Contact us

Yugoslavia 1989 - Riva - Rock Me

carlosmstraductor

Rock Me Baby is a Yugoslav classic that you can hear on the radio even today. This genre was a watered down bubblegum version of a very popular type of pop-rock that in some cases like Bijelo Dugme even had some ethno elements. I don't know any other Riva song, however other similar bands are still popular and have dedicated audience. But, tbh it is more of a form of yugonostalgia and boomer music nostalgia. :lol: This song in particular is how Yugoslavia saw Eurovision since it was meant to compete and represent an easy listening track for a festival (both Jugovizija and Eurovision) that had the same easy listening reputation. Yugoslavia had "a festival culture" and obsession with all kinds of festivals, so no shocker Eurovision was huge and many of our biggest stars from Čolić, Kesovija to Novi Fosili graced the Eurovision stage.

Personally, it's campy, but fun. I love it. Also, our first victory. xheat

Sorry for my insistence, but some people even say this song has got some sexual references and even innuendo, but actually I'm not really fluent in Croatian.

randajad

Veteran
Maybe I am getting it wrong, but I don’t think so. The chorus might be an induendo because it is, well, “rock me”, but in reality it is a call for a dance. The lyrics are about a pianist that plays clssical music, but the girl is asking him to play rock so they can party. Not that deep. :lol:

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Worst winner of the 80‘s together with 1984. Still pisses me off.

Ezio

Veteran
Anyhow, I enjoyed thereorderboard 1989 a lot

Great songs from Denmark, Spain and Austria xlove this year.

carlosmstraductor

A Croatian friend of mine told me more details about this song:
I don't think anyone in Croatia considered it "sexual". The line "rock me, baby" is in English, after all. Would you consider a French line in an otherwise English song a sexual reference if you aren't much familiar with French?

Bijelo Dugme is a completely different style of pop/rock, they were stadium-fillers.

Also, the idea that "Yugoslavia has a festival culture" is generally true, but note that the festivals were very unevenly spread across Yugoslavia, with some parts quite over-represented, chiefly Dalmatia, which had less than 5% of the population of Yugoslavia, and was a pop powerhouse.

randajad

Veteran
Here, are my last two cents. I mean it's just an old yugo-schlager-new wave inspired-pop song, very simple and no hidden meanings, or political messages are involved so there's only so many things one can say. There could be a play with words, why not, especially when you consider it's English - the lingua franca. However, in this particular case I’d say there are rather not any references or innuendos, the song uses a typical dance schlager lyrics and since in 30 or so years since it was released this was the first time I have ever heard such a suggestion. Fun to investigate, but the answer is an uninteresting one, I'm afraid. Therefore if that was the idea behind the song it failed hard, but again - it was not.

Speaking of my comparison with Bijelo Dugme was an unfortunate one and kind of a ignorant one since I never considered that others are not informed about the Yugoslav musical history. They were a huge act with a long and successful career and their legacy is something that most artists, even internationally recognised ones, can only dream of. We can easily say that they are still relevant to this day. Their style changed through time, but their pop-rock base was consistent throughout their career. Riva was a one hit wonder, that used that pop rock formula and watered it down, just like I said. The genre may not be the same, but it is the very same formula - Rock Me Baby was literally what popular pop-songs sounded like in Yugoslavia.

Yugoslav festival culture is not a matter of question, it is something absolutely true and finally one of the reasons why we came back to Eurovision after the breakup. It is much more broad than just with music - there were and are festivals for anything from folklore to movies to ajvar. There's not a town that has not some kind of a festival, many of them are considered iconic. To stay focused on music and local "powerhouses", we have to consider two things - pop wasn't the most popular genre in the country (folk, new-vawe and rock were the genres that ruled the charts). and Eurovision was and still is considered as a "festival laganih nota" - festival of the "easy listening" music. However people liked Eurovision and it was held in high regard, so the very best acts were included in both Jugovizija and Eurovision.

The main music centres and the only powerhouses were Sarajevo, Belgrade and Zagreb, and if you wanted to become successful you would engage in these music scenes. My guess is that Riva's failure to join them probably was one of the reasons for their later irrelevancy. Today, we can say whatever we want, but Belgrade is absolute capital of Western Balkans' music and if you want to make it big, wherever you are from it's the only place to go and try.

Last edited:

carlosmstraductor

More opinions from a Croatian friend of mine:
I'd say it's ambiguous. You can always read this "oh, oh" as you like. But I never got impression that "rock me" is a reference to sex. At least, native Croatian speakers don't feel "rock" has something to do with sex. But a foreigner or somebody who speaks good English could have such associations, I'd guess. Even more, the song "Rock me baby", as all commercial songs are, is written to please the listener, to be fun and upbeat.

Some lyrics can be interpreted as sexual undertones. The phrase "rock me baby" and "samo neka traje"("as long as it lasts"). But the original lyrics are about a piano player as can be seen from the first few and last few lines. And the "samo neka traje" refers to the song which the piano player plays. If the author had any sexual intentions cannot be deduced. But if I had to guess, I would say it doesn't have any because the examples are too few.

I mean, this is an old trash song, not that people discussed its lyrics much. It's not "Galeb i ja" or something like it.
It's a pop song written for the Eurosong contest, while "Galeb i ja" is an outstanding song which was originally not a hit, but grew later... if you write "rock me, baby, oh oh oh oh" your intention is not to write something really serious. Moreover, it wasn't originally written for Dragojević, and the song was almost ignored when released.

Ianp16

Rock Me Baby is garbage. It's difficult to compare but if it was an entry now with a modernised backing track, it probably wouldn't qualify. The difference in standards compared from now to 1980's eurovision is HUGE. Weird to think that in most people's opinions, the 1980's were a golden age for pop music, yet the music of 1980's eurovision was so dated and bland. The UK entry which came a very close second to Celine Dion in 1989 was also complete and utter dated garbage too. Thank god it didn't win.

midnightsun

Veteran
Rock Me Baby is garbage. It's difficult to compare but if it was an entry now with a modernised backing track, it probably wouldn't qualify. The difference in standards compared from now to 1980's eurovision is HUGE. Weird to think that in most people's opinions, the 1980's were a golden age for pop music, yet the music of 1980's eurovision was so dated and bland. The UK entry which came a very close second to Celine Dion in 1989 was also complete and utter dated garbage too. Thank god it didn't win.

I don’t agree with Yugoslavia but I agree with UK 1988.

I may add that Eurovision has always been a decade after(wards) the current music scene. Always. That‘s why it was hated by the younger audience for most of the times, even nowadays although its reputation isn’t that bad anymore. But you will still find a lot of people who will mock Eurovision „trash festival“ although for its own standards the musical attributions to the contest have been really improving what the „state of the art“ factor is concerned.
But it will never include only popular music and that is why we love Eurovision. Who wants another X-Factor or Pop Idol? Eurovision is much more of it, it’s a festival of joy, mainly, with a variety of songs.
Most of the songs are closer to modern pop culture now but as I said at the beginning: still miles away from the current music scene.
On purpose. The gap was much wider until the 90s so you can’t expect any song of the 80s contests to be up-to-(that)-date, they were even dated back then.

Rock me baby can be considered as progression actually because it was much more current than other songs or even winners before; it reflected the mood of whole south Europe including Germany since it was kind of a typical summer hit and Yugloslsvia was THE most popular vacation destination at the time for Germans so I see its appeal. It was refreshing, happy, it reminded much more of a warm night at a Yugoslavian tourist resort than a bombastic night at the Eurovision theater. It meant fun, take it easy.
I never thought of the song title as a dirty reference or anything; more like the said happy feeling of Generation „Holiday by car through Europe“. (And who knows what happens on a soft breezy night at a Yugoslavian hotel? ;))

Last edited:
Top Bottom