Contact us

Which Swedish city to host ESC 2013?

Gizur

It's not yet decided which city will host the ESC 2013. I think it will be Göteborg (Gothenburg), it's their "turn".

Swedish hosting cities for ESC:
1975: Stockholm
1985: Göteborg
1992: Malmö
2000: Stockholm
2013: ..if the scheme continues, It should be Göteborg.

Eva Hamilton, head of Swedish Televison, have said that nothing is decided yet. The decision will be made tomorrow, Monday.

My bet is: Welcome to Göteborg!

Arv

I'd say welcome to Stockholm and Friends Arena (Globe Arena isn't available (Icehockey)). 50 000-65 000 spectators live would be awesome!!!!
But if not, it'll surely be Göteborg.

pokerpupps

Please let it be Stockholm! Nothing against Göteborg, but with the new arena, and the fact that Stockholm is the capital of Sweden, they should choose Stockholm!

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Didn't they say few weeks ago that ESC will be in Stochkolm and Friends Arena if they'll win? :confused:

Gizur

I'd say welcome to Stockholm and Friends Arena (Globe Arena isn't available (Icehockey)). 50 000-65 000 spectators live would be awesome!!!!
But if not, it'll surely be Göteborg.
Yes, that is a possibility. Friends Arena will also host the final of Melodifestivalen (March 9th 2013).

There are some reports today claiming that if Friends Arena should be the venue, it need to be closed for weeks in advance and that AIK Football team already have booked the arena for the period. But maybe that can be solved.

Andalublue

Why does it have to be one of the three? Why couldn't a smaller city, like Uppsala or Västeras host it? I'd like to see a smaller-scale, more environmentally-friendly event At a time when all of Europe is suffering economically, why can't the EBU be a little more in tune with the times. The ESC is too big, too bloated and, frankly, a bit obscene, much like the Olympics. Let's get back to something on a more human scale and let the music take centre-stage again, not all the razzamattaz, projection screens and pyrotechnics.

FallenAngelII

Why does it have to be one of the three? Why couldn't a smaller city, like Uppsala or Västeras host it? I'd like to see a smaller-scale, more environmentally-friendly event At a time when all of Europe is suffering economically, why can't the EBU be a little more in tune with the times. The ESC is too big, too bloated and, frankly, a bit obscene, much like the Olympics. Let's get back to something on a more human scale and let the music take centre-stage again, not all the razzamattaz, projection screens and pyrotechnics.
Because:
1) It'd cost more for foreigners to go to (Uppsala doesn't have an airport).
2) It'd be more troublesome for foreigners, and even Swedes to go to (almost all cities in Sweden has a non-stop train route to Stockholm. Very few do to Uppsala or smaller cities.
3) They wouldn't be able to seat that many people due to the small size of their venues.
4) The cities would be ill-equipped to handle tens of thousands of foreign visitors.

Gizur

The head of Swedish Television, Eva Hamilton, have said in interviews today that it is between Stockholm, Göteborg and Malmö. "All three cities are able to accommodate such an event", she said. But I kind of like your idea. Västerås is not a bad choice, and they have venue that can take almost 3000 spectators which would make the event cozier. Moreover, it's the hometown of Loreen :)

Then, there's the economy to think of... More tickets sold means more money. These shows arent cheap.

CPV4931

I hope for a larger venue because I maybe wanna go to Sweden for ESC 2013 and the chance to get tickets there would be much bigger - The new arena in Solna would be perfect.

FallenAngelII

Västerås is not a good place to host Eurovision. It has only two Burger Kings, out of which one of tthem is in the middle of nowhere. Very few gas stations. Their "city centre" is a joke and everything closes by 4 P.M. om weekends. There wouldn't be even close to enough hotells to accomodate all of the guests and visitors and nowhere near enough restaurants. Stop asking for smaller cities to host the contest.

"Smaller cities" in Sweden equal "Cities of 100.000 inhabitants or less". None of them even have an arena big enough to host this contest.

Kryptonite

Eurovision has to be in a big arena (and therefore big city). 20,000 spectators (for instance) create a totally different atmosphere than 5,000 people. :p

Mozz

Speaking of smaller cities, I think a wonderful venue would be the new "Facebook Center" in the beautiful city of Lulea; it has enough room to host more than 60000 visitors:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...ures-of-the-day-27-October-2011.html?image=18

ap_fb_server_dm_111027_wg.jpg

Gizur

Friends Arena in Stockholm ! :D :D

65.000 people in the audience :eek:

That's the maximum audience for concerts, but with such a big production like ESC the stage, camera sections and a large "green room" will take up some space.

Friends Arena is adjustable, and could take from 15000 up to 67500 people. I'd guess it's likely that they would have something like 30 000 - 40 000 for ESC, if they would have it there. If they choose Göteborg, the venue would probably be Scandinavium (about 10 000 seats). In Malmö, it would be Malmö Arena (also about 10 000 seats).

Mickey

Even if the Friends Arena is free, would Stockholm be able to comfortably handle tens of thousands of ESC fans, plus tens of thousands of Ice Hockey fans? I know it's a big place, but that's a lot of people.

FallenAngelII

Luleå is also small. It is Sweden's 22nd biggest city. As of the 2010 census it only had 46 607 inhabitants. The entire city is only 29 square kilometers large. Comparatively, the greater Stockholm metropolitan area is 6526 square kilometers large (the city centre is 381,63 square kilometers large). It is a tiny city.

Stop asking for Sweden to host the contest in tiny cities just because you think smaller cities are quaint. In Swedish terms, a smaller city has less than 10.000 inhabitants, often around the 7000 mark. They're not going to even close to big enough to accomodate 10.000s of guests. Not enough hotells, not enough resturants, not enough entertainment areas. Do you want next year's Eurovision enthusiasts and artists to be bored out of their minds?

It's Stockholm, Göteborg or Malmö and it'll probably be Stockholm. Stockholm's our only city that comes close to being a big city by international standards.

Top Bottom