Contact us

Winter Sports - Alpine Skiing, Cross-Country, Biathlon and more

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Omg this thread is the best thing ever. Didn't know it existed xheart
It was exactly my reaction when I discovered it last season :lol:
My friends must be thankful that I now have a place to debate about Winter sports in peace without putting them through it

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Okay there is a lot I could about this week end :lol:

As a french supporter I'm obviously happy by the good results we got in biathlon (we won't talk about the men's relay) and moguls (Laffont just won her third race in a row, again)... but today's Downhill, come on.
It was really exciting to watch, with skiers taking the lead one after another. To be honest, this time I could see the win with a high bib coming, more than one showed they could be on par with the leader in some parts of the race, so why not on the whole track ? And Martin Cater isn't a no-name either, he has a good number of Top 10 under his belt.

ShoeFlo

Due to a Corona case of Klemens Muranka, the whole Polish ski-jumping team is disqualified from the first Four-Hills-tournament event in Oberstdorf... this is a severe blow for the Polish team and for the whole competition in general, because theyve got one of the best teams including the defending champion Kubacki who I'd have considered one of the favorites for this tournament. It is really a pity for the ski jumping sports. Then again it increases the chances for the other nations, especially for the Norwegian Granerud and our biggest hope Markus Eisenbichler.

JamieBrown

The covid 19 concept of the FIS is not quite thoughtful I guess. Comparising with IBU it is not understandable why they need to change the location every other week and being taken out due to quarantine conditions means you miss at least two competitions to fight for World Cup points, IBU's system works quite better, especially this year

In case of the 4HT there would've been no chances to reduce the major travelling and being able to miss a competition but still fight for victory, but what happened to the polish team was another example of what went wrong in the planning imo. And it's not even the first time in these 4/5 weeks that a whole team had to be quarantined.

About the competition: Today was kinda lottery, but with only 5 jumpers left not to qualify at least the huge majority just got lucky with these conditions and I think most duels tomorrow would be possible under fair weather. Curious to see if Karl Geiger is able to compete on his level before the positive test, there is a chance at least, even if the other covid cases are struggling, but maybe they weren't on their peak anyway.

JamieBrown

Oh nvmd...all athletes may start, duels are cancelled, 62 jumpers will fight for the first victory...quite messy, but a good outcome. Personally I always liked the duels as the special competition format of 4HT, but now it's better as it is now

JamieBrown

What an end of the 1st round, Johannsson lost the whole tournament, as well as Zyla and Eisei kinda :eek:

EDIT:
Such a big joy to see Karl Geiger winning. He was my favourite to win 4HT before, alongside Eisenbichler, Johannsson and Zyla. I ruled Granerud out, as it's most times not the world cup leader winning 4HT. Now he's the first one with smaller chances. To see Kamil Stoch on 2nd place shows why we needed the polish athletes in the competition and Marius Lindvik once again is about to surprise everyone around the new year.

If everything goes usual the winner is among today's Top 3, given the point differences behind. Granerud still has chances of course, but Eisenbichler is too far behind imo to catch up with both Geiger and Stoch. My bet is on a fight between Geiger and Stoch. Lindvik and Granerud are a serious threat.

Last edited:

AlekS

Veteran
Last edited:

Zonne147

Cross-country.

It's only January and we already have this disgraceful accident:

TAVa1Al.gif

Sis, it's not hockey :rolleyes: Learn how to behave in society.

That's Aleksander Bolshunov, sadly.

When things don't go the way he wants, his behaviours always suck. We have seen that several times with Klaebo.

FIS did the right thing in my opinion, Maeki did nothing wrong xup

JamieBrown

I used to do biathlon myself

@Zonne147 meet our new best forum friend xheat

Welcome to this sub-forum Samuel, as you see we're not quite active, but I'm always up for some topic exchange. Biathlon is among my faves as well, as you might know now^^ And I used to shoot prone once in Ruhpolding, when I was 12, and got one hit at least XD

Zonne147

@Zonne147 meet our new best forum friend xheat

Welcome to this sub-forum Samuel, as you see we're not quite active, but I'm always up for some topic exchange. Biathlon is among my faves as well, as you might know now^^ And I used to shoot prone once in Ruhpolding, when I was 12, and got one hit at least XD

This mention didn't work I think :(

Even though I'm one month late, welcome to the sub-forum @Samuel Richards!! Biathlon is my favorite wintersport!!

Hopefully we'll manage to be more active here next season, but since the current one isn't over and Alpine Skiing is one of the most discussed sports here:

Pinturault or Odermatt??

@Morocco2021 @Edweis @Preuss

Preuss

I really like Pinturault, and I thought he would win the overall for sure when Kilde got injured, but now Odermatt's turned out to be a much bigger threat than I initially thought...

Pinturault's not been at his best in the 2nd runs lately since the miserable GS where he fell from a certain gold medal. He'll need to deliver in the remaining slaloms as Odermatt's better in the downhill and slightly better in the SG, though it's pretty even in that discipline.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
@Zonne147

Pretty tricky. Pintu has one more chance to get points with the SL today while Odermatt only has the finals left, but he's less steady in his results there than Marco is in DH. I would really like for him to finally get this globe, not only because he's French but because he's the most versatile skier out there (even if Odermatt pretty much proved he was on par), it would only be fitting.

JamieBrown

Not into alpine skiing as much as into ski jumping and biathlon, but here are some news:

The DH final in Lenzerheide seems on the verge of being cancelled, TV reporter said that's a disadvantage for Odermatt then...

Preuss

Pinturault out! The pressure and nerves have gotten the best of him lately, it feels like

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
So it's done. It's really unfortunate the last speed events got canceled, it would have made the fight even more amazing. For that reason, I'm even more glad Pinturault won yesterday's GS and ended up 3rd today, it showed it wasn't a half-assed outcome. Odermatt was a tough opponent we didn't expect but welcomed with open arms, we'll definitely have to count on him in the future.
I'm so happy Pintu got to win this globe after all the years put into hard work. It didn't come out of nowhere, he's been lurking on the overall podium since 2014, it's so satisfying to finally see him get rewarded for it. So congrats champ, you deserved it.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Pinturault deserved to win the overall, especially after what happened last season, with the season cut short. Plus, he's half Norwegian. :D Odermatt will get more chances, he's still young, and I'm sure he'll win the overall soon. Maybe already next season. :)

kopachka

Honestly I was deeply disappointed with the way how FIS failed to offer an equal opportunity for getting points and earning the awards among DH and SG skiers. It's sad how Lara G.-B. and Marco O. missed the chance to properly fight back and "deserve" the second place in the overalls. I support what Lara did in the last race btw. xup I do understand that organizing DH and SG races is more difficult and it requires a lot of time to do the trainings, but I believe that FIS could think of a solution since they already proved to be capable of adapting the whole season to a variety of changes.

Anyway, I am happy for Alexis P. and Petra V. for finally getting their hands on the overall trophy! xlove They both deserved it after all the good seasons they had. I am very happy with the success of Filip Zubčić of course - we really needed someone to bring a good result or two to Croatia, as all of the skiers are living in the shadow of Janica's and Ivica's successes. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next season will bring!

Top Bottom