2 1.0%

13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket man

I love Ellie Goulding's music but her latest stuff from her "Higher Than Heaven" album isn't doing it for me.

Ellie Goulding should go back to something like this

MopManMoss

Veteran
The UK has 67 million people why do we constantly have to speculate about big names, most of the eurovision countries manage to find random nobodys with fantastic songs all the time

ChiversLookDivine

I like that Ellie song - but she's too big to do Eurovision, and her live vocals aren't all that good tbh.

I trust TaP because they seem to focus on vocals first and foremost, not reputation.

The UK has 67 million people why do we constantly have to speculate about big names, most of the eurovision countries manage to find random nobodys with fantastic songs all the time

I mean most Eurovision countries actually send someone big in their music industry, it's just that the UK's music industry is huge. We don't have to send a nobody with little-to-no live experience, we don't have to send someone ultra-famous who's got 20 million Spotify followers, but there's a huge middle-ground of unsigned talent and talented singers with smaller platforms on indie labels who we should send - but the focus should always be vocals, performance ability, song quality.

Sam Ryder was such a great choice over Olly Alexander, he already had years of live performing experience from his time in rock and metal bands, he had a big platform without being 'famous', he had a creative vision for his music video and staging. TaP won't forget these were the key ingredients in a hurry.

ESC_Peggy

I dunno. It’s obvious newly signed artists are the future of the music industry and they would benefit a lot more from it. Sam‘s EP did well but Eurovision made him a breakthrough artist and Space Man a commercial success which is a bigger deal for him than someone with multiple chart hits already.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran

Actually some countries sent some of their biggest local artists/acts, so it's not like all countries sent "nobodies", but since they're only big domestically (or regionally in some occasions) it's obviously not equivalent to big UK names that are known worldwide, but also unfair to compare them with complete new names with none to little track-record in the business. Not that all attempts of sending big local names helped in the contest (again most of these are still just locally known so the average Eurovision viewer wouldn't know anyways), but it still shows some effort.

As for Ellie she would be a great choice with the right entry, she is pretty good live with distinct vocals and has a level of international name recognition. The problem is her material has fallen rapidly over the years, which is unfortunate because her first two albums will still remain Pop gold and some of her singles after that too. Still though, wouldn't mind.

Another name I mentioned previously was Sugababes, their Lost Tapes release proved that the original lineup still has alot to offer, and it would be great to hear some completely new stuff from them, but not sure if Eurovision is cred enough for them to use as a next stage in their comeback, but maybe. I can see the juries being pretty supportive, and with the right song also the public, plus they still have some name recognition (proven by the fact that they managed to sell out shows once they have been coming back with their original name + lineup).

Last edited:

ESC_Peggy

Actually some countries sent some of their biggest local artists/acts, so it's not like all countries sent "nobodies", but since they're only big domestically (or regionally in some occasions) it's obviously not equivalent to big UK names that are known worldwide, but also unfair to compare them with complete new names with none to little track-record in the business. Not that all attempts of sending big local names helped in the contest (again most of these are still just locally known so the average Eurovision viewer wouldn't know anyways), but it still shows some effort.

As for Ellie she would be a great choice with the right entry, she is pretty good live with distinct vocals and has a level of international name recognition. The problem is her material has fallen rapidly over the years, which is unfortunate because her first two albums will still remain Pop gold and some of her singles after that too. Still though, wouldn't mind.

Another name I mentioned previously was Sugababes, their Lost Tapes release proved that the original lineup still has alot to offer, and it would be great to hear some completely new stuff from them, but not sure if Eurovision is cred enough for them to use as a next stage in their comeback, but maybe. I can see the juries being pretty supportive, and with the right song also the public, plus they still have some name recognition (proven by the fact that they managed to sell out shows once they have been coming back with their original name + lineup).
“but not sure if Eurovision is cred enough for them to use as a next stage in their comeback”

…And that’s exactly the attitude that the UK doesn’t need or want. They are trying to promote it as a modern relevant contest with potential to launch a long-term music career. It’s not reserved for legacy artists looking for a platform for their comeback because their career has gone downhill.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
She wouldn't be the first. :lol: I remember Jessie J doing the same and fanning the flames some years back when she was rumoured.

This is just cements it even more that it is not her though. The BBC don't like the 'leaks', that and that TaP have said they haven't made their pick yet.

A-lister

Veteran
“but not sure if Eurovision is cred enough for them to use as a next stage in their comeback”

…And that’s exactly the attitude that the UK doesn’t need or want. They are trying to promote it as a modern relevant contest with potential to launch a long-term music career. It’s not reserved for legacy artists looking for a platform for their comeback because their career has gone downhill.

In their defense, it's not like they ever said anything about Eurovision (good or bad) so that's just speculative on my part. They might have never even thought about it in the first place or been considered by the BBC anyways. Also, not seeing cred in entering Eurovision doesn't necessarily mean that someone dislikes the contest, it's just a sad fact in some countries that acts that do enter are looked down on by the industry and it could harm someone's career more than helping it, and I think that "attitude" has been pushed by the BBC themselves in their mishandling of Eurovision for years/decades. They themselves treated the contest as a joke, so how can they expect credible names wanting to enter then? xshrug

I know that was brought up before, but I wouldn't call them a "legacy act", it would put them together with novelty acts like Steps, and whether one likes Sugababes or not, they are totally competent singers and their latest release of unreleased materials proves that they are a force to be reckon with material-wise as well. The fact that they disappeared for some years has more to do with label politics, juridical issues in getting their name back and the whole lineup mess. Take a listen to The Lost Tapes , it's a pretty solid Pop album and makes their disappearance even weirder like what did the label not see in this? It's some of the strongest material the band (in any lineup) ever recorded.

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
...it would put them together with novelty acts like Steps...
I feel attacked xfaint

But yeah, it isn't an act that's already famous, or an act that had previous fame, or even a reformed act that are looking to have a second stab at glory. I hope we get someone as charismatic, charming and genuinely likeable like Sam - but also someone that can truly bring a song and stage to life. The home crowd will be behind them no matter what, but having the electricity of seeing a star rising into the heavens like Sam on the stage in Liverpool would be so very special xlove

A-lister

Veteran
I feel attacked xfaint

:lol: Steps can be fun, but let's be real it's more a novelty act and always was and that's fine, I think Sugababes (especially the Origibabes and the 2.0) play in a complete different ball game and that's fine too, depends on one's mood but they are for sure a more "serious" act in terms of musicality and material.

But yeah, it isn't an act that's already famous, or an act that had previous fame, or even a reformed act that are looking to have a second stab at glory. I hope we get someone as charismatic, charming and genuinely likeable like Sam - but also someone that can truly bring a song and stage to life. The home crowd will be behind them no matter what, but having the electricity of seeing a star rising into the heavens like Sam on the stage in Liverpool would be so very special xlove

I do hope for a female act, not a must of course but it's been a while. The song is the most important for me, Space Man was all right, especially coming from UK in Eurovision context, maybe not a personal fav of mine but I do get why it did well and I am happy that for a change a British Eurovision act actually got success domestically (and not in past tense only).

HarryUK

ESC_Peggy

In their defense, it's not like they ever said anything about Eurovision (good or bad) so that's just speculative on my part. They might have never even thought about it in the first place or been considered by the BBC anyways. Also, not seeing cred in entering Eurovision doesn't necessarily mean that someone dislikes the contest, it's just a sad fact in some countries that acts that do enter are looked down on by the industry and it could harm someone's career more than helping it, and I think that "attitude" has been pushed by the BBC themselves in their mishandling of Eurovision for years/decades. They themselves treated the contest as a joke, so how can they expect credible names wanting to enter then? xshrug

I know that was brought up before, but I wouldn't call them a "legacy act", it would put them together with novelty acts like Steps, and whether one likes Sugababes or not, they are totally competent singers and their latest release of unreleased materials proves that they are a force to be reckon with material-wise as well. The fact that they disappeared for some years has more to do with label politics, juridical issues in getting their name back and the whole lineup mess. Take a listen to The Lost Tapes , it's a pretty solid Pop album and makes their disappearance even weirder like what did the label not see in this? It's some of the strongest material the band (in any lineup) ever recorded.

I respect your opinion but I will never support the thought of artists like Steps, Sugababes and Ellie Goulding doing Eurovision. It's hard enough to breakthrough the industry as it is without handing this fantastic platform over to someone who quite frankly has had their career already.

There is so much fresh talent in the UK and IMO this is a huge opportunity for them. The other day Warner Music (one of the biggest record labels in the world) said Sam doing Eurovision was one of their best decisions in 2022 and all record labels should be taking note of his success. I'm sure they would be happy to repeat it with another one of their emerging artists if others are worried about it harming careers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom