Contact us

Where will it be hosted?

Loindici

Veteran
Just noticed the Eurovision official website has changed their layout to something very, very BBC

shameless

Just noticed the Eurovision official website has changed their layout to something very, very BBC

May I ask what do you mean? I see the upper menu bar is now a bit too slim so maybe they already start to adjust that?

musicfan

Comig from the news that UK is officially hosting, I still wonder how the non-Eurofan UK people feels/reacts to it (considering the usually negative outlook on the contest).

Plus, I have a feeling it'll either be London, Glasgow or Cardiff. Don't think BBC will waste an opportunity to go all out. I'll add Birmingham since they have good indoor arenas too.

Non-Eurovision fans in every country are likely to be negative, that's why they aren't fans.

Loindici

Veteran
May I ask what do you mean? I see the upper menu bar is now a bit too slim so maybe they already start to adjust that?

The new Eurovision web design is reminiscent of BBC's own layouts. Not exactly copying it, but the way it interacts with users reminds me of them.

Compare the Eurovision website...

...to either the BBC Eurovision page...

...or the main BBC page.

ESC_12 points

It was very predictable right after the Final that it will be hosted in the UK. I wrote about it here right after the Final. Hopefully, it will be in London. Yet, I will attend it in any part of the UK 😁

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
That's a shame, Cardiff was one of my personal favourites to host. Although, it would have been a very expensive hosting given the size of the stadium.

Mainshow

Veteran
I am actually quite surprised that Cardiff won´t bid to host the event. If I recall it correctly, Cardiff had been rumored to host Eurovision if Bonnie T. had won back in 2013. - But apparently, the arena is already fully booked for next year...

EscUKFan

The shortlisted cities will be announced on Radio 2 on Friday morning.

EliGrant6

I can't wait for Friday! getting one step closer to knowing who will host Eurovision '23.
My predicted shortlist is Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Leeds, London and Manchester
I ultimately feel that this is going to be a race between Glasgow and Manchester

AlekS

Veteran
Liverpool is in:

Nottingham is out:

Martin Ingham, chief executive of the Motorpoint Arena, said:
“Hosting Eurovision would have been another fantastic feather in the city’s cap, but unfortunately we cannot meet the event criteria as the Arena already has a number of major contracted events, including the IIHF Men’s World [ice hockey] Championships 1A.

HarryUK

British media is really getting behind us hosting next year. The evening news tonight berated some cities (didn't name them lol) for putting bids forward without proper infrastructure in their cities, let alone a suitable venue. Most people think it's going to be a Glasgow v Birmingham v London stand off come Friday.

Chrisiam

Honestly it has been kind of hilarious to see the fact that the host cities and venues seem alarmed by the fact that the hosting venue needs to be cleared for use for about eight weeks. Like, it is almost like they just thought they just needed to do the live shows, or maybe Eurovision week at most and now suddenly they are trying to figure out if they can afford to cancel some big gigs.

HarryUK

Honestly it has been kind of hilarious to see the fact that the host cities and venues seem alarmed by the fact that the hosting venue needs to be cleared for use for about eight weeks. Like, it is almost like they just thought they just needed to do the live shows, or maybe Eurovision week at most and now suddenly they are trying to figure out if they can afford to cancel some big gigs.
Not to mention a press centre and delegation areas. Host city also needs a Eurovision village, venue for the opening ceremony and affordable hotel rooms close to the venue. It’s just British ignorance at its finest really in these cities lol

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Literally. 🤣 most big events take weeks of rehearsals and preparations. They seem to think Eurovision pops up and put together as it is in a week. It's probably part of the reason the BBC put in some further requirements to weed out all the pointless bids.

I also really don't want it to be Birmingham. Not only have they just had the Commonwealth Games, they hosted last time. We enough places eligible to host that don't require us going back there, or to London for that matter.

HarryUK

I’ve got Radio 2 on in anticipation! Announcement due from Scott Mills at 8:35 BST

HarryUK

Shortlist of 20 down to 7:

Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield

I don’t ever want to hear northerners moaning about southern privilege ever again lol

MopManMoss

Veteran
Shortlist of 20 down to 7:

Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield

I don’t ever want to hear northerners moaning about southern privilege ever again lol
You say this like there is anywhere adequate to host Eurovision in the south outside of London (maybe Bristol that’s about it) also southern privilege is absolutely a thing I can say that having lived in both northern and southern England, regional inequality in this country is the worst in Europe so I really wouldn’t get upset at there being 5 northern cities on this list of 7

Top Bottom