Contact us

WV Spin-Off 161: No Pop or Bop

Fierro

xmANJhW.jpg

OzlljbB.png

SEND AN ENTRY THAT DOES NOT FALL IN CATEGORY OF 'POP' OR 'BOP'.
SUCH GENRES AS ROCK, FOLK, JAZZ, COUNTRY ETC WHICH DO NOT RELY ON 'BOPPY' ELEMENTS ARE ENCOURAGED.

SUBMIT YOUR SONGS TO @Fierro till 5th July 23:59 CEST

CONFIRMED:

:es: :us: :cy: :pe: :se: :uk: :en: :gr: ::texs :au:
:susa: :de: 🇬🇳 :at: :lt: :ar: :dk: 🇰🇪 :is:

Last edited:

hijirio

Veteran
stopped reading after "WV is full of pop"

i thought WV spin offs couldn't go any lower but here we are

original-25625-1506699510-3.png

giphy.gif

Zeus

"No Pop Or Bop"

"This one is all about diversity"

🤔
So if white people are overpresented in a organisation, people talk about diversity as in: not-whites (so people of colour). Do you think that's weird as well? Don't think so.

People even saying that it's 'discriminatory', lol, it's the other way around ironically. There are always themes in spin-offs, one might suit you better than the other. No reason to become this bitter. Woah, no pop, so what. There are like 50 other music genres in the world, open up a bit or just wait for a next one to send your pop music again.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I don’t like the way this spin-off has been worded. Could have simply gone for an alternative music theme but instead this feels like very much as though it’s looking down its nose at people who enjoy a certain type of song, and that’s not cool or what this contest is about. WorldVision also is just as full of all kinds of other genres as it is bops and pops, and if we go back to 2021 pretty much anything pop (excluding a retro Italian entry) struggled to win. Everything is welcome at WorldVision and the contest is at its best when every type of song is able to enjoy appreciation.

theditz83

Veteran
Just to say @Zeus , I think you may have missed the sarcasm in my post. No worries, you'll get used to my sarcasm the more you see my posts.

I have no issue with the theme, go for it and enjoy I say - but I guess we have slightly different understandings of the term "diversity" (to me, it represents all-encompassing inclusion and no exclusion, but I see why you interpret slightly differently).

Zeus

I don’t like the way this spin-off has been worded. Could have simply gone for an alternative music theme but instead this feels like very much as though it’s looking down its nose at people who enjoy a certain type of song, and that’s not cool or what this contest is about. WorldVision also is just as full of all kinds of other genres as it is bops and pops, and if we go back to 2021 pretty much anything pop (excluding a retro Italian entry) struggled to win. Everything is welcome at WorldVision and the contest is at its best when every type of song is able to enjoy appreciation.
Well, I certainly don't like the hypersensitive and close to hateful reactions this quite innocent theme gets as well.

Look, you have a dominant factor (in this case, one could make a strong plea that pop is the dominant music genre in WV, and that's not just about who wins but by simply counting the songs from each music genre) and you have everything that is not-dominant (in this case, all different music genres than pop). This only is about exploring all these different genres for once. You could replace it when speaking about who is in charge in certain organisations. White people being the dominant factor, 'diversity' being having an openness attitude towards people from different colours as well. The same example you could use with men being dominant, diversity being looking at different genders as well. The fact that someone literally called this a 'discriminatory concept' (and I also see quite some people liking it) isn't only plainly wrong (it's literally comparable to targeting diversity, positive discrimination if you wish, very much 'woke' and left-side), but also quite offensive and rude towards me.

You also say that 'every type of song' should be able to enjoy appreciation - which I agree too very much, altough I didn't really see that looking at the current edition of WV, but that's another thing - while we are in the spin-off board. The thing with having a theme is that there are restrictions according to what you can send in. If the theme for example was 'summer songs', you're not supposed to send a christmas song with a music video full of landscapes with snow in it. Or for example the last one, in which you shouldn't send songs longer than 2:40. The funny thing, actually, is that this theme is one of the most inclusive ones possible, because 'every other genre than pop' consists of like billions of permissible songs.

The reaction a not-pop because already dominant spin-off gets says already a lot to me actually. But okay, do what your instincts tell you to do, it's just a shame to see some of these quite offensive and heavy assumptions without any sense of ratio.

I'm not the smallest child in here. If all these people are so dejected by a theme that hurts their own music taste and feel like that's a reason to make this all a big drama and become unreasonable, just go back to the voting process and choose something that you all like and in which no one should get out of their comfort zones in search for some diversity for once.

ferret

@Zeus, did you stop people from sending Britney Spears? :eek: This is a disgrace, of course. Resolve it and all problems will immediately disappear.

Fierro

None of you had anything against this theme when the voting was going on.

HALF of voters in poll supported this theme with the description it had.

The issue is closed, I keep the original wording no matter what Zeus meant with it.

theditz83

Veteran
I'm not sure why the sassiness has suddenly taken over this thread. Humour and sarcasm is no longer recognised in WV spin-off threads it seems.

I will clarify once more, I have no issue with the theme, enjoy. My original post was tongue-in-cheek, nothing more.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@Zeus you've been playing the game for precisely one edition though, and seemingly are basing this dominance of pop music case you've got from just this first impression of it, no? It's a contest that fluctuates and goes in many directions. Give it some more time and hopefully that's what you'd see. Pop has always been in the contest (we're on a Eurovision forum after all), sure, but then so has folk, rock, indie, alternative etc, and that kind of stuff (song dependent, as the same for pop) is able to fight right at the top. In some finals you'd even find that pop ends up actually in the minority. Generally though and most importantly, things are more mixed than what you've seen this first edition you've joined us on.

And as I said, simply doing this titled as an alternative music spin-off theme or something along those lines would have been great and the same goal could have been achieved. I think the theme is fine, good even but with this name it was always going to not sit well with a section of our player base (almost gives off Salvador Sobral winning speech vibes). I think it would have been better if the title was celebrating the music you want us to hear. Just my opinion anyway.

Anyway, you all have fun and good luck Vlad with hosting! Probably the wrong place and timing for me to write all of this so I apologise for that.

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
I pointed out the weird description of the theme during voting tho...and few people agreed so this isn't a post poll issue 🙄

Anyway, I'll also be boycotting skipping this edition but yall have fun

Zeus

'Alternative' is in combination with some other labels a genre itself. I could have called it: Blues/soul/r&b/hiphop/reggae/urban/gospel/country/indie/shoegaze/jazz/rock/metal etc spin-off as well, but yeah, that would been a very long name, right? This title (which was just 5 seconds of thinking) is at least very clear.

I also really don't get why people would feel offended by a theme title. If 'Summer Songs' would have won, would you all say "NOOO SO RACIST TO WINTER"? I don't think so, well, at least I hope not.

I never meant anything with it, just that it would be nice to see some wider variety of genres and to get some people out of their comfort zone for once. Apparently 9 other people liked the theme as well. If there would be a "only bop"-spin off or something, I would probably participate as well and look for something that fits the theme that I also kinda like. Nothing wrong with it, no reasons to be dramatic and unreasonable.

You can feel that a theme doesn't suit you, but some people are really framing this the wrong way. That's just childish, come on.

Top Bottom