Hype in Serbia is rising with each day as Beovizija approaches. One of the seventeen performers on February 20th will be Igor Lazarević, who will perform his self-penned song Beži od mene (Run away). Igor was a superfinalist in the popular regional show Pinkove Zvezdice, so he is no stranger to the stage. We caught up with him to see how his preparations were going!
Describe yourself to our readers in just two short sentences.
– Igor is an 18 year old talented young man who knows his goals and he hopes that, with the help of a lot of work, he will accomplish them. He is versatile and believes that music is a way of life, not a kind of art.
What were your first thoughts when you were told that you would participate at Beovizija?
– I thought that I succeeded, that I achieved my goal. I was relieved because I put a lot of effort into it and the expectation created some tension. I was very happy when I found out I made the cut.
What do you expect out of your participation at Beovizija?
– I expect that I will present myself in the best possible way, that I will enjoy the stage and that I’ll gain some very valuable life experience.
How does your day look like?
– I get up very early as I need to travel about 60km by bus to reach my school in Belgrade. After I finish with my classes, I go to my school’s studio, where I sing, compose, write, arrange, record and edit my music. Sometimes I also edit sounds for movies or cartoons. After that I take the bus back home where I do my studying before working on my music again. My evenings are reserved for rest and relaxation and I like to spend it with my friends. If it’s possible, I like to go to sleep early so I can rest properly and do the same tomorrow.
Would you be so kind as to tell us something interesting about yourself?
– People don’t know that I am actually shy. Nobody really notices that.
How would you describe your song in just few words?
– My song is emotional, full of energy and I think young people will like it very much.
Your first Eurovision memory?
– My first Eurovision memory is from 2007, when Serbia won the contest. I remember the euphoria was all around the country. Before that I was not so interested in singing as I wasn’t aware of my talent, so I didn’t watch Eurovision.
Your favourite Eurovision song?
– My favourite song is Australian debut entry from 2015: “Tonight again” by Guy Sebastian.
And do you have any messages for Eurovision fans from all around the world?
– I want to thank all the Eurovision fans, from wherever they are, and whomever they are supporting, because they are the reason that this phenomenal festival has taken place for so long and I’m sure it will continue for many years to come.
Thanks for talking to us Igor and the very best of luck with Beži od mene on Tuesday 20th February!
Who do #YOU want to represent Serbia in Eurovision? Share your thoughts with us on our forum HERE or join the discussion below and on social media!