Contact us

Your craziest Eurovision intuitions that actually happened

BernadetteCydonia

I'm dedicating this one to those who made most incredibly risky predictions back in the day and somehow got them right... as well as those who had odd dreams and visions regards Eurovision that came true somehow! In short, it's about the unexpected that mostly a few only get right based on whatever did they feel or if they just guessed it out of the blue.

I'll start with going all the way back to 2012: for some odd reason, after watching the :hu: A Dal finalists that qualified from semi 1, "Sound of Our Hearts" stuck out to me the most that I think I even dreamed it at some point or it just got stuck in my head. That was likely the day before the final I think. And so the winner happened to be... "Sound of Our Hearts". I still lol at this story occasionally.

Another one is showing off my tweedler side thanks to the age: in :sl: Misija Evrovizija (Slovenia 2012 NF) I prefered the the twins Nika and Eva Prusnik over Eva Boto... even with the blander selection of entries that they were offered to have (not that Eva's catalogue would excite me more nowadays except for "A si sanjal me" I guess), minus "Love Hurts". And, of course, when they didn't win, I was pissed. So pissed that I even wrote this in .net, and I quote: "Say "goodbye" to the final." Amidst all the praise straight after "Verjamem" was chosen. And somehow it happened... and they even placed 2nd last in the semi... sp00ky schet :lol:

Last edited:

BernadetteCydonia

May I add one more: :mk: JESC 2013. In a year where :md: was easily seen as a last placer, "Ohrid i muzika" blatantly screamed "last place" to me. Well it wasn't like it wasn't possible but oddly enough I got it right...

Now who's that person who predicted :pt: as last year's winner due to star allignation or smth? :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Yaaaas, the self back patting topic i've been waiting forxqueenbitch Behold, my finest ESC predictions:

- "Suus" would go top 5.

- I said that "Rise Like A Phoenix" would win for Austria the very moment the video for the song was revealed, and people laughed off my claims. This one felt the best as I was like "winner" and everyone else went "hahahahahaaaa", but then I got the last LOL:rolleyes:

- Was adament that Cezar's "It's My Life" would make the final and do very well.

- Macedonia will get top 10 with "To The Sky".

- Was adamant that Valentina Monetta's "Maybe" had the power to give San Marino their first final.

- Strong belief that Young Georgian Lolitaz's "Midnight Gold" would make the final.

- I declared "1944" a Eurovision winner the moment it was revealed in Ukraine's NF.

Last year I was bad with risky predictions. I had Albania down for the dark horse, and somehow didn't have the greatest faith in my all time favourite Eurovision song even reaching the final, let alone winning the contest with a record breaking total. For 2018 my risky prediction is Georgia making the final.

Himan

When we heard Lithuania with that song about his shoes, we laughed and I said definite qualifier :D I think it was almost last in the polls right then? XD

BernadetteCydonia

^ yes, Lithuania was quite ridiculed for the 2011-2013 period until we qualified :D especially Donny Montell's qualification is the biggest ever Eurovision turnaround considering on what he's gonna present later on... (granted it didn't do AS well apparently before the contest but I take it that it was generally well more received than "Love Is Blind" pre-contest).

Franzilein

I have no idea how the reactions were like on this forum when :nl: revealed their song for 2014, as I wasn't a member back then, but I loved it from the get go and was pretty sure that it would do well. So when I watched some Youtube videos, I was completely flabbergasted how low people ranked the Common Linnets in their ranking videos. Was of course super happy when they qualified and came in second in the final later on xlove

Kaz

Not too crazy, but knew from the minute it was revealed that :it: last year would flop and I never doubted that for even a second.

tuorem

I don't know whether I'd call it an intuition or a desperate wish that came true, but right before the final back in 2016, I claimed Russia (guaranteed televoters' favourite) would probably be marked down by juries while Australia (guaranteed juries' favourite) might not do as well with people, paving the way for Ukraine that might get enough equal support from both parties to win.

I'm not gonna lie, I only half believed in this happening because I didn't know which song apart from the favourites could overshadow "Sound Of Silence" (thanks Poland 2016! :mrgreen:), but I was shocked to realise things turned out that way eventually.

LastDreamer

Banned
In my opinion :at: 2014 and :ua: 2016 were the most predictable winners.

Ezio

Veteran
My best predictions so far:

Latvia winning in 2002
Netherlands being the dark horse of 2014, but I knew that Austria would win after Semi 2
Austria 2014 being sabotaged by Eastern and German juries because of homophobia
Poland 2016 being a dark horse
Estonia flopping and Portugal winning in 2017

Realest

My best predictions so far:

Austria 2014 being sabotaged by Eastern and German juries because of homophobia

Our Juryvotes were [9,11,11,13,13] which is totally Fair.

Ezio

Veteran
Our Juryvotes were [9,11,11,13,13] which is totally Fair.

Compared to Eastern Europe, maybe. These votes were BS and bizarre and totally aligned. And predictible because I knew what Sido was up to.

znajta

I expected Dancing in the rain to win the Spanish NF before i even listen the songs of the NF. And not only i was right but also i loved the song and Spain came 10th in the final. :cool:
Also in 2015 although i expected Germany to be in the TOP10 i wanted Germany to flop because i hated the song back then and Germany came last with 0 points. :lol:

Halldor

I predicted Pollapönk making the final and finishing in one of our best placements in recent years, got 15th, which is indeed the best in recent years

I predicted Ukraine winning 2016 as well as Poland making top 10

I predicted Netherlands being the dark horse in 2014

I predicted Sunstroke Project getting near the top spot in 2017

I predicted Sjonni's Friends to make the final

I predicted María Ólafs to flop on the big stage from the first moment she won Söngvakeppnin

That's what I remember

This years risky predictions are that Georgia makes the final, France flops, Albania takes Finland's spot to the final, Montenegro qualifies

Halldor

Forgot to mention that I predicted Switzerland qualifying in 2014 and making it to the left side of the scoreboard

BernadetteCydonia

My best guess at shocking opinions would be:

• 2 dark horses qualifying from SF1 half 1, pushing one fan fave out.
• The winner coming from SF2.

But I'll flop at both of them mercilessly, heh. I kinda hope not though. :D

Kevan1994

Not a prediction but just an interesting little story: I only started to learn about Eurovision in 2015 and was still just a casual fan up until last year. In February 2016, I visited Portugal with my sister, which was my first trip to Europe. A year later my sister messaged me with a photo of our trip. That led to me googling something about Portugal and randomly finding a link for the Festival da Canção first semifinal. I was pretty curious so I opened it up. The show was almost over but I decided to watch the two performances that were still left to go. First up was a guy named Salvador and after seeing his performance I was completely mesmerized. I immediately felt connected to the song and got really invested, hoping he would win. Before this, I had only seen the 2015 and 2016 Grand Finals so I found it kind of amazing that the first time I watched part of a national selection, I fell in love with a song that ended up winning the entire Eurovision contest for a country that had never won before.

(Not to mention, Portugal also won the UEFA Euro Championship for the first time after I visited so I may or may not be a good luck charm).

Realest

I predicted Benjamins Top5 with the Juries before Benjamin won MF.
I predicted Belgiums NQ Weeks before the Rehearsals.

Top Bottom