Contact us

Where will it be hosted?

Fluke

I'm sure that question was asked by many as soon as Ukraine started to emerge as a possible winner, and it's even more relevant now: Who will be the host country, since it can't possibly be Ukraine? The host country and city has to be decided by August-October this year, and even if the conflict in Ukraine is completely over then, they have to be absolutely that there won't be any risk of more complications, plus they have other things to spend their money on for sure. So, it's pretty safe to say they simply won't host it.

I'm gonna call it now and say it's gonna be the UK. First off, they won the jury vote AND made 2nd place overall, which itself is a reason, and they've been a main contender for hosting previously when there's been doubts if the winning country is going to be able to host - and i think the last time was, not coincidentally, also when Ukraine won.

As crappy as their ESC results are, the UK is one of the countries who pay most to the EBU and among the countries with most power over the entire contest - it's often stated that the whole contest would start an hour earlier if it wasn't for the UK's insistence on placing the show on "prime time" for them. And they frequently host big international sports and other huge events, so they have the resources and expertise to do it right, which is probably why they and Germany always come up as contenders, despite neither of them doing particularly well in the contest.

So have their been any statements from the EBU on this yet? I can only find some statements by Zelensky stating that they're ready to host it, but i'm not sure the EBU will agree.

b4ld3r

Although the UK seems likely, as others have said Poland is a possible dark horse. Kraków is located close to the Ukrainian border, and houses Poland's largest indoor arena. Poland also has relatively recent hosting experience from JESC 2020, which might give it the edge over the UK. I am however unsure if the EBU given free choice really would pick Poland as the host, given how incredibly unpopular it would be among the fans.

Last edited:

SAYAY

:es: RTVE, :it: RAI and :se: SVT/the mayor of Stockholm have also expressed interest in hosting in 2023. I also think :no: NRK/The head of delegation has somewhat expressed interest.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Eurovision 2023 ended up close to Valencia in Spain cause that would be an epic win win for me for 2 reasons.

1. I can visit my Spanish best friend
2. Beach and drinks :love:

I also wouldn't mind going to UK and stock up on some tea :coffee::uk: I also feel like that would be most fair since they came 2nd place. But maybe its easier if Turin is host city again as RAI has suggested? Idk. Time will show.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
Although the UK seems likely, as others have said Poland is a possible dark horse. Kraków is located close to the Ukrainian border, and houses Poland's largest indoor arena. Poland also has relatively recent hosting experience from JESC 2020, which might give it the edge over the UK. I am however unsure if the EBU given free choice really would pick Poland as the host, given how incredibly unpopular it would be among the fans.
I think it's gonna be a little bit complicated when it comes to having a 'host entry', I mean Ukraine technically won but Poland is the hosting country, so both of them would have to be an automatic qualifier for different reasons, aren't they?

SAYAY

I think it's gonna be a little bit complicated when it comes to having a 'host entry', I mean Ukraine technically won but Poland is the hosting country, so both of them would have to be an automatic qualifier for different reasons, aren't they?
Thats a good question actually. No matter who hosts Ukraine should still be an automatic qualifier I think, but if the host is Poland or some other non-big 5 country, then that complicates things a bit if EBU only wants 5 direct qualifiers + the winning country from last year. Maybe if a non-big 5 country hosts then that country can get a free pass and Ukraine would have to qualify as usual since they aren't hosting. But that's not fair towards Ukraine again since they won.

Man what a headache I just gave myself.

Edit: I just remembered that when Australia entered in 2015 they were an automatic qualifier to the final, so maybe its actually not such a big deal if a non-big 5 country hosts it after all and I'm just overcomplicating :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
Edit: I just remembered that when Australia entered in 2015 they were an automatic qualifier to the final, so maybe its actually not such a big deal if a non-big 5 country hosts it after all and I'm just overcomplicating :ROFLMAO:

I mean the Australia case is on special circumstances while Poland and Ukraine have been competing for a long ass time, that's why I feel it's gonna hit different if we have a 27 song final for this occassion.

SAYAY

I mean the Australia case is on special circumstances while Poland and Ukraine have been competing for a long ass time, that's why I feel it's gonna hit different if we have a 27 song final for this occassion.

Thats true. But this is special circumstances as well. I am sure all of the competing countries will respect and understand it. But I think its more likely one of the big 5 countries will take it rather than Poland or Sweden, and out of them I feel its fair if UK ends up doing it since they came in 2nd place. But who knows, maybe we won't even leave Turin :lol:

tomos2019

If it actually is in Ukraine I wouldn't mind Lviv like could have happened in 2017, although unlikely, but if it's in the UK I'd prefer London hosting in that sort of scenario to it being the first choice in the modern era for geographical inequality reasons, sorry! The Netherlands could also host again sooner than they thought being as they've done it a few times when other countries couldn't too lol.

SAYAY

Has United Kingdom expressed interest in hosting though? I have seen the ones I mentioned above, but I dont think I have seen anything from the United Kingdom yet

0scar

The Netherlands could also host again sooner than they thought being as they've done it a few times when other countries couldn't too lol.

Nah, not our time and place to step in
Don't think AVROTROS is keen on hosting again soon after 2020-2021 haha

tomos2019

Has United Kingdom expressed interest in hosting though? I have seen the ones I mentioned above, but I dont think I have seen anything from the United Kingdom yet
That's a good point, you would think the BBC would but they haven't said anything yet.

soulm8

Impossibile to be Ukraine. They are still taking donations for the war. I guess they can use it for better purpose than organizing song contest.

Last edited:

ManiaMuse

That's a good point, you would think the BBC would but they haven't said anything yet.
It's not really the BBC's style given the politics over their funding arrangements and the future of the license fee. Given the costs I am sure discussions are happening high up at the BBC and with the Culture Secretary about the costs/benefits and whether they should make an approach to the EBU or not.

They probably want to let Ukraine have their moment as well before making public noises.

Deleted member 12761

Next year is Ukraine's edition and the show will be about Ukraine. Because of that I hope it's not Spain or UK. I want them to win on their own and have their own editions. Poland would make sense politically and culturally and Poland has never hosted Eurovision before. Sweden would be a good partner, too. They know how to make a great show and I think their shows are also cheaper.

Imo it should be Poland or Sweden.

Chrisiam

I'm not sure if he BBC themselves have openly expressed an interest in it but the British Government has said that in the Event that Ukraine is unable to host it then the UK will do it. The UK's Business Secretary made comments about it on a politics show on Sunday. I forget the exact details on it but I think the BBC is being quiet on it because they don't want to steal Ukraine's thunder on the matter or come across in as taking advantage of a sensitive situation.

Given the current political situation with the UK as a previous poster stated the BBC won't do anything publicly that will further damage their reputation with certain parties. But if the government makes the choice for them, well, they'll do it to help argue their case for funding later.

With all that said, well, if the past few months have told me anything it is that one should never count the Ukraine out of anything and if they can find a way in doing something they'll do it. I can still seem them hosting it themselves, even if it might end up with a contest that is a little different to the scale we are familiar with.

Last edited:

SAYAY

I'm not sure if he BBC themselves have openly expressed an interest in it but the British Government has said that in the Event that Ukraine is unable to host it then the UK will do it. The UK's Business Secretary made comments about it on a politics show on Sunday. I forget the exact details on it but I think the BBC is being quiet on it because they don't want to steal Ukraine's thunder on the matter or come across in as taking advantage of a sensitive situation.

Given the current political situation with the UK as a pervious poster stated the BBC won't do anything publicly that will further damage their reputation with certain parties. But if the government makes the choice for them, well, they'll do it to help argue their case for funding later.

With all that said, well, if the past few months have told me anything it is that one should never count the Ukraine out of anything and if they can find a way in doing something they'll do it. I can still seem them hosting it themselves, even if it might end up with a contest that is a little different to the scale we are familiar with.

Aww thats nice of them! I totally understand not wanting to try and steal Ukraines thunder right after the contest (cant say otherwise for Sweden :ROFLMAO: )

However, seems eurovision 2023 will take place on the moon with the hosts being Subwoolfer and DJ Astronaut! There will also be special apperances by Sam Ryder and Rosa Linn who have flown to the moon on a spaceship and a banana for the occation!!

Loindici

Veteran
Next year is Ukraine's edition and the show will be about Ukraine. Because of that I hope it's not Spain or UK. I want them to win on their own and have their own editions. Poland would make sense politically and culturally and Poland has never hosted Eurovision before. Sweden would be a good partner, too. They know how to make a great show and I think their shows are also cheaper.

Imo it should be Poland or Sweden.

I'm probably too worrisome being concerned with having the contest in Poland. Not because of Poland itself, tho, just a bit vigilant of whatever Russia will do to Poland knowing numbers of Ukrainians will be there and both countries are currently in tension.

Top Bottom