Contact us

Would like to learn a new language...

Kicker

Hello Guys :D
I'd like to learn a 5th language... but I just don't know which language I'd like to learn. At the moment, I speak German (Surprise!), Englisch (Surprise too!), French and Spanish. But these languages are all very easy to learn... so I would be also ready for learning something more difficult... But it also don't have to be that complicated like german :lol:

Okay, what do you say?

seb89

Hebrew, Hindi, Arabic or a slavic one, but they are all more complicated than German :s.

Go for Dutch lol :p!

Last edited:

Grinch

^^ It's Kicker's personal thread :D

Yamarus

Russian.

Kicker

Dutch... I guess that would be very easy to learn for me because it's very similar to German... but I don't really know if I really would like to speak dutch :lol:
Welsh... No :lol:
I guess Russian should be very, very difficult... and I don't like how the language sounds... it sounds as they would shout the whole time :lol:

I already thought about learning Turkish or Hungarian... But especially hungarian is very, very, very, very difficult to learn for german native speakers because its very different... But I'm not sure whats the "difficult thing" about it is. Is it just the grammar rules or is it just very irregular? Does anybody know this?
Turkish... I thought about this too (that would be funny if I could understand the turks here in germany :D), but then I saw that they got 6 (Okay, I don't really know the englisch word for it and I don't find it in the internet, so I'll call it how it could be:) falls (?). (I mean something like Akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv...). And that's a bit... hard. We also learned the german Dativ, Genitiv, Akkusativ and Nominativ - but it was very difficult for us too and I'm not sure if I would get that...

seb89

Dutch will be easy and difficult at the same time. The similarities will make easier to learn it, but at the same time will make it difficult, because of "false friends", different genera, etc. The problem I had with German wasn't really the akkusativ, dativ, genetiv; tenses, etc. I had more difficulties with vocabulary, preposition,...

Nominative, ablative, ... are called cases (grammatical cases). Those cases are really different than the German ones, in German you only change the article and you put sometimes a -s or -n behind a word. In most other languages with cases, the whole semantic structure of the word changes. And Hungarian has about 16? Like Finnish or even more.

The difficult thing about Hungarian, Turkish & all non-Indo European languages is that there are no semantic similarities and grammar structure is totally different (a lot more cases, different moods, time aspects are different, etc.).
Example: we say: my book, mein buch, mon livre, mijn boek,... [possesive adjectif+noun] if you want to express this with the meaning in Hebrew, you say: the book of me.

I don't think 'cases' should influence your choice. At first, they can be hard to learn, but at the end, it easier to analyse/translate a text with cases than without (that's my opinion). You should go for a language AND culture, you really like. If you don't like the sound of it, don't choose it. Every language is difficult to learn, and it's different to each one of us.

I'm gonna study a new language too next year. I'm probably going for Hebrew (or maybe Hindi :p)! Anyways good luck!

Last edited:

Mackan

Greenlandic. It's extremely hard though.

Why not learn spanish, arabic or chinese? It would benefit you when applying for job.

Yamarus

Turkish... I thought about this too (that would be funny if I could understand the turks here in germany :D), but then I saw that they got 6 (Okay, I don't really know the englisch word for it and I don't find it in the internet, so I'll call it how it could be:) falls (?). (I mean something like Akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv...). And that's a bit... hard. We also learned the german Dativ, Genitiv, Akkusativ and Nominativ - but it was very difficult for us too and I'm not sure if I would get that...

I've started Turkish classes in September, and honestly I can tell you it's a very logical language and the main difficulty resides in the fact that it's very different from Indo-European tongues (it is agglutinative). The main difficulty, for me, is vocabulary because it's completely different except for the numerous French loanwords. The cases (the word you were looking for ;)) are not that hard to understand, because, again, they're used in a very logical manner. I *love* Turkish, it's a great language because it's at the same time very different and still relatively easy to learn (because of the Latin Alphabet). I may be wrong, but I think you can learn Turkish much faster than Arabic, Japanese or even Russian.

SpZ

I'd suggest something East Asian (Japanese, Korean or Chinese) or 1 of Indian languages or Arabic. Because they are cool. And East Asian languages are not as hard as they are thought to be. I am myself studying Japanese and it is not too bad (slightly difficult grammatically). Chinese should be easier grammatially, but has harder pronounciation while Korean should be easiest of them. As they pretty much dropped using hanja/kanji/hanzi (the Chinese signs).

Kicker

Okay, I've started learning turkish now... It's... interessting but it starts a bit hard (e-i-ö-ü -> use e and something like that :lol:) But I guess it will work :)
Thank you all!

Top Bottom