14 5.3%

12 4.5%

10 3.8%

17 6.4%

3 1.1%

29 10.9%

• Total voters

tuorem

Not here for that first version tbh: it was loud and noisy. I wonder why there was such a heavy instrumentation, it killed the beautiful melody and turned the whole thing into a meh mess. Not only it drowned Elina's voice, it also didn't set any particular atmosphere. The less-is-more approach did wonders imo.

The girl seemed high af. I can't believe RTP couldn't ask for a lyrical singer to do this instead.

laululind

I think the actual stand-in rehearsals had a proper singer. At least I seem to recall an article where someone was saying the stand-in was a local opera singer and did a fine job, altho' she didn't quite manage the last few super-high notes. :lol: I think this clip is from the voting rehearsal, where random volunteers were acting out the parts.

henhu

This woman is Alyona Movko who was video designer for the dress. And it was in jury final winner performance indeed :)

John1

The girl seemed high af. I can't believe RTP couldn't ask for a lyrical singer to do this instead.

OMGGGGG I'M DYING RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY SALAD COMPUTER. :lol: :lol:

kayak

She was too good for this year's contest. Her incredible opera voice, amazing dress and her appearance .. that was epic. Her song is on my daily playlist on Spotify! Thank you Estonia for this high class entry! I hope you do well next year!

wtf

Elina continues working with the composers of La Forza and hopes to release an album by winter. xcheer

I haven't been this excited for an Estonian album in a long time. It'll be epic. xheart

wtf

Also, she revealed that she has some projects with fellow Eurovision participants in works. :D

John1

I'm utterly looking forward to having a look at the impressive review from [MENTION=9195]tuorem[/MENTION] about this entry. This is definitely among my secret guilty pleasures of this year. xheat

Lindon

Elina and Cesar will perform tomorrow in Linz.

https://www.klassikamdom.at/cesar-sampson/

Actually, Cesár Sampson will perform at the "Klassik am Dom" Open Air in Linz in less than two hours. For the concert in front of the Mariendom (beginning at 8 pm), Sampson has compiled a very special selection of songs in addition to his ESC contribution, which will be performed for the first and only time this evening with a live band. Among them are titles from legends that have shaped the musical career of Cesár: Prince, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Queen, Bobby Womack, D'Angelo, Peter Gabriel, Amy Winehouse, Roy Ayers, Christopher Cross and Sam Smith.

So all songs will be rearranged under the motto "Soul, Funk and R'n'B meets classical music".*
Guest star will be Elina, she performs her ESC hit.

Hopefully nobody is freezing at the site. Within 24 hours the temperature dropped more than 20 degrees.

tuorem

Well, I wasn't planning to review the Eurovision entries of 2018 in depth like I did for a few years because it is hella time-consuming and I honestly didn't have the courage either. :oops: But for [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] , I will leave my comment on the Estonian effort. :)

Song: You know guys I love Estonia in the contest, to me they've sent some truly awesome songs this last decade, most of which did very well, yet ended up being underrated imo: Rändajad, Kuula, Goodbye To Yesterday, Verona... Estonians know how to come up with songs with wide appeal that aren't bland or uninteresting. Of course, they make some mistakes from time to time (Tanja's "Amazing"...), but it happens to everyone. After getting my life with Verona last year - and because I always found in Eesti Laul two or three songs that deserved to be heard in the contest besides the winner - I decided to follow their national selection live for the first time ever: a decision that I don't regret because I enjoyed the three shows a lot. I even think it's the best NF on every aspect, hence why I'd be thrilled to see Estonians win and host. So, let's talk about the winning song "La Forza", which I rooted for from day one. To me, even though there were other interesting efforts in the final lineup (like "Laura (Walk With Me)" and "(Can't Keep Calling) Misty"), it was a no-brainer. The song had a great production, thoughtful arrangements and most importantly, a wonderful melody. Many criticized the fact "La Forza" was just an excuse to show off Elina's voice - and I don't judge - but I do disagree, since a gripping tune is what one cares about first, and this song definitely has one. The first reason why I fell in love with it is that it has a very cinematic atmosphere, I could totally picture it in a video game for instance. Secondly, I always respected operatic efforts in the contest but wished someone would someday come up with more than a lyrical voice paired with a pop tune. My wish was fulfilled because "La Forza" is melodically on the classical side and probably as close to an actual aria as one could get in the contest. For more appeal potential - apart from the strings - drums were added to the composition to give it a bit more oomph and thus make it more "palatable" to the average listener. For once, we got arrangements that didn't cheapen the whole thing. Special mention to the additional sounds used to great effect - like the space-like throbbing - which subtly enhance the dreamlike nature of the song. I appreciated the fact there was no random dance beat or key-change, because that's how a song could quickly be turned into something cliché and/or tasteless. To sum up, "La Forza" is a classy and dreamlike classical music-infused entry: the perfect operatic crossover I was waiting for. It's an eleven out of ten for me.

Voice: Despite her young age, Elina Nechayeva is an accomplished opera singer. I thought her live performances in Eesti Laul were great already, but she managed to polish her vocals and interpretation for the better afterwards. I mean, come on! That grand final performance was her best one, perfect and mastered from start to finish. Apart from the obvious vocal technique, I like her vocal tone: it's very round and clear during the choruses, while it's almost sultry and misty during the verses. I'm not sure if this dichotomy exists on purpose or if her voice does that naturally, but I like it a lot. As expected, she never disappointed live and even managed to outdo herself for the grand final. Well done!

Staging: Lisbon 2018 was a worry to many due to the lack of LED screens and - although I liked the former presentation in Eesti Laul - I was amazed by the major upgrade they went for in the end. Yes, we lost the whole "angel-coming-from-outer-space-to-bless-us-all" vibe to end up with a "goddess-of-love-emotional-journey" one. In hindsight, all the changes they made visually were for the better, it looked way more high-end and impressive with the epic projections. The camera work could have been refined (Eesti Laul was more immersive in this regard), yet there were striking angles like the close-ups of Elina's face during the verses. I appreciate the fact they maintained a balance between her and her dress, and didn't make the mistake of making it all about the dress. Regarding the projections, they looked awesome: from ice to water, from seeds to flower, the symbols nicely summed up the meaning of the song and the phases one goes through when falling in love. Even if the song was strong enough to "stand" on its own, I feel like it demanded an epic but balanced staging, which imo the Estonian team got right. Personally, I had two highlights only during this edition, one being the moment when the first chorus begins and ice spreads out on Elina... It was both visually and musically an arresting moment imo. Goosebumps guaranteed! That's what I thought would make her reach the first place.

Conclusion: Estonia qualified for the final after two years of non-qualification. Eventually, they placed 8th in the grand final, due to juries ranking them 6th and viewers ranking them 9th. Yes, it felt good to see Estonians making it, yes an eighth place is an achievement... but I can't help thinking it wasn't enough and they were once again underrated. I mean, bearing in mind juries tend to prefer standardised entries, 6th place from them was pretty decent, even though Elina received way less points than their top 5. However, I was really disappointed with televoters who voted for her more or less the same way they supported Jacques Houdek the year before. I really wanted Tallinn 2019, but nevermind, I'm glad at least "La Forza" wasn't butchered by anyone. For the first time since I follow Eurovision, Estonia was my absolute number 1 this year: there was Elina, then the rest. I hope you guys were happy with your result nonetheless, and I look forward to your contribution next year because you're lit! You really are! xheart You and Hungary are on my radar for a potential victory in the years to come. :)

This review was really short compared with what I could say about it. I would have to dissect it entirely to do it justice, but it would take hours and hours I fear :lol: Anyway, long live "La Forza", another iconic moment for the contest posterity.

John1

Well, I wasn't planning to review the Eurovision entries of 2018 in depth like I did for a few years because it is hella time-consuming and I honestly didn't have the courage either. :oops: But for [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] , I will leave my comment on the Estonian effort. :)

Song: You know guys I love Estonia in the contest, to me they've sent some truly awesome songs this last decade, most of which did very well, yet ended up being underrated imo: Rändajad, Kuula, Goodbye To Yesterday, Verona... Estonians know how to come up with songs with wide appeal that aren't bland or uninteresting. Of course, they make some mistakes from time to time (Tanja's "Amazing"...), but it happens to everyone. After getting my life with Verona last year - and because I always found in Eesti Laul two or three songs that deserved to be heard in the contest besides the winner - I decided to follow their national selection live for the first time ever: a decision that I don't regret because I enjoyed the three shows a lot. I even think it's the best NF on every aspect, hence why I'd be thrilled to see Estonians win and host. So, let's talk about the winning song "La Forza", which I rooted for from day one. To me, even though there were other interesting efforts in the final lineup (like "Laura (Walk With Me)" and "(Can't Keep Calling) Misty"), it was a no-brainer. The song had a great production, thoughtful arrangements and most importantly, a wonderful melody. Many criticized the fact "La Forza" was just an excuse to show off Elina's voice - and I don't judge - but I do disagree, since a gripping tune is what one cares about first, and this song definitely has one. The first reason why I fell in love with it is that it has a very cinematic atmosphere, I could totally picture it in a video game for instance. Secondly, I always respected operatic efforts in the contest but wished someone would someday come up with more than a lyrical voice paired with a pop tune. My wish was fulfilled because "La Forza" is melodically on the classical side and probably as close to an actual aria as one could get in the contest. For more appeal potential - apart from the strings - drums were added to the composition to give it a bit more oomph and thus make it more "palatable" to the average listener. For once, we got arrangements that didn't cheapen the whole thing. Special mention to the additional sounds used to great effect - like the space-like throbbing - which subtly enhance the dreamlike nature of the song. I appreciated the fact there was no random dance beat or key-change, because that's how a song could quickly be turned into something cliché and/or tasteless. To sum up, "La Forza" is a classy and dreamlike classical music-infused entry: the perfect operatic crossover I was waiting for. It's an eleven out of ten for me.

Voice: Despite her young age, Elina Nechayeva is an accomplished opera singer. I thought her live performances in Eesti Laul were great already, but she managed to polish her vocals and interpretation for the better afterwards. I mean, come on! That grand final performance was her best one, perfect and mastered from start to finish. Apart from the obvious vocal technique, I like her vocal tone: it's very round and clear during the choruses, while it's almost sultry and misty during the verses. I'm not sure if this dichotomy exists on purpose or if her voice does that naturally, but I like it a lot. As expected, she never disappointed live and even managed to outdo herself for the grand final. Well done!

Staging: Lisbon 2018 was a worry to many due to the lack of LED screens and - although I liked the former presentation in Eesti Laul - I was amazed by the major upgrade they went for in the end. Yes, we lost the whole "angel-coming-from-outer-space-to-bless-us-all" vibe to end up with a "goddess-of-love-emotional-journey" one. In hindsight, all the changes they made visually were for the better, it looked way more high-end and impressive with the epic projections. The camera work could have been refined (Eesti Laul was more immersive in this regard), yet there were striking angles like the close-ups of Elina's face during the verses. I appreciate the fact they maintained a balance between her and her dress, and didn't make the mistake of making it all about the dress. Regarding the projections, they looked awesome: from ice to water, from seeds to flower, the symbols nicely summed up the meaning of the song and the phases one goes through when falling in love. Even if the song was strong enough to "stand" on its own, I feel like it demanded an epic but balanced staging, which imo the Estonian team got right. Personally, I had two highlights only during this edition, one being the moment when the first chorus begins and ice spreads out on Elina... It was both visually and musically an arresting moment imo. Goosebumps guaranteed! That's what I thought would make her reach the first place.

Conclusion: Estonia qualified for the final after two years of non-qualification. Eventually, they placed 8th in the grand final, due to juries ranking them 6th and viewers ranking them 9th. Yes, it felt good to see Estonians making it, yes an eighth place is an achievement... but I can't help thinking it wasn't enough and they were once again underrated. I mean, bearing in mind juries tend to prefer standardised entries, 6th place from them was pretty decent, even though Elina received way less points than their top 5. However, I was really disappointed with televoters who voted for her more or less the same way they supported Jacques Houdek the year before. I really wanted Tallinn 2019, but nevermind, I'm glad at least "La Forza" wasn't butchered by anyone. For the first time since I follow Eurovision, Estonia was my absolute number 1 this year: there was Elina, then the rest. I hope you guys were happy with your result nonetheless, and I look forward to your contribution next year because you're lit! You really are! xheart You and Hungary are on my radar for a potential victory in the years to come. :)

This review was really short compared with what I could say about it. I would have to dissect it entirely to do it justice, but it would take hours and hours I fear :lol: Anyway, long live "La Forza", another iconic moment for the contest posterity.

I have to say that I'm very grateful towards you that you finally decided to make up a review of my this year's favourite entry. xheat

In fact, I basically agree with you on everything that you pointed out: from this absolutely outstanding staging to these impressive vocals, everything was on point, no matter what other people could state that would be the utter opposite of what you wrote down here. :)
Furthermore, I've also got to express my huge disappointment when it comes to award :ee: less points than this generic pop song from :se:. I mean, how on the whole world can you, as a professional juror choose to rank the latter waaaay above than this masterpiece? This is UNACCEPTABLE and almost rigged I'd say.

Anyway, you did an amazing job and I'm so glad that we got the opportunity to end up being two supporters of Elina. xheart :lol:

tuorem

I have to say that I'm very grateful towards you that you finally decided to make up a review of my this year's favourite entry. xheat

In fact, I basically agree with you on everything that you pointed out: from this absolutely outstanding staging to these impressive vocals, everything was on point, no matter what other people could state that would be the utter opposite of what you wrote down here. :)
Furthermore, I've also got to express my huge disappointment when it comes to award :ee: less points than this generic pop song from :se:. I mean, how on the whole world can you, as a professional juror choose to rank the latter waaaay above than this masterpiece? This is UNACCEPTABLE and almost rigged I'd say.

Anyway, you did an amazing job and I'm so glad that we got the opportunity to end up being two supporters of Elina. xheart :lol:

tumblr_p517xz85Z91u7uduwo1_540.gif

Realest

Benjamins Entry was pure Jury-friendlyness. His Top5 Finish was predicted even before he won MF. And the fact that the predictions came true 2 Months later, proves that the Juries did their Job right.

tuorem

Live performance on July 19th, in Latvia. I don't think it's been posted.

They added some live instruments (that were a bit too loud imo), and Elina freestyles a bit vocally during the last chorus :D She's stunning as always.

Mainshow

Veteran
12 pts - stunning and classy entry and amazing visuals. Had goosebumps.Voted for it a few times as well

mauve

Veteran
Just re-listened to that entry again … still stunning. Compared to this, the new entries seem very bad … :(

Top Bottom