Contact us

2019 shaping up to be a bad year

Playfulmitch

Sad to say that this is shaping up to be the most boring Eurovision in about 10+ years!

This has been such a great decade for Eurovision with each year building on the previous one and more and more credible, quality songs get selected.

But I feel we are closing out the decade with an overwhelming batch of bland, forgettable songs.

Does anyone else agree?

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Yes well, not every year is going to be strong. This year is mediocre so far, but I'll enjoy it never the less. It's still far off from actually bad esc years, so...

KingJulian

Well I can see why people complain about quality of entries but let's be real this ESC won't be boring. We'll probably have plenty of over the top performances, music genres never seen at Eurovision before and (like in 2018) quite many non-english songs.

mauve

Veteran
It was a really bad year until this past weekend when the bangers came! xcheer There are many songs I really can't listen to, some mediocre and a few very good songs. And these "few" make it to an "okay"-year. Compared to for example 2009, this is a very weak year, but not the worst anymore.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Yes there are some deceptive choices, but for me it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. We have quite a few interesting entries with various genres we still hadn't seen in Eurovision, a good number of songs in the mother language (it's actually one of the main reasons I follow Eurovision).
Most songs didn't get more than a 6 from me, but it happens every year so no I'm not too disappointed.

Schlagerman1

With last year being extremly good in my opinion, I did get the feeling that it would be slightly weaker. Though thanks to last weekend, the quality did improve quite a lot and now I really looking forward to the show in Tel Aviv.
However, all these complains, not only on this year, but also on people liking songs that people don't like (like France for example) is completly pointless, let people like what they want. I always try to be positive and even if I have a few songs that I don't like or don't care about, I always give them a chance to grow. Cause there have been a few in the past that on the night, made a complete 360 and went from the bottom to the top (Iceland 2009 and Albania 2012 are the biggest examples of this).

EscGeek

Veteran
There it is! Our annual thread makes a return after one year hiatus:lol:
I agree this time though. I hope i'll like at least more than 50% of songs in the end. (Which is still a low number)

Yeah... Another ''This gonna be a bad year''-thread even if we only have heard 26 of the 41 entries yet.
Even if I agree this year is more on the mediocre side of song quality overall, but we have to see what the remaining entries have to offer.

hijirio

Veteran
Actually it's not that this year is full of horrible songs. It's just that there are many mediocre middle ground ones that I rank around 5-7. 2017 and 2018 were so good with many different genres and expremential songs, they put the stake so high. 2019 was a downfall compared to them.

popavapeur

the songs aren't bad at all, it's just they're beige. So it feels weak.
during the 00's we had a lot of BAD SONGS but some were entertaining. So it depends on what side you are : A quality ESC to make the contest look more serious and relevant but with a lot of beige quality radio songs OR an unbalanced ESC with a lot of entertaining crap and a few hits that will stand outs but it will look like a freakshow-circus from people outside the bubble.

aef

Normally I'm quite annoyed by those threads but I tend to agree this year. Well it's not exactly bad but there are MANY very boring or bland songs... Or songs I just don't like. You see, I'd say that topic is always deeply relying on personal taste... So I think it's quite an useless discussion.

I like it that 2019 could be a very open year though... I don't really expect :ru: to send that strong frontrunner (but of course they will stay in the group of possible contenders I guess). Countries like :at: :ch: :am: :az: and so on could still totally surprise of course but I think that's not very likely. I looks like there will be a bunch of favourites, just like in 2011

Realest

This year will be like 2015 and 17 where 9-10 good Songs will get 85-90% of all Televotes.

aef

This year will be like 2015 and 17 where 9-10 good Songs will get 85-90% of all Televotes.

Yeah you might be right with that and maybe it will be also more like 2015 than 2011 in terms of having kinda tight race at the top but not such a diverse voting like in 2011...

Kruto

Last year is overrated, I only loved one song and liked a few others, now I already have two that I absolutely love.

Alaska49

someone KILL THIS DAMN NARRATIVE ALREADY it's beyond dumb lmao it's like people actively want the year to be bad at this point

BorisBubbles

Veteran
someone KILL THIS DAMN NARRATIVE ALREADY it's beyond dumb lmao it's like people actively want the year to be bad at this point

Precisely. Spoiler: this year was OKAY even before Saturday and guess what, it's still fucking OKAY right bloody now.

Ichbinjari

The best still has to come. Sweden, Russia, Netherlands, Austria, Azerbaijan are always serving it! (with exceptions ofcourse). I also think Switzerland and Greece can suprise us in a good way :)

Realest

The last 3-4 days saved this year.

Top Bottom