Contact us

Worldvision is coming ?

GRE

Sietse Bakker, Eurovision’s event supervisor, insisted any growth beyond Europe’s borders would be an ‘organic development’.

He said: “The song contest has always organically grown, sometimes a little faster than Europe, sometimes a little slower. But I think it’s really whether the broadcasters in the countries outside of Europe are interested in this song contest – only then can the song contest grow beyond the borders it has now. Now we have the one-time participation of Australia and we see increasing interest from Canada and China and if that interest grows who knows in a couple of years we would have a world song contest. But I don’t think we can enforce that but if it should happen it will be an organic development.”

hawadharma

Olympics of the Music Industry !! It is not impossible ;)

Brandt

I read an article years ago that it was offered to Eurovision to become a Worldvision. However, it was rejected. Why not then, but now?

If people want a Worldvision, let them create a brand new Worldvision. But don't mess with Eurovision, please.

MyHeartIsYours

I would definitely like a Worldvision Song Contest, but as has been said above, it should be a separate competition. Eurovision should remain a competition for European culture.

Before Worldvision however, I would like for us to have a Commonwealth Song Contest here in the Commonwealth. That could also serve as an experiment for a worldwide song contest - we'd be able to test out whether or not it is possible to host such a competition across time zones, across different cultures, etc, but with a more manageable amount of participants than a worldwide version.
There would be 53 participants. We could have a 28-nation final, made up of the winner/host, 6 pre-qualified nations due to their massive cultural influence (Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, India, Australia and New Zealand), 1 wildcard pre-qualifier, and 10 qualifiers from SF1 and 10 from SF2.

I think it'd be a really exciting contest, would be great to see acts from the likes of India, Pakistan, Barbados, Kenya, Malaysia etc :D And obviously the United Kingdom, Australia, Malta and Cyprus will be there :p So basically a music version of the Commonwealth Games!

Stiven

I don't know uf anybody else posted this interview with Jon Ola Sand(Norwegian but Google Translate does a surprisingly good job here):

http://www.nrk.no/mgp/esc-sjefen_-ikke-aktuelt-med-_worldvision_-1.12378066

Anyway according to the interview Jon Ola Sand is not really into turning Eurovision into Worldvision and that his main concern is having more countries in the EBU area join or return:
Sand says there are still many potential participant countries in the EBU area they want to catch before it may be necessary to expand the framework for competition
What do you guys think of Jon Ola Sand stance on expanding the contest?
Personally I agree with him especially on this note:
ESC can not be much larger than we are today, because it will be virtually impossible for a host broadcaster to undertake the event, both practical and economical.

DanielLuis

I don't know uf anybody else posted this interview with Jon Ola Sand(Norwegian but Google Translate does a surprisingly good job here):

http://www.nrk.no/mgp/esc-sjefen_-ikke-aktuelt-med-_worldvision_-1.12378066

Anyway according to the interview Jon Ola Sand is not really into turning Eurovision into Worldvision and that his main concern is having more countries in the EBU area join or return:

What do you guys think of Jon Ola Sand stance on expanding the contest?
Personally I agree with him especially on this note:

I really agree with that last quote. And unfortunately many eurofans don't seem to understand this. The costs are becoming too high.

Verjamem

I won't be really surprised, if one day Eurovision will be replaced by Worldvision. We are European - we become more and more open-minded, so it's not a big deal for us to make a contest with all countries around the World.

Anyway, I agree that present situation is decent. Quantity doesn't mean quality. It's better to have 37-42 participating countries in a single year than 50+ entries and problems to host it. It would be nice to have each European state in competition, but we won't force anyone. We have big fun without inactive broadcasters.

Top Bottom