Croak-kay
giphy.gif

deen1_537640491.jpg

Playlist missing Mars Agro - Losing You and Eartha Kitt - I Love Men

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Omg Kai, I'm so sorry - my rl rubbish got in the way of voting here. xrose

Hey, don't you worry about it at all, Gary. I'm really happy with what we're sending and I've got a feeling you might have chosen it from the three anyway had you given them a listen. To Leiden we go! xbike

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Picture%2B7.png

Julee Cruise was an American singer from Iowa best known for working with the filmmaker, David Lynch, and his frequent collaborator, Angelo Badalamenti. The music was a pivotal part of Lynch's cult classic tv series, Twin Peaks. It's my favourite show of all time and a huge part of why I love it is the soundtrack which so perfectly matches the mysterious logging town that's so full of eccentric characters. A show with bone chilling moments contrasted by charming, at times silly soap opera-esque shenanigans. Julee's beautiful, ethereal voice was used as a contrast too. The song I'm sharing with you here, The World Spins, was performed on the show by Julee immediately following one of its most shocking, difficult to watch scenes. After darkness you're immediately greeted by the most heavenly sounds, creating such a surreal and sad moment. When I think of the entire three seasons it's still this part with Julee that stays with me the most, along with Bob's iconic creepy sofa moment of course.

Moving near the edge at night
Dust is dancing in the space
A dog and bird are far away
The sun comes up and down each day
Light and shadow change the walls
Halley's comet's come and gone
The things I touch are made of stone
Falling through this night alone

Love
Don't go away
Come back this way
Come back and stay
Forever and ever

Please stay

Dust is dancing in the space
A dog and bird are far away
The sun comes up and down each day
The river flows out to the sea

Love
Don't go away
Come back this way
Come back and stay
Forever and ever

The world spins.

V5uV.gif

NF RESULTS

xvJpOSp.png

I held this NF with no preferences but after receiving Uto's votes and hearing what he had to say about the imagery from a video I shared with him, suddenly The World Spins felt like the right choice as a tribute to Julee. A big thank you again to the seven of you that helped me out xheart I hope you enjoy the song.

🌹

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Strand-Of-Oaks-2019-Alysse-Gafkajen.jpg

Strand of Oaks is the project of Austin based songwriter, Timothy Showalter. Our rocker has released seven albums to date, starting with 2009's Leave Ruin, up to his most recent offering, 2021's In Heaven. It's from the latter the song we're sharing with you this edition comes. Jimi & Stan takes the heartache of losing a pet and turns it into this big uplifting number about Timothy imagining his pussycat Stan being up there in heaven, hanging out with Jimi Hendrix. I hope you enjoy it!

Jimi and Stan in heaven
Making friends going to shows
In my dreams, I just hope they're having a blast
Jimi found Stan in heaven sitting in a sun-filled room
All the galaxy in view
Jimi and stan

Back in life I wonder, why we hang around so long?
For me it's all the songs I haven't found
We're born with flaws conditions, generational anxieties
Just screaming look at me, it's all for show

Not Jimi and Stan
Not Jimi and Stan
Now I don't have my buddy
He knew me so well
It's hard to be happy
Or even go out
Without Jimi and Stan
Oh, Jimi and Stan
Oh, Jimi and Stan
Oh, Jimi and Stan
Oh, Jimi and Stan

Jimi and Stan in heaven
Making friends going to shows
In my dreams, I just hope they're having a blast
Jimi found Stan in heaven sitting in a sun-filled room
All the galaxy in view
Jimi and Stan
Oh, Jimi and Stan

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
soo.jpg

7th in Semi 1 with 76 Points / 3rd in REJU with 55 Points
4th
in the Grand Final with
145 Points
WorldVision has changed so much over the years. As people come and go, we witness different genres having their moment in the spotlight, and so it makes me really happy knowing I can still successfully share with you a big ol' slice of heartland rock by a delightfully hairy gent. 4th is an amazing result and the fact it's for a song that means a lot to me makes it even better. Thank you! And probably not the last you'll see of this man here too. He's got two or three other songs that have been high up on my shortlist for some time, so maybe another will come in time.

:12: :sobr: ::ceca
:10: :es: :pe: :uk: :it:
:8: :svea: :lv: Lombardy
:7: :fr: :ca: :ie:
:6: :at: :cy:
:5: :hk: :pl:
:4: :ar: :be:
:3: :coffee:
:2: ::texs
:1: :cn: ::gali :gr: :mn:

I'll think a bit more about our next entry when it's confirmed where we're going next, but I already have some ideas for if our Mero accepts the hosting gauntlet.

Also, I'm toying in my head with some NF ideas. Probably not for this next edition as I've left it too late but I've been thinking of possibly holding selections for either Alternative Hip Hop (have had this planned for years but always feared a lack of interest), Rock (could potentially be a follow on to my Garage Rock NF from a couple of years ago or maybe just a mixture of rock sub genres), Late 90s/Early 00s R&B NF.. perhaps an Americana part 2 selection or even a small yet snazzy Father John Misty NF as I really want to send him again, but I know he's a hard sell, and so a selection could help. Any of those tickle your fancy?

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
tpPgnRW.png

Good evening commanders. We hope you're all ready to blast off tonight for this edition of WorldVision as United States is sharing with you an iconic slice of disco. Sheila & B. Devotion were a group that comprised of the French singer, Sheila, and three American gentlemen, Dany Mac Farlane, Freddy Stracham and Arthur Wilkins. In 1979 the band collaborated with Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards of the legendary group, Chic. The result was the birth of the delicious sci-fi themed, Spacer.

My first experience with the song was on a big multiple disc disco compilation album I was given when I was a teenager. Along with Amanda Lear's, Follow Me, it was my favourite track on the record. I was immediately enthralled by the camp fabulousness of it all. I'd later hear the tune again when my Melodifestivalen obsession started and I went wild for Alcazar. The Swedish trio's second single, Crying At The Discoteque heavily samples Spacer.

It never hit me that I could send one of my all time favourite disco songs from the States until the eureka moment came after investigating B. Devotion. I'm happy to share it with you on this wonderful space themed edition of WorldVision we're having in Poland right now. I hope you enjoy it, and safe space travels, commanders.

215b91_171ba2fc838245389fc47ad515b66c01~mv2.gif

He's a spacer
A star chaser
A spacer

He's a ladies man
Always greets with, a kiss on the hand
He protects us all
At the ready to answer our call
In his own special way he is gentle and kind
Oppression he hates
Love in his eyes
My heart skips a beat when I'm by his side

He's a spacer
A star chaser
A spacer
He's a spacer
A star chaser
A spacer

In our galaxy
You can't trust everyone that you meet
I'm so lucky
He's the only one I'll ever need
He will blast off tonight
He puts his life on the line everytime he's in flight
A man you can trace
But our love will last beyond time and space

He's a spacer
A star chaser
A spacer
He's a spacer
A star chaser
A spacer
He's a spacer
A star chaser
A spacer

DismalUnsungCalf-size_restricted.gif

🪐🛸 👽 👨‍🚀 🚀 ⭐

catjam-cat.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
SHEILA+SPACER.gif

4th in Semi 1 with 79 Points / 8th in REJU with 41 Points
7th
in the Grand Final with 127 Points

The year has finally picked up for us after a pretty underwhelming start. We're now sitting at a 50% qualification percentage for 2022 and four top 10s under our belt, with Sheila and her boys adding another. Thank you so much for all the support and especially those three lovely 12 pointers from Gary, Kris and Brian xlove Our disco gents
215b91_171ba2fc838245389fc47ad515b66c01~mv2.gif

:12: :nl: :it: :lt:
:10: :pe:
:8: :au: :de: :ru:
:7: 👽
:6: :ca: :sobr:
:5: :kr: Lombardia
:4: :kant: :west: :cy: :svea:
:3: :pl:
:2: :ua: :al: :lv:
:1: :seou: :il:

So it's Congrats next. Someone else will be taking over United States and I'll be heading to Australia. Despite the sheer amount of possibilities, the entry decision I've made here was crystal clear. This is a special celebration and I need to be at my best for it. Of all the songs I could possibly send to the contest, this is the one I always thought had the most potential to shock people. Hope you're all wearing your best brick protection cause here comes mine. The song itself you could probably describe as a D/E/F hybrid but I'm confident it can go beyond that cause of how ridonkulously epic and goosebump inducing the whole thing is. Think Festivali i kenges diva with the biggest voice you've ever heard, rising above an explosion of pulsating synths and wild percussion whilst wearing a glittering ballgown. You ain't ready.

The song itself is actually Japanese produced and the singer of the song now lives and works there, but I decided to go with their home country, Australia, seeing as the song is in English. This artist is known for lending her vocal talents to video games such as Final Fantasy, Outrun 2 and hmmm Metal Gear Solid :unsure: And I was surprised to learn recently she also voiced characters in some childhood faves of mine such as Silent Hill 2+3, Rumble Roses, Bloody Roar 4 and Virtua Fighter 4. Can't wait to introduce this lady to you.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
KtwBMg8.jpg

australia-heart-flag-2018.png

I didn't know where would be the right place to put this, but I really wanted to still do a little promo for this entry as I'm so pumped to be sharing it. Without further ado, here's our Aussie entry.

The song I'm sending to this special Congrats edition of WorldVision is by Australian singer and voice actress Donna Burke. Today she lives and works in Japan, lending her talents to various anime and video games. She's perhaps known most notably for her work with Hideo Kojima and his iconic spy series of video games, Metal Gear Solid.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was released in 2015 and to this day has been last MGS we've gotten. In the game, Donna Burke sings the suitably epic, Sins Of The Father, bringing the series to an explosive finish. The piece is composed by Akihiro Honda with Ludvig Forssell providing the weighty lyrics.

I've always wanted to share this song with you. It's been my dream entry, so to speak, and here we finally are. It's probably the most ridonkulous song I've had up my sleeve and I think there's no better time to be extra than now on our special congrats edition. I hope Sins Of The Father blows your wigs off too as it does mine each time I experience it.

Blind, in the deepest night
Reaching out, grasping for a fleeting memory
All the thoughts keep piercing this broken mind
I fall, but I'm still standing motionless

Far, in the distance
There is light, a light that burns these scars of old
All this pain reminds me of what I am
I'll live, I'll become all I need to be

Woah hooooooo
Woah hooooooo woah

WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOO-O-O-O-O-OH-OH-OH
WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Words that kill
Would you speak them to me?
With your breath so still, it makes me believe
In the Father's sins
Let me suffer now and never die
I'm alive

Pride feeds their blackened hearts
And the thirst must be quenched to fuel hypocrisy
Cleansing flames is the only way to repent
Renounce what made you

Words that kill
Would you speak them to me?
With your breath so still
It makes me believe

The Sins never die
Can't wash this blood off of our hands
Let the world fear us all
It's just means to an end
Our salvation lies in the Father's sins
Beyond the truth, let me suffer now!
In my heart I just know
That there's no way to light up the dark
In his eyes

WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOO-WOAH-OH-HO-WOAH-HO-HO-OH

WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-O-OH-OH-O-OH-HO
WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WOAH HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4vUz.gif

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
cH0juEh.png

This is a song by Californian singer-songwriter Alela Diane. It's called Ether & Wood. Some of you may remember that it was a part of the Americana selection I put on here a couple of years ago (you know, the one where Margo Price ate everyone else alive). I always planned to send Alela afterwards but wanted to give it a bit of time. I just love her voice. It's so forward and warm in an earthly way. Considering the season, it feels the right time for this comforting song about the many lives lived within an old house. I hope you enjoy it.

Fell asleep on the hardwood floor
3 o'clock in the afternoon
I awoke to a pale blue sky
And the song of an old friend
Took me back to our life, ooh

I don't live anymore
I don't live anymore

All the ashes of our days are ether and wood

Oehohohoh oooohh
Ashes, ashes
Oehohohoh oooohh
Ashes, ashes

I walked through the house we built
Saw the life I left behind
Ivory paint
Cracked and peeled on the walls
The hydrangea and red rose
Strangled by vines, ooh

I don't live here anymore
I don't live here anymore

Oehohohoh oooohh
Ashes, ashes
Oehohohoh oooohh
Ashes, ashes

Next thing I knew her spirit called
She took shelter in my womb
And I felt her tiny feet
Kick me from the inside
And when I looked into her dark eyes
She couldn't help but cry - ooh

I don't live there anymore
I don't live there anymore

Oehohohoh oooohh
Ashes, ashes
Oehohohoh oooohh
Ashes, ashes
Oehohohoh oooohh
Oehohohoh oooohh
Ashes, ashes

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
76f3b180823834b2e90529f5226d86ce.jpg

2nd in Semi 2 with 93 Points / 2nd in REJU with 34 Points
2nd
in the Grand Final with
147 Points

cat-smile-happy-cat.gif
A late thank you here xheart

:12: :fr: :susa:
:10: :lt: :sobr:
:8: :ca: :svea:
:7: :be: :ie: ::ceca :cn: :lv: :pl:
:6: :jp: :ua:
:5: :au: :uk: ::sile
:4: :mn: :kant: :es:
:3: :coffee:
:2: :gr: :cy:
:1: :ba: :west:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
fatherjohnmisty-promo-01-wardandkweskin-2100x1701-300.jpg

Here's Father John Misty back for round 4 (making him tie with Mikal Cronin as my most shared artist). This one is from Misty's latest, Chlöe and the Next 20th Century, his first album since 2018's God's Favourite Customer. It's called Kiss Me (I Loved You). I was smitten from the very first listen. Melodically it gives off such I Love You, Honeybear vibes, just a lot smoother, wearing its old Hollywood influences on its sleeve. There's something very bittersweet about it. A desperate yet impassioned longing for something the odds say you can't have.

The studio version of the song is a little different. It features heavy usage of a tremolo effect on the vocals. Something that has divided fans. You might like it. You might not. Personally I think it adds even more fragility to what is already a tender song.

I'm really happy I could use a PQ on this. It's my clear favourite song of 2022. I could feel myself edging ever closer to sending Kiss Me (I Loved You) but it would have been a difficult one to watch fight through the semis. It's one of those songs where you end up caring what happens to it. Now everyone will get to hear it and I hope at least a couple of you enjoy it.

attachment-father-john-misty-chloe-4000x4000.jpeg

I swore I wouldn't do this
The wine's gone to my head
The ferryman's been stranded
Stay with me tonight instead

The end will not befall us
The sky will not descend
Life can be more sweet than bitter
If you'll only let me in

Kiss me
Kiss me
Like long ago
Kiss me
I still know
Our dream
Ended like dreams do
But kiss me
I loved you

I heard everything about you
And maybe half of it was true
Love is much less a mystery
Than who you give it to

Kiss me
Kiss me
Like long ago
Kiss me
I'm still yours
Baby
Our dream
Ended like dreams do
But kiss me
Don't you miss me?
Kiss me
I loved you

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
FATHER-JOHN-MISTY-2021-1000x600.png

Prequalified Entry
10th in the Grand Final with 115 Points

Father John Misty smashed his previous best record of 20th and slid into the top 10. It's quite bizarre as I've sent him four times now and in terms of competitiveness, his entries have ended up backwards to how I would have ordered them. I thought Kiss Me (I Loved You) would be his hardest sell but I was very wrong. I'm glad so many of you seemed to enjoy it. It's become such a very dear song to me. Thank you, thank you! You'll see him again for sure, next time very likely with his own NF as Misty has so much more to give you.

:us: 10th - 115 Points
:12: :pl: 👉👈
:10: :at: :kant:
:8: :ca: ::ceca :pe:
:7: :sobr: :ie: :ua: :hu:
:6: :ma:
:5: ::sudo
:4: :lv: :en: :svea:
:3: :be:
:2: :kz: :uk:
:1: :se:

DELIGHTFUL BONUS

Here's the monkey Jack Cruz from David Lynch's short film What Did Jack Do? covering Father John Misty. May all your lives be enriched by it and changed forever.

Next edition..... oh boy, oh boy! Put a bib on me cause my mind has never been clearer. I've waited three and a half years for this artist to make their comeback with their recently released album, and there's a song on it.... oh my. It's a moment and a half. I'm gobsmacked by it. The song is like the most beautiful, surreal dream. A haunting Angelo Badalamenti-esque hymn that builds and builds to this overwhelming wave of shimmering psychedelic sound that washes over your exposed body
6j5a5ts51jz71.png
I've watered up on pretty much every listen. I hope it touches some of you as much as it does me and I'm so excited to let people experience it.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Weyes-Blood.jpg

Three years in the making.. well, that's how long I've waited for this new album from Weyes Blood xheat The moment I heard this song, I knew immediately that I'd share it here with you. I was absolutely stunned by it.

God Turn Me Into A Flower is from Weyes Blood's freshly released record, And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow. The song is inspired by the Greek myth of Narcissus. A hunter who fell in love with his own reflection in a pool of water, staring at it for the rest of his life before eventually turning into a flower. I find it overwhelmingly powerful. I've teared up pretty much on every listen as that big swirling, almost psychedelic second half hits... how it builds and builds, washing over you. I wanted to bring Weyes Blood back to you only when she released a song that I loved more than Movies. Here it is. I hope you get lost in it too.

FibiXy1VEAASCQo

As long as I stand
To face the crowd
To know my name
To know its sound
It's good to be soft when they push you down
Oh, God, turn me into a flower

It always takes me
Such a curse to be so hard
You shatter easily and can't pick up all those shards
It's the curse of losing yourself
When the mirror takes you too far

You see the reflection
And you want it more than the truth
You yearn to be that dream you could never get to
'Cause the person on the other side has always just been you

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
weyes-blood-tickets_03-23-23_17_631b989c01081.jpg

2nd in Semi 1 with 82 Points / 6th in REJU with 30 Points
3rd
in the Grand Final with
131 Points

These past few editions xheat Ending the year the complete opposite to how we started it with some great results. Father John Misty and Weyes Blood are two of my all time favourites, and so seeing Misty secure his first top 10 and Weyes Blood again after many years away capturing people with her special brand of haunting psych-folk.. well, it's been great. Thank you!

:us: 3rd with 131 Points
:12: :be: ::nb :gr:
:10: :susa: :ma:
:8: :br: :en:
:7: :ca: :pl: :ua:
:6: :lv: :ie:
:5: :ro: :svea:
:4: :pe:
:3: ::sudo :uk:
:2: :nl: :kr: :hu:
:1: :coffee:
xrose

Here's a look at Weyes Blood's previous entries, the first dating all the way back to 2016 :coffee:

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
nNaNvyG.png

This lovely, twangy little song is by LA based band, Lord Huron and they're joined on it by Allison Ponthier. The tune is called I Lied and it's taken from the band's 2021 record, Long Lost. I've had it on my shortlist since release. It's been one of those almost but not quite entries. I'm sure you've had them too, when a song has been so often on your mind but keeps missing out on being sent. It felt finally the right moment for this song, spurred on quite a bit by Southern USA's beautiful entry last edition which put me firmly in an Americana mood.

I swore that I'd become a better man for you and I tried
Tried to change my ways and walk the line you follow
I bore a flame that burned a thousand suns for you but it died
Told you I could never love somebody else but I lied

Mmm, I lied
Mmm, I lied

I told you I'd be coming back again for you but I'm not
Going way out where the world will never find me
I made a claim that I would dance until we're bones with my bride
Told you I would never leave you all alone but I lied

I read your letter in the morning by the lake and I cried
They were tears of joy, my chains are finally broken
I made a vow to stand beside you 'til the day that I die
Told you I could never live without your love but I lied

Mmm, I lied
Mmm, I lied
Mmm, I lied
Mmm, I lied
Mmm, I lied
Mmm, I lied

663.jpg

So that's it. Our last entry for 2022. Hope you all have a great new year.

Sending you much love, best wishes and good health!

🍾🥂🎉

Last edited:
Top Bottom