13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rasmuslights

Veteran
yeah, Tom Grennan and Mabel are both possible and honestly good options. More likely than London Grammar anyway.

Years and years would be great as well!

I'm sure the UK will be able to find someone good next year... I mean the UK's possibilities are almost endless.

Rocket man

I hope the BBC are still interested in winning the contest next year, even though that would mean if the UK did win, the BBC would have to spend money to host two years in a row.

Come on BBC, you know you want to.

ESCConor

I hope the BBC are still interested in winning the contest next year, even though that would mean if the UK did win, the BBC would have to spend money to host two years in a row.

Come on BBC, you know you want to.

My sense from our delegation is that they seem very serious about following up Sam's success and using the Eurovision brand as a platform for upcoming artists.

There are many out there, like Mabel or Tom Grennan who would suit this platform, I would go as far as Sam Fender.

If we take the same approach like this year, like doing a promotional tour across europe, performing the song on it, appearing on morning and evening tv shows and doing pre-parties then I have no doubt we will continue to be successful.

Its got to be the complete package from promotion, to the staging on the night, get that right and there will be more successful results.

Last edited:

Sean

Admin
Staff member
That’s why festivals are great as you might not have heard of an artist before but you might randomly watch their set and they become someone you follow. A lot of them can sing, engage an audience and wouldn’t need the BBC to write them a song (eurgh). One of my favourites this year has been Self-Esteem.

Lee Smithurst from the BBC Eurovision team went to see Hyyts in concert last month. They said they were almost chosen last year but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence haha.
Self Esteem would be my choice for 2023 I think. She's still so underrated but has a recognisable vision, some recognition in the UK and the potential to go stratospheric

A-lister

Veteran
I can´t at all the lies being spread on this page alone.
:lol: ok game is on ;)
Lie #1

BBC just declined Years & Years/Olly to represent the UK this year because they believed in Sam. Years & Years is clearly still successful and not "past their prime".
Also, we had acts like Hurts, Ed Sheeran, Emelie Sandé and more talking positive about the contest as well as stating their interest or wish to represent Eurovision.
These are all taken from the "rumor mill", I have yet to see any official source actually confirming any of these. I mean Ed Sheeran taking part in Eurovision? Who are we fooling here? The rest are all past their prime so sure... but still doubt it.
Lie #2

Steps just got another #1 album this week - I wouldn´t call them "past their prime" - even though I personally heavily dislike their music.
Ok, I will admit that calling Steps "past their prime" is maybe a bit misleading, they clearly invested big to become a popular local novelty act and I applaud them for making it work for them, still though it's not an act that I would say have "cred", but they could work in Eurovision. Their domestic successes however means little outside of the UK and I think they last had a hit outside of the UK/Ireland region like in the 90's or early 00's (and it was pretty much covers back then anyways)...
Lie #3

Cheryl is everything! - Make Newcastle host Eurovision and Cheryl reprsent the UK!
She´s an excellent performer and got 5 #1 singles in the UK as a solo artist (10 if you include collabs and Girls Aloud singles). Her albums have been quite hit or miss but she can clearly come up with another "Call My Name" or "Fight For This Love" which would slay in Eurovision.
I agree she got some good material (although her albums like you say are "hit or miss"), but she is clearly past her prime (not that she as a solo act or Girls Aloud were really a thing outside UK/Ireland to begin with tbh, but ok if we talk about just local credibility). The juries might slaughter her for bad live vocals though but I agree she is a pretty good performer.

Mainshow

Veteran
ese are all taken from the "r

I agree with almost everything you said - I just wanted make my post more interesting instead of just praising Cheryl :D

BUT... it´s not only "rumor mill" when it comes to the acts:

HURTS themselves confirmed that they were interested in representing the UK:
“We’d said in interviews like three years ago that we were interested,” Theo Hutchcraft, one-half of the group, told NME. “We thought it would be quite interesting. We had some ideas for it but then they went with Engelbert Humperdinck.”
The singer confirmed that they got neglected because the BBC preferred Engelbert Humperdinck.
How effing stupid of them (I love "Love Will Set You Free", though).

I also read an interview a few years later that Theo still hasn´t given up on their "Eurovision dream".

ED SHEERAN said that he´d consider to do Eurovision after one condition: “England has to be loved by Europe again”
"England" - aka the United Kingdom won the jury voting and ended up being #2 - Thus, there´s nothing standing in his way, anymore - Europe "loves the UK again" :D

I also remember James Blunt very well who said that BBC should give him a call - he was fed up with the bad results.
It seems that that offer was just about him writing an entry but still... he would love to be part of Eurovision somehow.

YEARS & YEARS - we don´t have anything "official" but it was reported by the British press that he was snubbed in favor of Sam Ryder: https://www.escunited.com/bbc-and-tap-reportedly-rejected-years-years-in-favour-of-sam-ryder/

I haven´t found anything concerning Emeli Sandé apart from her backing up Aberdeen´s bid to host Eurovision and her coming out recently (didn´t know that - good for her).

Anyway, my point remains the same: Some well-established and popular acts are still interested in being linked to Eurovision - even BEFORE Sam´s amazing runner-up entry this year.

I still can´t get over the fact that HURTS got robbed - they would have finished Top 5 minimum back in 2012....

HarryUK

Years & Years would be fabulous!!! Although Olly himself is super booked and busy lately

TomDam

First post on here - so hey everyone! My two pence is that having a relative 'unknown' who then has a platform to build upon seems a sensible path to continue down for now. I think one successful year at the contest might be a little premature for bigger artists to start willingly putting themselves forward.

I love the idea of using BBC Introducing - it's such a great pool to choose from. What the UK got so right this year was having a song that felt authentic to the artist - but also more 'British'. Groups like Steps, whilst clearly still popular, feels like a step backwards as their music hasn't really moved with the times and plays on element of nostalgia. Eurovision currently feels too fresh for that 00s pop and sync dance moves

HarryUK

First post on here - so hey everyone! My two pence is that having a relative 'unknown' who then has a platform to build upon seems a sensible path to continue down for now. I think one successful year at the contest might be a little premature for bigger artists to start willingly putting themselves forward.

I love the idea of using BBC Introducing - it's such a great pool to choose from. What the UK got so right this year was having a song that felt authentic to the artist - but also more 'British'. Groups like Steps, whilst clearly still popular, feels like a step backwards as their music hasn't really moved with the times and plays on element of nostalgia. Eurovision currently feels too fresh for that 00s pop and sync dance moves
Steps are still a chart success in the UK today - the Platinum Megamix is a guilty pleasure!

BBC Introducing has been tried before and it just didn't work. I'd like TaP to carry on with their process tbh.

Chrisiam

BBC Introducing was only done the once with Molly. And the general vibe I got at the time was that Introducing seemed rather resentful of the fact they were doing it. And I don't think we'll be seeing them involved in the contest any time soon. At least not until a time comes along when a credible, cool, and current act comes along who becomes a big name and then they'll make out how they were always supportive of the contest.

Sticking with TaP feels the right choice. I feel that the UK changes its internal selection methods too much and never gives them enough time to really mature/work out any issues and refine the processes. Sticking with them gives the UK a better chance in getting results like this year more frequently.

cripesdude

Top Bottom