Contact us

Where will it be hosted?

shameless

And also to those who "ridicule" those in here for supporting Ukraine's ("Ukraine lovers", "bad attitude") reaction to EBU's statement, we are not saying that we don't understand the safety issue and of course that comes first so yeah, most probably Ukraine wouldn't end up hosting it, but EBU prematurely releasing this statement without having properly discussed with the Ukrainian delegation and broadcaster isn't the way to go either and it looks bad on the EBU's part, not on Ukraine's.
I didn't see anyone ridiculing the reactions, at least not one of us who you quoted in your post. I think the decision of EBU was not prematurely but the obvious decision. I say it again, there is no way anyone with a reasonable sense of mind would even consider to set up an event like the ESC in less than a year when there is still war in this country. It is not about to please Ukraine or anyone in this so why postponing the rather obvious doesn't really make sense for the EBU. Maybe they should be more obvious in their intentions about this but I feel they're trying to be careful. The discussion about this is too polemic and emotions get in the way of a lot of people. So I guess EBU doesn't want to piss people off but creating false hope for UA is not helping either. They should've ruled it out right from the beginning and not letting the delegation trying to do their best to hand in all the necessary papers in time. I would've been shattered as well.
Yet again, if we would observe the question of hosting from a neutral standpoint most people would agree on how irrational this approach is. Imagine anyone would've considered to set up an international event in an Ex-Yugo country (e.g. HR or BiH) in the mid 90s.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I didn't see anyone ridiculing the reactions, at least not one of us who you quoted in your post. I think the decision of EBU was not prematurely but the obvious decision. I say it again, there is no way anyone with a reasonable sense of mind would even consider to set up an event like the ESC in less than a year when there is still war in this country. It is not about to please Ukraine or anyone in this so why postponing the rather obvious doesn't really make sense for the EBU. Maybe they should be more obvious in their intentions about this but I feel they're trying to be careful. The discussion about this is too polemic and emotions get in the way of a lot of people. So I guess EBU doesn't want to piss people off but creating false hope for UA is not helping either. They should've ruled it out right from the beginning and not letting the delegation trying to do their best to hand in all the necessary papers in time. I would've been shattered as well.
Yet again, if we would observe the question of hosting from a neutral standpoint most people would agree on how irrational this approach is. Imagine anyone would've considered to set up an international event in an Ex-Yugo country (e.g. HR or BiH) in the mid 90s.

The "ridicule" part I referred to some wording choices and the misunderstanding of the Ukrainian standpoint here. You don't win a war with believing you will loose, it's not that they really want to risk people's safety and I feel people miss the point.

But regardless, I agree with you that EBU should have told them right away, now they gave the impression it could be possible and went public without apparently a proper talk with the Ukrainians.

Brandt

It is just sad because EBU having to re-express their decision on the safety of all fans is just the result of internet bullying of romantic thinkers' ideal reality rather than the one we are actually in. If I was in EBU's shoes I wouldn't bother to tell people for a second time why I care about their safety more than them.

Miss Antartica

But I did not understand, will the eurovison be organized in the UNITED KINGDOM with the money of Ukrainian TV or will it pay the BBC?

A-lister

Veteran
It is just sad because EBU having to re-express their decision on the safety of all fans is just the result of internet bullying of romantic thinkers' ideal reality rather than the one we are actually in. If I was in EBU's shoes I wouldn't bother to tell people for a second time why I care about their safety more than them.

And again a sarcastic comment about "romantic idealists", missing the point of what people are saying.

Why is it so hard to understand the Ukrainian perspective without making it look as if they want to harm people? All EBU could have done is to properly consult with them and then release a statement. I mean will Ukraine even have a part of the production? Will they be represented in the hosting? Why not Poland where the vast majority of Ukrainian refugees and diaspora is that could have allowed them to feel more a part of this? Seems like EBU is just on to the highest bidder.

At least I hope that the Ukrainian delegation will be integrated in the hosting and like I wrote in another thread, I think the hosting should technically seem look like as if Ukraine was a host. That's just fair

Brandt

Why is it so hard to understand the Ukrainian perspective without making it look as if they want to harm people? All EBU could have done is to properly consult with them and then release a statement. I mean will Ukraine even have a part of the production? Will they be represented in the hosting? Why not Poland where the vast majority of Ukrainian refugees and diaspora is that could have allowed them to feel more a part of this? Seems like EBU is just on to the highest bidder.
I find it fascinating that people actually require an explanation as to why it is a bad idea to host the contest in a country where war is still present, and it is even further magnificent to me that they actually want to negotiate the circumstances with the winning broadcaster. The statements regarding the hosting just cites that the country will not be Ukraine.
It is our full intention that Ukraine's win will be reflected in next year's shows. This will be a priority for us in our
discussions with the eventual hosts.
EBU literally says that they will not dismiss Ukraine's victory next year, but people still cry a river over a decision that is just so obvious and reasonable to be made.

A-lister

Veteran
I find it fascinating that people actually require an explanation as to why it is a bad idea to host the contest in a country where war is still present, and it is even further magnificent to me that they actually want to negotiate the circumstances with the winning broadcaster. The statements regarding the hosting just cites that the country will not be Ukraine.
I find it fascinating how you don't understand any responses so clearly pointless to try discuss with you because somehow you make the conclusion that People here want to harm people and that we don't grasp the seriousness of the situation. I didn't even wrote about Ukraine hosting it (that's obviously more an idealistic view) but that EBU could have closed the case with the Ukrainian delegation first and then go public with it which doesn't seem to be the case.

Also why are you so certain there will still be a war in a year from now? I mean probably but I understand that's not how Ukraine wants to view their future.
EBU literally says that they will not dismiss Ukraine's victory next year, but people still cry a river over a decision that is just so obvious and reasonable to be made.
EBU are pretty notorious for saying one thing and doing another, point is will the Ukrainian delegation be part of the actual hosting or will someone else just "not dismiss their victory" (as you put it) on their behalf?, these are two different scenarios. If they couldn't have properly talked this through behind closed doors, how well will Ukraine be represented and to what extent will they be involved in the production and the content of the show? xshrug

Last edited:

HarryUK

I think what a lot of fans are forgetting is that the venue literally has to be ready now, for a wide variety of reasons ranging from long-term planning of events across the city (such as Euroclub, Euro Village, pre-parties and the opening ceremony) as well as adhering to the long list of EBU requirements for a host city. Ukraine would have known this from when they last hosted in 2017. It's honestly heartbreaking that it's not safe enough for us to celebrate in Ukraine next year, but I'd rather it went ahead in Ukraine's honour in a safe country. Russia poses a threat to the very existence of our continent, a threat that for me matches that of Nazi Germany - to host Eurovision in Ukraine, on the basis of the evidence presented to the EBU via the security questionnaire, would be absolutely ludicrous and extremely dangerous - and I think people are sadly blinded to this being the reality of the situation.

Brandt

why are you so certain there will still be a war in a year from now? I mean probably but I understand that's not how Ukraine wants to view their future.
:lol: ok mate. let's live in the romantic reality

Last edited:

HarryUK

With Nicola Sturgeon attempting to mask an illegal ‘independence’ referendum by calling it a consultative vote, I have a hunch the BBC may have their hand forced when it comes to hosting - forcing their hand as far away from Scotland as possible. The BBC is government run, so it’ll ensure that Sturgeon and her cronies have no reason to monopolise on the undecided voters with Eurovision and how ‘successful’ Scotland was as a host, when in fact talent from across the UK, Ukraine and the rest of Europe would have contributed to the host city’s success.

Mainshow

Veteran
Some news on two interested cities:

ABERDEEN:
Their City Council approved the funding of Aberdeen´s bid to host Eurovision

CARDIFF:
The Welsh Parliament voted on whether to support Cardiff´s bid to host the event or not. 40 members supported it - 10 voted against it.

EliGrant6

I've been wondering when the BBC and EBU are going to announce that Eurovision 2023 will be in the UK? Not that I'm knocking them on anything, just wondering what it is that is keeping the EBU from officially naming the UK as the host nation.

Sammy

Veteran
I've been wondering when the BBC and EBU are going to announce that Eurovision 2023 will be in the UK? Not that I'm knocking them on anything, just wondering what it is that is keeping the EBU from officially naming the UK as the host nation.
I think it’s gonna be the EBU once the decision about the host city has been made.

Mainshow

Veteran
Some "concrete news" regarding Bristol´s bid:

The city plans to use the YTL Arena which is still currently under construction as the venue of the event. This new arena will use the former Brabazon hangar where the Bristol Brabazon was built in the late 1940s. The arena is planned to be able to have 17,000 seats using the large space that was once used to make the largest aircraft ever built in the UK. It is reported that 28,000m2 of floor space will be available.

ESC94

Too be honest I kinda doubt that the contest will be held in :sc: since Nicola Sturgeon announced plans for a second independence referendum. Will the BBC really "grant" them the show?? xthink

Mainshow

Veteran
Bristol´s offer sounds excellent, imo.

Personally, I think that it really depends on the additional financial "aid"/funds - and it seems that the Scottish parliament would back it up (like spending money on Eurovision) - dunno, if the British parliament thinks the same - in the end, money talks

EliGrant6

Some "concrete news" regarding Bristol´s bid:

I love this idea. Eurovision feels more fun when it's in a less traditional location.
I doubt they'll go with it since there's so many other options, but it'd be really cool

Top Bottom