Contact us

When The Diaspora Dies

FallenAngelII

Ummm...were you watching the same contest that I watched? Many of the results were based on diaspora! The fact that Turkey and Greece didn't recieve high marks as usual is because their songs were weak. Diaspora was in full force again this year!
Are you saying diaspora voters don't vote for the entries of their countries of origin if their entries are weak? So... just like any other voters? Also, if the "diaspora was in full force again this year", was it because the songs their were voting for were strong? After all, the Greek and Turkish diaspora didn't vote for their "own" songs due to them being weak! What's the logic here exactly?

And no, it really wasn't. This was one of the least diaspora and neighbour voting-centric ESC's in the history of the contest.

rajo

I think juries can balance the diaspora votes, but not the neighbourly votes.

When I think of my own country, Serbia and Bosnia & Herzegovina scored pretty high (10 and 7 respectively) as usual, so I guess the televote was won by Serbia with Bosnia as runner-up. No dying of diaspora voting at all, I guess.

And Switzerland, also a stronghold of Balkan immigrants, gave the main points to Serbia, Bosnia and Albania.

The Greek diaspora may have been a bit tired this year. Maybe they didn't want to risk Greece hosting the contest next year....

JackBauer

I think the juries are definitely going the right way.

It was a little less obvious this year but the EBU just needs to act a little more.

I think EBU should really take the juries's buisness out of the broadcasters's hand. They should simply pick the juries in each countries, having someone contacting 5 music industry members in each country and not telling the broadcaster about it and asking for discretion for people.

Then on eurovision's day you just ask people to be present at the broadcaster's office and be put in front of a tv to each cast a mark out of 10 or 20 after each song (like they used to btw) then you just enter the mark in the computer and it's sending the jury top ten directly to EBU. I suspect they have to hire a notary to check the votes in every country anyway so why not using him/her more?

It would cancel most of exchanging the votes as it would looks too suspicious if everyone have the same winner in their votes. It would make so much more sense than to bring five people to discuss and let 3 menbers convinced the other 2 that you that you have to give 12 to cyprus as you are in the greek jury).

And they could also during the jury rehearsal to not mention which countries is singing, just give a mark to song number 1, number 2, 3 not Romania, France or Iceland.

All you need to pay one guy who has to find five people working in the music industry in 43 countries, and a room with 5 chairs with 5 computers. They could even watch the show at home for all i care as long as they vote after each performance!

bubblingtrue

Are you saying diaspora voters don't vote for the entries of their countries of origin if their entries are weak? So... just like any other voters? Also, if the "diaspora was in full force again this year", was it because the songs their were voting for were strong? After all, the Greek and Turkish diaspora didn't vote for their "own" songs due to them being weak! What's the logic here exactly?

And no, it really wasn't. This was one of the least diaspora and neighbour voting-centric ESC's in the history of the contest.

I still wonder if you were watching the same contest...I predicted the majority of 10's and 12's from each country voting...

bubblingtrue

I still wonder if you were watching the same contest...I predicted the majority of 10's and 12's from each country voting...

And I imagine that the greek and turkish disapora DID vote for their own songs...however I don't imagine anyone else did, hence the lower marks...

CypriotGirl

Veteran

Same here. And my parents all the time were telling me to shut up, because I became annoying! :lol:

I would personally prefer to know where the 12 points of each country will go, but the rest points to be unpredictable, rather than knowing that XXX country will vote for sure for YYY, ZZZ, AAA, BBB and CCC country, no matter what, because they are neighbors, and then to be some points for the rest countries...

as78

Same here. And my parents all the time were telling me to shut up, because I became annoying! :lol:

For many countries it was easy, I also predicted before the notification.
Funniest moment was when Greece votes announced. Our TV commentators (Valters & Kaža) said that Turkey will obviously get 12 points. I almost fell off my chair with laugh.

pablorabia

I think that Albania's song was good. But Greece's 10 points to Albania (for example) came from the many albanian immigrants that live in Greece and the jury. Greek, generally, don't like this type of songs. For me it was good, though.

sonami

who cares, uk used to vote greece or turkey as thats where they holiday or did in europe...... now they just give jedward the max points..... whats worse? lol

pablorabia

I didn't like greek song either (she obviously couldn't sing) but you should be more polite, I think.

Little

Excuse for re-up, but I read some comments not very intelligent.

Italy didn't vote for Sweden cause they were the only one country which could beat Sweden

and I was thinking too the voting would go on between Italy and Sweden following by Russia.. but now I see I was wrong about Italy (maybe europe was wrong )
Conpiracy theory:
The countries which gave Sweden the lowest points were Italy, Portugal and San Marino. Maybe the juries all banded together and agreed to give Sweden low marks because they thought Italy had a chance at winning. Italy and San Marino both gave 12 points to Albania. They clearly chose Albania as their "safe option"!
I think too.
Bad televotes? To make the conspiracy less obvious?

(The conspiracy theory is (mostly) in jest)

I'm rewatching the final with the BBC commentary and I noticed something when San Marino was giving away their points. The presenter says "These are the points of the San Marinese jury" (in French). So, clearly, San Marino went 100% jury. +1 for the conspiracy theory!

These comments aren't based about the italian reality of ESC. I don't know any person in real life that know what is ESC. The only italian that followed esc have been met by me on Internet. Italian DON'T know what is esc, they don't care about esc. The 1st semifinal had 0,23% of share, the second hasn't been broadcasted and the final had 7,5% of share (the tv program less seen of the most important 6 italian channels) and all sure a lot of that audience didn't know what is esc, but was composed of occasional spectators. If you look italian voting, it's influenced a lot by immigrants present in italy and finally... we gave 10 points to russia!! If I have a good memory, russia was one of favorite for winning... and also, in italy nobody knows loreen; besides italians were afraid more of russia than sweden, look this (Nina Zilli @ Quelli Che Il Calcio 25/04/2012 - "L'Amore è Femmina" e... - YouTube) and this (Tilsammans för att stötta Loreen och Nina Zilli). And nonosting all, italians that know esc, are not much, so it's impossible they made an accord for beating sweden. Moreover, rai didn't want italy wins (because of costs of organization of esc), so ther aren't any accords with s. marino... we didn't receive 12 ponits, but only 7... are you searching a pretext for accusing us? And anyway, Sweden didn't give any points to italy, so what's the problem? We italians could accuse you of same things you accuse us, if this is your way of thinking.
And anyway, you won with an ENORMOUS difference of score... and if you lost for 1 point? What would you have done? Would you have declared war against italy? -.-'

Top Bottom