Contact us

Who will get the "grey vote" ?

Fluke

The grey vote, the older part of the viewers, are seldom aimed for deliberately by artists and song selectors, most seem to insist on aiming for the young voters year after year. But they are a strong and often overlooked factor in the results, indeed, last year's winner clearly had their support - not to say that Salvador wasn't the favorite of many young viewers as well, and could have won by them alone - but it's no doubt he was pretty much the sole recipient of "the grey vote" last year. But this year, all the strong favorites this year are young and youth-aimed, so who will benefit from the "grey factor" this year?

Spain with its sugary sweet, timeless and inoffensively nostalgic love duet is a sure bet. Exactly how well it will do is unsure, but even if they don't, it seems like something a lot of less voting-happy elderlies will go away thinking was "the best of the night".

Estonia with its sober performance and calm, classic character also has potential here. Though the opera style would be seen by many as a novelty and just plain weird, it may still get a sizable part of the grey votes.

Belarus should not be counted out here, as the song has a sort of old school, nostalgic Slavic character - even the change in arrangement towards a softer, less synthy sound may have been deliberately to pander to an older audience, after they realized the song had a real chance with them.

The Netherlands are a sure fire here, with country having a massive elderly following in North and West Europe, something many even here might not be all that aware of - hell, my long-dead grandparents' record collection (they would be over 90 now) was almost all 80s country compilation albums - and this might really tickle their voting bones, if they just have a little outlaw left in'em....

Even Hungary should not be counted out - the oldest metal fans are nearing 70 now, and even if they're a bit put off by the language and the screaming, they might vote to be rebellious, if they find Netherlands to be too tame and fake-American for them....

Montenegro will surely get a lot of votes from elderlies in neighboring countries, who remember "when music sounded like that", but like all previous similar songs, it's unlikely to be popular elsewhere, but at least it's something.

Even Georgia might have some chance at it, with their traditional vocal harmony style, but the language may be alienating to non-Georgians, and it's also in the same semi as Montenegro, who i think will do better - just really, really hoping they can still make the final, as they are among my favorites this year!

Armenia has a kind of classic Eastern pop character which will be deeply familiar to anyone with roots in water-pipe-smoking countries, and with their diaspora all over Europe, this is sure to click with them.

Italy is among the older artists performing this year (are there any others, correct me?) and while the song is old--school in character, it's also unmemorable and just too plain weird, so i think they may get one of their weakest results.

Lithuania aims explicitly for them with their subject, of course, but i think it might just backfire, and the song is dull and uninspired in every possible way, it's unlikely that they even make the final anyway.

Could sort of include Iceland and Albania too, but most seem to agree they're weak entries and will disappear among the others mentioned here. So what do you think, which one of them will get the grey votes?

94ayd

Hopefully :fr: & :pt:. ;)

Alaska49

definitely estonia, spain and maybe georgia

nobody that can ride the grey vote to absolute triumph like Our Dear Crystal michal szpak though

mauve

Veteran
Interesting question. I think some were already mentioned. Estonia, France, Armenia, Montenegro, Georgia, Spain, Italy and let's not forget Lithuania (lyrically)!

MyHeartIsYours

I think my Nanna would have liked :is: :ch: :cy: :pl: :ua: :es: :uk:

I think the assumption that older people are more drawn to opera (like Estonia) is kinda based on stereotype. Older people today grew up during the jazz/big band 1940's, rock n' roll 50's and Swinging Sixties, I don't think they are more drawn to opera and classical music than anybody else tbh...

midnightsun

Veteran
As far as my parents (70 years old) are concerned they have always liked the „normal“ songs, the unexciting. I guess Austria, France, Italy, UK, Switzerland and the Netherlands are obvious contenders. Greece and Montenegro will have an impact on the Balkan countries.

Kevan1994

:is: :ge: :me: :uk: :no: :nl: :dk: :lt: :ch: :at: :fr: :it: :pt:

:cz: could be a surprise success as well with the brass sound.

(Basically any country with red in their flag lol)

DaFlo

Banned
Not sure about the grey vote but the horny houswives 50 shades of grey vote will go to Latvia.

dannytr24

The Netherlands, Lithuania, Iceland, United Kingdom.
So granny's vote for The Netherlands :lol:

Nicfedy

I think it will probably go to Germany maybe even Uk. Assuming there is such a thing as a block grey vote. The children's vote might go to Finland.

Fierro

Don't see the older people voting for Israel whatsoever

My granny dislikes Israel. She said "I guess it should be popular among young people". Also she didn't like Estonia, because the song quickly gets boring for her, not because of opera itself though, maybe because of it being too static.

Her favorites are :no: :it: (she cried, but i think it's because of video) :ua: :fi:. Also she moderately liked :se: :bg: :be:.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Norway without even a second thought.

Top Bottom