boring. I don’t leave it because I want to know how it ends, but the way she writes makes it repetitive and very slow. I already bought the 3rd book of Outlander though XD it’s awaiting its time.

However, I will have to stop reading novels for a while :( I’ll be reading stuff I need to study

MyHeartIsYours

I rarely read fiction books, always non-fiction lol. I'm reading Debrett's Kings and Queens of Britain :D

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Last week I finished a small book called Dreams: Vintage Minis, which is an ideas mix from the books The Essentials of Psycho-Analysis and The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of the Sigmund Freud, Volume IV: The Interpretation of Dreams (First Part) by Sigmund Freud. I have to say it was quite...wild :lol: Freud's presumptions are deeply outdated by now, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

aletem

"Is Harry on the boat?"

Considering some of the other books I've been reading, this is completely different. After I finished reading "Sands of time" by Sheldon and rereading "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown, this is a whole new level of contrast. Just think of Ibiza, parties and sex. :lol: Can't wait to see the movie after I finish reading the book.

Merlina

I love books with a real story, so now I read Educated by Tara Westover. Love it

Top Bottom