Contact us

When The Diaspora Dies

FilipFromSweden

I don't think diaspora helped Albania, i think jury did :) even Sweden gaved it points

FilipFromSweden

Is the juryresults / televoting results out yet?

Grinch

I don't understand why people think Albanian diaspora helped Albania. They sent the strongest entry in ages. I didn't even like the song but I was WOWed by her, it was really impressive and cool. Don't you remember the crowd's reaction after Rona's screams?

Quent91

By the way, is there a big Latvian/Lithuanian diaspora in Ireland ? Every year you guys send points to these countries. Especially in 2008 to :lv:: and in 2007 to :lt:

Rusch

Some votes were highly predictable, but it seems to be better than in the past. However, the would have reached Top 10 without block voting. So still a good result without any doubt.

Quent91

I'd say this year, the bloc voting was less strong than the previous years. The only strong blocs left were the Ex-YU countries, the Ex-SU countries and TR-AZ.

Scandinavia and the Baltic countries didn't send votes to each other as they did in the past.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I am aware that the EBU makes money of those phone calls but maybe another way to fight diaspora/friendly voting is to either allow only 5 calls per phone line or no more than 3 or 5 votes per country from each phone line.

Yamarus

It should be no more than 5 votes per country.

FallenAngelII

I'm rewatching the final with the BBC commentary and I noticed something when San Marino was giving away their points. The presenter says "These are the points of the San Marinese jury" (in French). So, clearly, San Marino went 100% jury. +1 for the conspiracy theory!

Terence

There's an explanation for everything in the world!

So ESC is beginning to be a fairy contest as we all saw last night diaspora is dying :D

Turkey, And Malta which never votes for Turkey gave 8 points.

He was promoting his entry here on two highly-viewed TV shows so people were familiar with the song, plus he's apparently buddies with our Kurt so that's another plus (which also explains our 12points to Cyprus un 2005, Constantinos and Chiara came across as friends in front of cameras... whether it was mutual ass-licking is debatable)

I honestly think Albania got a few sympathy votes.

Spencre

Nice to hear that! But the diaspora of Albania helped it this year, along with the help of the juries of course.

You should better shut up!

If any albanian diaspora does exist, where are they during 7 long years?

2004 - 7 with 106 points
2005 - 16 with 53 points
2006 - Not finalist
2007 - Not finalist
2008 - 17 with 55 points
2009 - 17 with 48 points
2010 - 16 with 62 points
2011 - Not finalist
2012 - 5 with 146 points

Albanian in Europe are only in Switzeland, Turkey, Greece & Macedonia => These countries gaves points to Albania MOST of the time.
And Italy during these two last years.
But we can't talk about diaspora when 4 countries (yeah i do not count Italy) gaves points to another country.
This is ridiculous.

If you want to talk about geopolitical votes, you should count the number of countries which gaves points to Russia each year, nearly 10 countries, the same for Serbia each year, the same for Turkey, the same for Azerbaijan, the same for Greece.

Well, we can't talk about an albanian diaspora, and the jury vote which will be shown next days will show that albania was just the favorite of jury, the televotes which represent the power of diaspora of a country, will show that albania was less than 9 place.

doctormalisimo

By the way, is there a big Latvian/Lithuanian diaspora in Ireland ? Every year you guys send points to these countries. Especially in 2008 to :lv:: and in 2007 to :lt:

Yes, there's a very big Latvian, Lithuanian, Slovakian and Polish diaspora in Ireland (especially the last one)

bubblingtrue

So ESC is beginning to be a fairy contest as we all saw last night diaspora is dying :D

Greece, always got 12 from UK and last night zero, always got 10 or 12 from Bulgaria and last night only 1 point from Bulgaria.. Also Belgium, Germany etc gave low points to Greece

Turkey, always got 12 points from France and got only 5 points from France, also Romania (not diaspora but neighbour) only gave 3 points to Turkey, also Netherlands, Germany didn't give 12 and Switzerland gave only 3... Also UK (not really diaspora but always votes for Turkey) gave only 1 point :D Also Lithuania and Israel which never votes for Turkey gave 1 point to Turkey. And Malta which never votes for Turkey gave 8 points.

Sweden, with a great song won and 18 countries gave 12 points to Sweden especially Russia didn't give 12 to its neighbours but Sweden.

Nordic Countries didn't vote friendly, Denmark, Norway and Iceland didn't get good points from theirselves :D 12 points were for Sweden but Loreen won so we don't mind it..

ACTUALLY IT'S BEEN A FAIRY NIGHT ISN'T IT ?

Ummm...were you watching the same contest that I watched? Many of the results were based on diaspora! The fact that Turkey and Greece didn't recieve high marks as usual is because their songs were weak. Diaspora was in full force again this year!

Top Bottom