2 1.0%

13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ESC_Peggy

For what it is worth this song is now trending #1 on the UK's Youtube. Which Spaceman failed to do. Though granted the last one to do that was Embers so make of that what you will.
However Space Man did reach #1 on the iTunes soon after it was announced. This hasn't, yet.

This year there the expectation on the UK was a lot higher so people are eager to listen/watch the entry.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Mainshow

Veteran
However Space Man did reach #1 on the iTunes soon after it was announced. This hasn't, yet.

This year there the expectation on the UK was a lot higher so people are eager to listen/watch the entry.

Yeah, I don't expect people to pay money for it (like casting votes or purchasing it on iTunes). It's quite a catchy song, though.
Maybe it will become after Snap?
Being non-competitive doest mean it can't be successful in the end.

ESC_Peggy

Yeah, I don't expect people to pay money for it (like casting votes or purchasing it on iTunes). It's quite a catchy song, though.
Maybe it will become after Snap?
Being non-competitive doest mean it can't be successful in the end.
That's right but the results in the contest should be consistent in order to sustain the UK reputation and public morale which significantly increased after Sam Ryder..

Mainshow

Veteran
That's right but the results in the contest should be consistent in order to sustain the UK reputation and public morale which significantly increased after Sam Ryder.
I fully agree with you.

A pity the BBC didn't opt for a more competitive and hard-hitting choice...they could have gone totally artsy-fartsy (which could be interesting enough to finish lower Top 10 without winning the contret if BBC were afraid of hosting the event next year as well).

ESC_Peggy

I fully agree with you.

A pity the BBC didn't opt for a more competitive and hard-hitting choice...they could have gone totally artsy-fartsy (which could be interesting enough to finish lower Top 10 without winning the contret if BBC were afraid of hosting the event next year as well).
Many won't notice or care if the song is successful after the contest if it flops on the night. The song isn’t terrible, but I don't think it would attract the kind of attention it’s getting were it not our Eurovision entry.

Space Man became the 3rd best selling single in the UK in 2022. Sam went from being completely unknown to being embraced by people of all ages who called him the saviour of the UK. He gained an entirely new fanbase and became mainstream. Mae won't do as well as Sam but she could be snubbed by the public if she flops altogether.

theditz83

Veteran
Hopefully when the hysteria has died down from a mental rumour mill season for the UK entry, people will take a step back, reflect, and realise that we have a strong female bop here that actually can strongly compete against better-known singers such as Noa Kirel.

A winner? Highly doubtful, but definitely a stronger entry than BBC used to churn out with no thought and hopefully Mae proves to be charismatic and engaging like Sam in the pre-contest promotion period to really give her a good profile and start to build a following across Europe as a whole xpray

Schlagerman1

@the bold part: Urmm, like no? The Spice Goddesses would never release such average song back in the day.
This is more Sophie Ellis-Bextor meets Anne-Marie.
I think the melody clearly has a feel to 90s or early 00s pop, Spice Girls is one example, but Sophie Ellis-Bextor is an another good example of that, who I loved when I was kid too. The SG feel is that some small parts in the melody makes me remind of "Spice Up Your Life". Far from copying anything, but it is a nice little nod to british pop-history.

Also, I still in with the statement that this is for me one of the strongest british songs in quite some time. I see though that many find it "meh", and I can see why, it isn't as in your face as what we have on the line-ups in the semis. It is not the most original piece either, it is the popmusic we hear on the radio every day from Dua Lipa, Ava Max and so on. But it is a very well made song, an earworm that deserves praise. Not everything in ESC has to be Cha Cha Cha or Poe Poe Poe (which I love too I must say), but sometimes it can be more calm and serious that those songs. And it does seem that UK doesn't want to win, cause of course this isn't a song that would win ESC. But I still love it, can't help it and noone can change it. xqueenbitch

HarryUK

Veteran
My mum's obsession with our entry this year has reached new heights. She's now badgering me about it rather than me badgering her :ROFLMAO:

FilipFromSweden

Same here.
I hope we both feel well when Melodifestivalen's final tar place.
Oh girl, usually when I’m sick I just wait out the time but this week I’ve been pumping myself full of vegetable juices and vitamins. I didn’t get Liverpool tickets so in no way am I missing Melfest

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Ok, now i'm home I can adequately respond to the song. I actually really like our entry, It hits tbh. I wasn't a massive a fan of Space Man and felt kinda let down by it on release. This is the first time since Blue i've actually enjoyed our entry and wanted to go back for more listens - it almost feels scandalous and very sinful that this is actually turning out to be one of my favourites this year. I think it's so super catchy, such a real earworm. The first listen of it on the radio this morning and it was circling around my head all day. I do think i'd have prefer maybe a little more oomph on the chorus, especially at the end but that's just me being picky. It's such a quality bop and I love the little bits of latin influences that come up time to time, as well the spoken bit. I'd go as far as to say it leaves Noa's disjointed offering lacking and less impressive. I think this is honestly better. Anyone who says this is old BBC back need to chill a bit because gurl this far faaar above the calibre of Storm, Embers, You're Not Alone and so on.

Idk how this will do at Eurovision, most expected middling to low result for Space Man until the staging & performance from Sam totally carried it. It's gonna have to be a killer performance and stage I think, as it could run the very risk of falling completely flat on its face. I'm skeptical of whether Mae will be able to do that (an area I think Noa from Israel will actually excel in), but lets see some live performances and get an idea first before judging. I'm gonna give a :10: Crazy stuff, I feel uneasy doing that to my own countries entry.

Also it's #1 on YT trending in the UK. xleft

I bims

Veteran
Let's just wait for the live performance, Mae is a competent performer. Slomo was a much weaker song but the performance made it competitive. Fuego was on no ones radar before the rehearsals. Space Man was on its own also a weak song and could've flopped easily without the right staging and without Sam's charisma. But they made it work. There's clearly a good budget, the video is great. So let's just wait.

"I Wrote A Song" on its own is already stronger and catchier. The only song that's similar is the mess that Israel has given us with those really cringy power of the unicorn lyrics.

Top Bottom