2 1.0%

13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisiam

Well, might as well get it out of the way.

Oh, golly gee, I wonder if Foxes will be doing it this year?

HarryUK

I’d love a female representative, we haven’t had one since 2018. Someone like Claudia Valentina or Mabel would be amazing.

ChiversLookDivine

Okay, I figure now might be a good time to start mentioning some artists I want to see outside of the Foxes, Jesy Nelson, London Grammar, Hurts, HYTTS, Claudia Valentina, Charli XCX crew we get mentioned each year. This is all assuming that TaP stick around, and that Sam Ryder returns with a good result of Top 15 or higher and justifies TaP's strategy. Hopefully he can get higher than that, have a hit around Europe, and TaP can attract a higher level of artist like an MNEK or someone of that level who's rejected the idea of doing Eurovision in the past... but this list is assuming a respectable position.

Nova Twins - about as out-there an entry we'd have sent since Love City Groove, they've got a similar level of fame to Sam Ryder and are getting some radio play, they would appeal to televoters, would be our first female act since SuRie and our first group since Electro Velvet... might be too rich for the BBC's blood, assuming they still have a say, but I wouldn't be surprised if TaP are just given the reins entirely after this year (even before the result TaP have done a 10000% better job than the BBC).

Chloe Adams - everybody will keep demanding Claudia Valentina but I think Chloe Adams would be a better pick. TaP artist, assuming TaP are still around. Would probably be labelled as the Amanda Tenfjord of 2023 if she was entered. Might be too famous by the time 2023 rolls around.

Ten Tonnes - I recommend this guy every year. I discovered him around the same time the likes of George Ezra and James Bay emerged, and whilst those two shot to fame this guy sadly didn't. Could produce a better 3-minute pop song than Sam Ryder if we want to carry on that projection.

Sage Todz - This is more a dream entry if we win. Would introduce rap/grime/drill to Eurovision AND be that Celtic language entry everyone seems to want following Breton's debut in Eurovision. Might be a bit much to expect Eurofans to vote for this, but I think it would be an interesting experiment, and it would beat sending another ballad.

Rina Sawayama - please, she'd be awesome.

Florence & The Machine - Around the time Space Man was announced as our entry, F&TM dropped 'My Love' with a 3 minute edit, and I stopped and thought how good they'd be as a Eurovision act. I never seem them mentioned as often as Foxes or Hurts or Jessie J or whoever and I think they'd be a fit.

Bill Bailey - no.

RAT BOY - Much better.

Georgia - every single time I see a Purple Disco Machine/Sophie & The Giants collab chart across Europe I think Georgia would be an awesome Eurovision entry. Bonus points for being Neil Barnes's daughter.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Can we please just have a group next year, the BBC know we don't have to send soloists right? Our last duo was 2016 and our last group 2011...

HarryUK

Can we please just have a group next year, the BBC know we don't have to send soloists right? Our last duo was 2016 and our last group 2011...
Well according to Blu Hydrangea we were meant to get the Frock Destroyers last year because James supposedly ‘pulled out’ for a few months... we’d probably do quite well with them, at least on the televote

Ianp16

Maybe someone who is already established will finally feel brave enough to step up to the competition next year? If the UK host the pressure will be on but I have a feeling we might try TOO hard? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

SAYAY

Maybe someone who is already established will finally feel brave enough to step up to the competition next year? If the UK host the pressure will be on but I have a feeling we might try TOO hard? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am easy to please as long as there is pyro, tea and Graham Norton involved :ROFLMAO:

Chrisiam

To be fair 'trying' in general is a novel idea with how the UK approaches the contest. I feel that for a start TaP and the BBC need to work together again as a feel that it is a partnership that might well have legs. Secondly I feel that whoever the UK sends next needs to be someone who can perform. Sure, finding someone as charismatic as Sam will be a tall ask. But whoever they do select needs to be someone who can hold an audience regardless of if they will be singing a ballad or a up tempo pop song. That is something that we have lacked for a very long time.

ChiversLookDivine

Personally I'd quite like BBC/TaP to focus on finding a song just as much as a performer. I don't know if you will find anyone as good/likeable/charismatic as Sam, but we can find something on the level of a Hold Me Closer or Brividi.

Interesting article from the Guardian the other day said that Sam was picked over a number of established names:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/13/sam-ryder-interview-eurovision-song-contest-uk-glory

I saw an article today suggesting that Olly Alexander (Years & Years) was in the frame and put himself forward for 2022 but TaP rejected him. If we can attract people like him before, I hope the scope is even higher after Sam.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10817277/BBC-accused-snubbing-Olly-Alexander-UKs-Eurovision-act.html

I had some suggestions higher up the page that I posted a few weeks ago back when I figured Sam was in contention for Top 15 (lol) - I do like the sound of a group or a duo, but I don't want it to be a group for the sake of it. Remember how we all reacted when we heard we were getting another man to sing. Turns out it's not just being a man, woman or group, it's what you bring. It's the voice, it's the charisma, it's the song. Hopefully TaP stick around and stick to this ethos.

Fluke

Calling it now, the UK will be hosting the 2023 contest.

HarryUK

I want TaP music involved again and I want them involved FOREVER
I cannot thank them enough for this year

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Years & Years would be one of the perfect choices to take the next step up in 2023 and look to try and at least match Sam's result in Turin. I think the BBC will still stick to TaP and go down a similar route, because why not? It worked and then some this weekend!

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Also I'm calling it as being either the UK or Poland as the host next year, so some exciting months potentially ahead!

theditz83

Veteran
I hope that the majority of UK Eurofans will support the suggestion of getting TaP involved in the artist selection again next year - it worked a treat this year.

Also, Sam's natural charisma and existing social media fanbase I believe really helped with the promo. And that's the other thing - I hope that the BBC doesn't underplay the importance of the pre-contest promo tour that Sam did around countries. Sure, those countries didn't necessarily always give us the most points in the end, but it just showed the whole of Europe that we actually gave a stuff about this contest and our artist was showing an interest in them all.

I'm not going to start making wild predictions or wishes for artists for next year, but I trust finally that if the same team that was involved in Sam's selection and the details around the song/staging/promotion are involved next year, we'll be in good hands.

God, why am I still getting emotional typing this?? I'm getting too old for this malarkey xfaint

Top Bottom