Contact us

Your mum's favourite

midnightsun

Veteran
It’s time for the annual thread.
Go ahead and tell us, what your people think of the Eurovision songs!

midnightsun

Veteran
Tonight I showed all released songs so far to my husband. My husband doesn’t watch Eurovision and is usually not a fan of the songs so it’s always exciting to hear his opinion and to see which songs have an influence on a casual viewer.

As I expected he wasn’t too fond of most of the songs. I will post his top 3 in ascending order, but before, some honorable mention of songs he thought sounded ok and were above the average of the songs we listened to tonight:

:no: :sm: (he really liked that) and :at:.

Now his top 3.

3) :fi: ("It’s catchy!“)

2) :au: ("Very good musically but couldn’t they come up with a more creative chorus than oh-oh oh-oh?")

Now the winner.
I have to say his #1 was quite a surprise. Not only is it mine as well (which he didn’t know) but I have never thought he would like it. But he was impressed by the staging!

1) :rs: ("Oh! Edward without the scissor hands? The synth is awesome! And that background… gorgeous!)

I will show him the missing songs after they have been released.

mauve

Veteran
My mom loves music (especially rock and metal just as myself), but she has never seen ESC as she isn't into it very much. But her top 5 were:

:fi:
:de:
:au:
:rs:
:fr:

So very similiar to your mum, @midnightsun ! :)

ayzelto

I showed some songs to both mum and father-in-law and they said :es: and :fr: are great.
On the other hand, they said :at: was funny, and both didn’t like :fi: at all

PlasticToad

I don't think my parents would tolerate me asking them to listen to Eurovision songs :ROFLMAO: But I have a few colleagues who will put up with me. And one actually discovered :fi: on his own and came up to me to ask if I knew about it! I think it'll be just as popular with casuals as it is in the bubble.

gigi_copp3

I've sent :dk: to my friend who loves k-pop, and she said "Personally I don't like it but I see it has potential to be liked by people"

jatojo

Among the Melfest entries, it seemed she preferred Paul Rey's song. In Denmark, she had 'Freedom' as her favourite (quite surprising to me).

Schlagerman1

Here you can see the scores from me and my boyfriend when we listened through the songs on Saturday evening, where we score all songs 0-10 and gave our fave song 12p (me in yellow, boyfriend in blue):
l777xes.png

So as you can see :ch: was his top fave, followed by :hr: :se: :fr: :am: and :ie:. A little surprised by the that top 6, but my boyfriend is very unpredictable in his taste so. :mrgreen: Will listen with my brother and mother during easter as always! :)

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Here you can see the scores from me and my boyfriend when we listened through the songs on Saturday evening, where we score all songs 0-10 and gave our fave song 12p (me in yellow, boyfriend in blue):
l777xes.png

So as you can see :ch: was his top fave, followed by :hr: :se: :fr: :am: and :ie:. A little surprised by the that top 6, but my boyfriend is very unpredictable in his taste so. :mrgreen: Will listen with my brother and mother during easter as always! :)

Was wondering if you'd get round to posting this at some point. :mrgreen:

Sweden 1st doesn't surprise me.

I will post the results from the listening i've subjected on some family and friends in the next couple of days.

HarryUK

Veteran
My mum's favourite is actually our own entry! I'm going to send her the Northern Ireland voting number on final night to vote for the UK :ROFLMAO:

Mainshow

Veteran
l777xes.png

What a satisfying Bottom 5!
The top scores are interesting as well! Personally, I thnink that :ch: is too high but it´s lovely to see that there are other people having different favourites than the "fandom".
Great ranking!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
With Schlagerman1 posting his, I finally pushed one of my friends to listen to complete the rank. I did the same thing as last year, and asked them to rank each song out of 10, and as to not sway them I tried to keep my opinions to myself.

wNqpWIE.png

:sl: Slovenia come out on top from our combined rank; fun fact, it was also our last place last year. None of them seemed to wildly impressed in the year and felt most were underwhelming and quite poor. My step dad in particular was very harsh on a lot songs - hes quite particular in his taste in music. My friends both liked the :uk: entry but thought last years was better, my mum wasn't too impressed by it and thought it was just ok. The entry to evoke the strongest reaction was :hr:, all of them except the last thought it was complete and total garbage. One of my friends who loves the quirkly stuff Eurovision offers (Norway last year is still an obsession for her) wasn't impressed. My friend who gave 5 did so because it was kinda fun, but she didn't get what it was even on about. Both of my friends liked :pl: song but only gave 6 because of her performance. All were kinda perplexed as to why :se: is seen as the clear front runner and obvious winner, but admitted the staging of it looked really good.

I wouldn't read too much into these scores, :at: was our winner last year. xcookie Although Armenia did do very well also, which I guess was a telltale sign of what was to come.

Looren

Veteran
Made my family listen to songs

Dad thought it was a pretty good year, his faves are :es: :se: :no: :nl: :it:

Sister quite liked it overall, she really liked :ch: :az: :es:

My mom as always liked almost everything, her top 5 is :al: :it: :md: :es: :be: and she really liked :fi: too

MAD20

I've been playing the songs to my sister and her absolute faves are :cz: :at: :pt: and :fr: (aside from :es:, she voted for Blanca Paloma in Benidorm Fest). She is also into :rs: :be: and :fi: but to a lesser extent.

Curious to hear she is not into the fan faves :se: :no: and :am: at all, saying those songs aren't special and are too mainstream. She literally said out-of-the-box and risky songs should be rewarded in Eurovision, what is a bit surprising coming from someone outside the Eurovision bubble.

Schlagerman1

"Why are everyone of the artists laying down?!"

That was the comment of the year from my family, after noticing that so many of this years artists are laying down in the official videos. That and many other interesting observations were made when I made this years listening with my mother and my little brother. You can see the scores below with my most recent score in yellow, brother in green and mom in pink.

WKybjqQ.png

Well me and my brother has always been big Loreen fans and this year mom loves her song, so it was no question on who was going to be our own winner, for the 2nd year in a row it is Sweden! :D But there are a lot of strong finalists this year, 5 of the "Big 6" are in the top ten, and even if we weren't big fans of Spain, we could see the potential and why people like it. Overall they thought it was a decent year, perhaps not as strong as 2021 or 2022, but not too bad. It was just a bit crazier than usual, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing either. xcrazy

Mainshow

Veteran
My parents and I listened to all songs yesterday (compilation) and that´s our "final results"

#1 :fr: France
#2 :se: Sweden
#3 :ee: Estonia
#4 :it: Italy
#5 :de: Germany
#6 :no: Norway
#7 :md: Moldova
#8 :al: Albania
#9 :ua: Ukraine
#10 :il: Israel
#11 :pt: Portugal
#12 :am: Armenia
#13 :at: Austria
#14 :ge: Georgia
#15 :uk: United Kingdom
#16 :fi: Finland
#17 :rs: Serbia
#18 :pl: Poland
#19 :cy: Cyprus
#20 :mt: Malta
#21 :az: Azerbaijan
#22 :au: Australia
#23 :ch: Switzerland
#24 :gr: Greece
#25 :be: Belgium
#26 :es: Spain

We all agreed on :fr: and :se: .
Usually, :de: is not that high on our list but my mother really loved them (she listens to Symphonic Meta las well) .
My parents really loved :ua: ("that´s something unique", "vibe-y", "gothic-vibes", "something we haven´t heard at Eurovision before") whilst I placed them inside my bottom 5.
They didn´t really like :fi: (don´t ask me why).

lilka

My mum loved :fr:. Before listening to :gr: she asked: "Am I supposed to like it?" :ROFLMAO: I said: "Well, this year you don't have to".
My boyfriend just looked at me as if was a stranger asking him something in a language he doesn't understand when I asked him to listen to the songs, but he liked :hr: and :fi:.

martin

First show in Norway and here is my mum and dad points. 1 is worst and 12 is best

Tsjekkia: Mamma 5, Pappa 3 og eg 3
Australia: Mamma 6, Pappa 8 og eg 8
Hellas: Mamma 5, Pappa 3 og eg 6
Kroatia: Mamma 1, Pappa 2 og eg 6
Italia: Mamma 7, Pappa 6 og eg 5
Malta: Mamma 4, Pappa 7 og eg 5
Armenia: Mamma 5, Pappa 6 og eg 5
Latvia: Mamma 3, Pappa 3 og eg 12
Frankrike: Mamma 8, Pappa 8 og eg 4

Mum and dad loves Norway entry and think that was best of the songs today. Both did not like Croatia at all and laughed a lot about it. Both think France was catchy and elegant

Top Bottom