4 3.0%

8 6.0%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiritofKeiino

I'd love for the UK to take a risk and send something completely out of the box next year. TAP disappointed me due to the fact that they failed in their mission to find a competent live vocalist. I hope we can get back up towards to top half of the scoreboard again and we don't stay down towards the bottom...
I'd like to see some rap, RnB or grime next year, showcasing Britain's urban music scene. I dunno would it do so well in the voting though.

Still love Love City Groove which was a little ahead of its time in Eurovision.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Someone suggested to me that the bbc should maybe change their selection process next year and I think...it's one year with a meh result since TAP came in, come on....just because one bad result with them doesn't mean we need to scrap them you know?

I want them to stick around and continue working with the BBC to find the talent. I still think we can win at some point though. Rebecca Ferguson said she would like to go for the UK? I'd take it tbh. Her voice is beautiful, and she nailed that interval act. Vocally good, right song and I think we could do well with someone like her.

Mae's song was good, and she did do very well but sadly it just didn't come across the best live as many expected. It's such a shame and I'm gutted for her.

Part of the BBCs problem is they never committed to anything and was constantly changing their approach and half arsing it. I'm still baffled all these years on that they axed BBC Introducing as a method after one time with Molly. It had sooo much potential. Hopefully Maes song charts well (it's apparently looking at top 10 despite the result). They should stick with TaP, regroup and assess what went wrong - the bonus being the entire delegation will be back together also. There is no way that a team as experienced as TaP saw that performance and couldn't see the flaws - especially as 90% of the fandom had been calling them out for weeks. If Mae does well in the charts then TaP may feel more inclined to stick around, i'm more worried they wont given what they said in previous interviews when Mae was first announced and the BBC will be back at it Pre-Sam. I think if we take part in JESC this year will be a sign of things, and what the song is there.

ESCConor

Part of the BBCs problem is they never committed to anything and was constantly changing their approach and half arsing it. I'm still baffled all these years on that they axed BBC Introducing as a method after one time with Molly. It had sooo much potential. Hopefully Maes song charts well (it's apparently looking at top 10 despite the result). They should stick with TaP, regroup and assess what went wrong - the bonus being the entire delegation will be back together also. There is no way that a team as experienced as TaP saw that performance and couldn't see the flaws - especially as 90% of the fandom had been calling them out for weeks. If Mae does well in the charts then TaP may feel more inclined to stick around, i'm more worried they wont given what they said in previous interviews when Mae was first announced and the BBC will be back at it Pre-Sam. I think if we take part in JESC this year will be a sign of things, and what the song is there.

I also found it interesting that the BBC didn't blame politics for the 25th place finish this year, a few years ago they would be saying that.

I do hope the BBC or TAP Music dont throw their toys out the pram and part ways, its shown to work, it just wasnt meant to be this year, you win some, you lose some.

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I also found it interesting that the BBC didn't blame politics for the 25th place finish this year, a few years ago they would be saying that.

I do hope the BBC or TAP Music dont throw their toys out the pram and part ways, its show to work, it just wasnt meant to be this year, you win some, you lose some.

Yeah interestingly the heat Mae has got is only really from right-wing nutjobs who watch GB News who say she got what she deserved because she hates her country. gurl. The coverage (that i've seen) seemed to list a whole group of reasons for the flop other than "it's politics, everyone hates us". Which feels like a massive change. I'm sure some people somewhere are saying that, but it feels different this time.

Chrisiam

Yeah interestingly the heat Mae has got is only really from right-wing nutjobs who watch GB News who say she got what she deserved because she hates her country. gurl. The coverage (that i've seen) seemed to list a whole group of reasons for the flop other than "it's politics, everyone hates us". Which feels like a massive change. I'm sure some people somewhere are saying that, but it feels different this time.
Yeah I have seen much the same. Less "They hate us" relative to past years. Sure it is still about but then it is for many countries that take part in the contest that do well for their country too. Maybe the drama surrounding Sweden and Finland has preoccupied people more. Maybe the writing was on the wall far earlier, unlike past years so the domestic audience kind of expected it. Or maybe people just like the song enough not to care about the Eurovision result. People aren't out for blood for TaP and the BBC so hopefully that softens the blow a bit. If we see them doing the Junor contest with the BBC it is safer to assume they'll be back.

I think Sam Ryder should do a Dima Bilan and come back next year.

I wouldnt be against it.
Sam has said that he'd love to do it again, and the reason why he didn't do it this year was because of how exhausting last year had been and he wanted time to recover. Given he was involved in a lot of press stuff this year too as well as building his career post-contest he likely is still shattered. So we aren't likely to see him coming back till like 2025 at the earliest.

crashworld

Veteran
Just putting this out there as a food for thought:

With regards to Mae potentially doing well with her entry on the UK charts, could it be because the contest is taken place in UK so there is more hype and exposure for her. Not saying that the song doesn't deserve to do well, in studio form, it's great.

ESCConor

With regards to Mae potentially doing well with her entry on the UK charts, could it be because the contest is taken place in UK so there is more hype and exposure for her. Not saying that the song doesn't deserve to do well, in studio form, it's great.

Rosa Linn got massive exposure from the contest and shes probably one of the most streamed artists currently, so I think Mae should take heart from that.

Rocket man

I just hope we have a strong and varied choice of music artists for the BBC and (I assume) TaP to decide who to represent the UK. One of the biggest problems for the UK at Eurovision is getting enough people to be interested in going to Eurovision. I hate that it has this stigma attached to it so it scares artists away. It puts the UK immediately at a massive disadvantage.

In the UK, there must be a ton of talented singers with original artistry and experience of performing that just hasn't had their break yet, it's just persuading these people that Eurovision can be a huge opportunity to show the world to express their art and music talent.

crashworld

Veteran
Rosa Linn got massive exposure from the contest and shes probably one of the most streamed artists currently, so I think Mae should take heart from that.

Rosa Linn actually got viral globally through Tiktok, not exactly through the ESC. So unless Mae manages to go viral with her song somehow, I doubt she is going to have that sort of massive exposure just by participating in ESC alone.

Chrisiam

Truth be told it doesn't matter where it is successful, so long as it is successful if we are looking at it from a pure money POV. Getting into the Top 40 in the UK even if for a week is still a big deal for a UK entry. One of the big reasons that established artists in the UK give for not taking part is the fear it will damage their career if they get a bad result. If Mae does relatively well out of this even despite a bad result it will debunk another reason to not do the contest.

The UK is moving on from the "We hate us" angle, that is fading off every year. If we can get rid of the "It'll ruin my career" reason too that makes it more appetising to potential artists and labels.

crashworld

Veteran
Truth be told it doesn't matter where it is successful, so long as it is successful if we are looking at it from a pure money POV. Getting into the Top 40 in the UK even if for a week is still a big deal for a UK entry. One of the big reasons that established artists in the UK give for not taking part is the fear it will damage their career if they get a bad result. If Mae does relatively well out of this even despite a bad result it will debunk another reason to not do the contest.

The UK is moving on from the "We hate us" angle, that is fading off every year. If we can get rid of the "It'll ruin my career" reason too that makes it more appetising to potential artists and labels.

I understand the notion behind this.

What I was trying to say in my earlier post is that there is high chance that she is doing well at the UK charts potentially because there is a home ground advantage since there were more UK viewers watching this year's contest than ever, as compared to if she is to compete overseas.

But then again, she only did a few pre-parties and that's it right? I recall Sam got a more elaborated promotion schedule where he went to a couple overseas locations to perform & promote his entry. Maybe that could have been a factor in for her not doing as well in the televote.

JenJen94

exactly, the UK can still be proud. I wrote a song remains one of the best British entries in the last years, it's just a shame it didn't work that well live.

Its such a catchy bop!

Exactly-Regroup, discuss what went wrong, learn from it! As for the interviews, did they not say they "one more year" or something along the lines of that? I genuinely hope they can be convinced, and understand that one bad result isn't the end of things-like you said, they're an experienced team and I hope they get that too. However its looking like a possible top 5 in the charts for Mae so fingers crossed!
I just hope we have a strong and varied choice of music artists for the BBC and (I assume) TaP to decide who to represent the UK. One of the biggest problems for the UK at Eurovision is getting enough people to be interested in going to Eurovision. I hate that it has this stigma attached to it so it scares artists away. It puts the UK immediately at a massive disadvantage.

In the UK, there must be a ton of talented singers with original artistry and experience of performing that just hasn't had their break yet, it's just persuading these people that Eurovision can be a huge opportunity to show the world to express their art and music talent.

This!! You're right, there's always going to be this stigma attached to it which totally sucks, however I'm genuinely hoping Sam took some of that away, and hopefully, Mae did too. And yeah, well we have one of the biggest music markets in the world, there's bound to be!

As for JESC I hope we do well with that again this year-I think if Freya wasn't sick we could have been hosting the double in all honesty this year-hopefully it's a great song this year again!

Chrisiam

I understand the notion behind this.

What I was trying to say in my earlier post is that there is high chance that she is doing well at the UK charts potentially because there is a home ground advantage since there were more UK viewers watching this year's contest than ever, as compared to if she is to compete overseas.

But then again, she only did a few pre-parties and that's it right? I recall Sam got a more elaborated promotion schedule where he went to a couple overseas locations to perform & promote his entry. Maybe that could have been a factor in for her not doing as well in the televote.

Ah apologies for misreading your post. But yeah I do feel that the lack of wider promotion for Mae might have had an effect on the end result. Not critically so, but it would have helped in my opinion. But then given the contest was happening in the UK there was less of a need to. Plus she might have been run ragged doing interviews and press stuff anyway and that may have worn her down a little.

Of course, now that they've had a year with a contestant getting a lot of promo and one getting less it will help them build their strategy going forwards more. So at least if TaP doesn't do it with the BBC they will at least understand the value of it better.

SpiritofKeiino

I Wrote A Song is having a bit of chart success despite the bad result. Which is nice to see as maybe it'll show other artists that Eurovision is worth doing.
I've seen some negative reaction in media to Mae's result (mainly the very right wing GB News Channel) but it does feel like it's a bit less negative than pre 2022, maybe because UK was hosting or because Sam Ryder's success is still fresh in peoples minds.

Top Bottom