Contact us

ESC 2014 in Copenhagen - all the news

No Name

What are your wishes for host-city, venue etc.? It seems it's gonna be a battle between Copenhagen and Herning, and according to me, the following arenas will be the strongest candidates for the job:

Parken, Copenhagen
Capacity: 40.000
izeSAaa.jpg

VhD6PvQ.jpg

Pros
- It's located in our wonderful capital - by far the preferable option for fans and delegations
- They've done it before, they will know what to improve

Cons
- Problems with the sound is a returning problem when concerts are held and the acoustics aren't optimal due to its size (with proper preparation this should be fixable though)
- Will it be able to fill up 40.000 people for three shows? Doubtfully.

Boxen, Herning
Capacity: 15.000

Nj0P6J9.jpg

IzbmsyP.jpg

Pros
- It has amazing sound and is pretty much built for an event like ESC - neither too big nor too small
- It would very much be in line with EBU's desire to downsize ESC as this is about the same size as Malmö Arena

Cons
- Herning is a provincial city with only 50.000 inhabitants. Danish 2nd-biggest city, Aarhus, is almost a two-hour drive away by train, so it's a huge question-mark what the fans and delegations would be doing while not being in the arena.

Copenhagen Arena
Capacity: 15.000

486brPJ.png

Pros
- What's not to like about it? It's in the capital. It's close to airport, city center, everything! And to top that off, it has a unique design which is what Denmark is known for internationally already.

Cons
- Not build yet. It's scheduled to be ready in 2015, but on the other hand, Azerbaijan finished their Crystal Hall in less than a year, so surely DR must be able to pull this off (although it would result in even sky-high taxes, higher than we pay already)

Forum, Copenhagen
Capacity: 10.000

oOsnsaS.jpg

sUtwNnN.jpg

There are a couple of more cities who made their bids, but so far it seems it's gonna be a two-horse race between Copenhagen and Herning.

No Name

Re: ESC 2014 in Denmark - where should we host it?

Personally I'd prefer Copenhagen by the way. Herning would seriously have to co-operate with Aarhus, and their infrastructure should be massively improved. Aarhus would have to provide the needed hotel-capacity for fans and delegations. But as already said, Aarhus, although 2nd-largest city with 300.000 inhabitants, is still a two-hour drive away from Herning. Massive down-side.

Impressive

Banned

I love how looks Copenhagen Arena but in three of them Boxen would be the best decision to turn it Eurovision stage, I guess. xthink

cactus99

Personally I'd prefer Copenhagen by the way. Herning would seriously have to co-operate with Aarhus, and their infrastructure should be massively improved. Aarhus would have to provide the needed hotel-capacity for fans and delegations. But as already said, Aarhus, although 2nd-largest city with 300.000 inhabitants, is still a two-hour drive away from Herning. Massive down-side.

You forgot the arena located in "Copenhagen M" ... :lol:

A-lister

Veteran

Parken has awful acoustic, 2001 wasn't a good ESC in terms of production or anything (I really hope Denmark will step up their game this time around, because 2001 just looked like a convention center meeting with a regular stage).

It would be logical to host it in Copenhagen, but as far as arenas goes Boxen would probably fit a TV-production like ESC better than Parken... and Copenhagen Arena won't be ready in time, Denmark is no Azerbaijan! :lol:

doctormalisimo

Not build yet. It's scheduled to be ready in 2015, but on the other hand, Azerbaijan finished their Crystal Hall in less than a year, so surely DR must be able to pull this off (although it would result in even sky-high taxes, higher than we pay already)
I dont think you want to do what Azerbaijan did. I'd enjoy ESC more if I knew a whole neighbourhood of Copenhagen wasnt evicted because of it :D

NikkiBoy

It must be Parken, because Sweden host it in an Arena like Jyske Bank Boxen, but i think that the stage was so small. All the energy was gone :(

A-lister

Veteran

It must be Parken, because Sweden host it in an Arena like Jyske Bank Boxen, but i think that the stage was so small. All the energy was gone :(

ESC 2001 was pretty awful, sorry to say, but ESC 2000 was better in a smaller arena... 2001 was big but felt kinda empty, and looked like a convention center meeting rather than ESC :lol:

If they can fix the acoustic problems and manage a great production and cool stage this time around, then sure Parken would be good... but it's not ideally built for a purpose like this.

Yamarus

Why is Boxen Arena, which seems perfect, located in the middle of nowhere?

I have dreadful images of ESC 2001 so if they're planning on organising it in Parken they'll have to learn from the past!

randajad

Veteran

Do it wherever you want, just do it like you do DMGP. :D

Impressive

Banned

Do it wherever you want, just do it like you do DMGP. :D

If I am not mistaking (AFAIK DMGP is National final of Denmark), the stage is very non-shaped and a few botherable. Whole front of stage is so useless. I wouldn't want to see something like that.

A-lister

Veteran

Why is Boxen Arena, which seems perfect, located in the middle of nowhere?

I have dreadful images of ESC 2001 so if they're planning on organising it in Parken they'll have to learn from the past!

Yeah, it seems kinda randomly positioned :lol: But yeah, also Jylland deserve to have a good arena.

Problem with Parken is that it's kinda old and not 100% fit to TV events like these...

Yeah, 2001 was a bad production... :/ Dunno if Parken was the issue or lack of technical solutions back then xshrug

I'd love for a huge ESC, but I'm just not sure Parken is that good for this... sadly the new arena in CPH won't be ready until 2015.

No Name

I dont think you want to do what Azerbaijan did. I'd enjoy ESC more if I knew a whole neighbourhood of Copenhagen wasnt evicted because of it :D

The difference between the building of Copenhagen Arena and Crystal Hall is that Copenhagen Arena has been in the planning-zone for about a year already, so location and stuff is already taken care off. No bulldozers will be needed. On the other hand, Azerbaijan's building of Crystal Hall was an impulsive decision made right after their victory.

LoveHate

Boxen > Parken
Copenhagen > Herning

Tough choice. Is Forum Copenhagen out of the question? I guess that would be around 8.000 spectators.

Sven

I didn't saw ESC 2001 in Copenhagen and don't know anything about the technical problems??

Malmö did a very good job with a Small Arena. All Shows were full, the Stage was one of the best (not too big or small).
I think Herning could do it well, too. But Copenhagen is the best place for Hotels or Traffic.
But another question is: What about FC Copenhagen??? I don't think, that the club will move to the stadium of their greatest enemy Brondby IF :D

Whether Copenhagen or Herning or Aarhus (or Aalborg), I'm sure :dk: will make a great job. Good luck

No Name

Actually there is a 3rd option for Copenhagen, and that is Forum. Dunno why I forgot to add that one.

JESC 2003 was hosted there actually, and it has a capacity of 10.000 people for concerts so it'd be capable of holding about the same people in it as Malmö did.

oOsnsaS.jpg

sUtwNnN.jpg

Verjamem

Parken Stadium or Copenhagen Arena, by me in only way. In 2011-2013, only one contest was held in capital city. Danes need to improve this statistic.

No Name

Whether Copenhagen or Herning or Aarhus (or Aalborg), I'm sure :dk: will make a great job. Good luck

Aarhus already withdrew their bid and decided to support Herning instead. If it gets to be Herning, they've announced that Aarhus and Herning will most likely co-operate about the hosting. The infrastructure between the two cities will be improved, so while fans and delegations will watch the show in Herning, most other activities such as nightlife, shopping, sight-seeing will be done in Aarhus.

No Name

But another question is: What about FC Copenhagen??? I don't think, that the club will move to the stadium of their greatest enemy Brondby IF :D

Yeah, they'd definitely have to work something out. As an FCK-fan myself, I wouldn't mind us using another stadium temporarily if it was for ESC. :p

Quent91

Parken Stadium :twisted:

I want a maximum of people we can hold in a stadium to break another record :twisted:

Top Bottom