2 1.0%

13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisiam

Yeah, she frankly cannot hold anything back tonight. I don't doubt that the crowd will be behind her every step of the way, but that doesn't mean a good result. The crowd were really behind James Newman and we all know what happened there.

ESCConor

Yeah, she frankly cannot hold anything back tonight. I don't doubt that the crowd will be behind her every step of the way, but that doesn't mean a good result. The crowd were really behind James Newman and we all know what happened there.
I just hope that TAP Music dont pull the plug despite the result.

I can already hear the moaning of some of the right leaning press here in the UK if we do badly.

I just hope that TAP and the BBC dont opt to go their separate ways, I just hope there are no knee-jerk reactions like them both going their separate ways.

GermanBango

Sounds like a last place for me and that's coming from someone who actually has the song in his top 12.

Chrisiam

To be fair, even if the UK came second again this year certain sections of the press would still scream and shout about it. They already are and have been ever since they decided that Muller "hates Britain".

ESCConor

To be fair, even if the UK came second again this year certain sections of the press would still scream and shout about it. They already are and have been ever since they decided that Muller "hates Britain".

I dont think a lot are taking notice tbh, they still think its the 1970s, when in reality its different.

Eurovision tbh is getting a lot younger and more diverse than it has been, so I doubt many will care what they think.

ESCConor

Sounds like a last place for me and that's coming from someone who actually has the song in his top 12.

Some people who were in the arena last night said her vocals were far better, so I really dont know who to believe, maybe she was holding off until then.

I just hope TAP Music dont go awol and withdraw from selecting the artist and song next year.

Ali_

I just watched the jury show link and it's so frustrating because the main issue is that there isn't enough power in the chorus - surely that could have been easily fixed using the backing vocalist to better effect (Poland managed it!). Ugh. The song, staging and performance (and majority of her vocals) are better than James Newman so I don't see it getting 0. It is definitely more of a televote song so she better pull it out tonight and fingers crossed the crowd is as loud as last night as that helped.
Also, don't know why they chose the first chorus for the recap as that's one of the weakest parts. Ah well we'll see.

Looren

Veteran
Pretty worried about her final performance, I thought the semi one was not very good

But anyway I really hope she'll have fun and enjoy her experience, best of luck UK xheart

crashworld

Veteran
I have watched the jury perfomance, how she could sound worse than Poland is such an achievement. She is shaky throughout the entire performance and breathless towards the end. She didn't get the proper backing vocal support she needs. It's such a shame, I love the staging and the energy she is giving but the vocals is a no-go.

To me, it's not a big deal in terms of the lackluster vocals, I can live with that. But I am not so sure how the juries are going to respond to that. But then again, if Finland gets a pass for that non-existent vocals (it's basically rap-talk singing), I hope UK (& Poland) will too.

Last edited:

Rocket man

The reaction from Mae Muller's record company and team will be interesting if she gets a flop result tonight. They're hoping for top 5, or top 10 at least.

Now I actually don't think it matters if the UK is at the bottom tonight, coming 2nd last year still seems fresh in the memory so I don't think the UK will go back to how it was before. The BBC need to pick a strong singer in future ffs, obviously it becomes a massive disadvantage when the chosen artist can't sing properly live in a music competition.

Bmbriga

The reaction from Mae Muller's record company and team will be interesting if she gets a flop result tonight. They're hoping for top 5, or top 10 at least.
Why do you think that? Did they say so or just a feeling?
Because there's no way in million years that's going to happen... 😬

HarryUK

I just don't understand why we're not using backing vocals on a backing track.....

Rocket man

Bmbriga

I read an article interviewing them a couple of weeks ago. And I agree, it's never going to happen. I knew she was a crap singer the moment she was picked.

EDIT: Found it. https://www.musicweek.com/interview...er-mae-muller-takes-on-eurovision-2023/087587
I didn't know anything about her, but she didn't seem really bad from a video or two I saw, so I rooted for her to improve until Barcelona or Israel. Gave up after that.
And to me there doesn't really seem to be any reason to struggle with that song that much.
It's a huge mess.
It makes James Newman sounding like an angel.

Rocket man

I didn't know anything about her, but she didn't seem really bad from a video or two I saw, so I rooted for her to improve until Barcelona or Israel. Gave up after that.
And to me there doesn't really seem to be any reason to struggle with that song that much.
It's a huge mess.
I can see some positives, I think this is one of the best Eurovision staging by the UK ever, I just compare it to 2019 and 2021 and this year is a lot better. And she has personality and sass in the performance too, also the song has actually charted in the UK music charts and has longevity which hasn't happened much in the last decade.

If only she was a decent singer too.

Chrisiam

It's a huge mess.
Come on now, she isn't as poor as Newman was as a vocalist, as shaky as she has been she hasn't been that bad.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Comparing to James Newman is kinda a reach tbh. She carries far more charisma, stage presence and sass compared to him for start. James looked like a drunk guy doing karaoke down his local pub.

Top Bottom