Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Chrisiam

Because they aren't the same team. Despite having a presenter who is largely a fan of the contest on the station Radio 1 is largely uninterested in Eurovision at the best of times. The Record Of The Week stuff is done by executives and producers at Radio 1 and not the presenters despite what they might say on air. And given that even at the best of times the station is largely uninterested in the contest at all at the best of times and at worst is flippant towards it it's a stretch to think they'd make the UK's entry or act Record Of The Week at all. Let alone doing it a week in advance.

Romeo

What are the differences between BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 2?? :unsure:
Radio 1 is modern music. Radio 2 is the home of TOGs (Terry’s old Geezers) more for the older generation. But to be fair the bbc don’t understand the difference between a 17 year old and a 97year old. That’s why the U.K. is doomed for eternal last place in Eurovision

Romeo

So are we working on the assumption that the announcement will be on Friday? I would actually prefer tomorrow (Thursday) I’m off work all morning so please pass on the message to the bbc. I’d like a few hours to roll my eyes and rant continually about the fact the bbc are sending scooch ft. Daz Sampson with the song “ooh eeh europpump tingle tangle wingle wangle”.

Chrisiam

Nah, I still think it is next week. We'll get the announcement of the announcement at the weekend. Then next Wednesday it will be leaked on a Czech radio station and then on Thursday morning, the official reveal will be made. And then we'll have a higher quality version that will allow us to fully assess the damage. Then the seven stages of grief begin.

Mrm

Veteran
I haven't been active these days... Do we know tha date for the UK?

Chrisiam

The closest to an announcement date I could find was in an article online saying it would be the 10th. Which at this point seem more likely.

https://escxtra.com/2022/01/25/tap-music-update-on-the-uk-entry-selection/

Oh and incidentally looking online a random website ran with the London Grammer 'announcement' and made an article on it, only for it to now have mysteriously vanished offline shortly after. Mostly because they soon realised the source was bogus but, I dunno, maybe the BBC told them to shut their mouth or something, who knows?!

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

ChiversLookDivine

People on .net are saying BBC radio 1 and 2 played a 3 minute version of Spaceman by Sam Ryder earlier today.

Thought I'd go back and listen to what played on Scott Mills's show yesterday:

-big introduction for Sam, bigged up his TikTok and socials, spelt his name out as 'Ryder with a y'

-played a clip of some of his TikTok covers

-played a voice clip he'd sent in (apparently he's sent in a new clip each day) which showed off his personality a bit

-radio version of Space Man was 2:50, down from 3:40

-chorus kicked in at 0:20, compared to around 0:50 in on the long version. Instead of 2 verses at the start we get a condensed verse.

-Scott closed out the segment by reading out excited messages from listeners saying "OHHHH the long hair beard guy from TikTok"

If Sam Ryder is indeed our entrant, I do like the stealth drop of reminding people who he is first and showing off the song before it gets Eurovision attached to it. I am liking Space Man more and more with each listen, I just wish it was a song that showed off his incredibly strong vocals more. Space Man kinda feels like Arcade rewritten by an AI.

mauve

Veteran
Should the entrant really be Sam Ryder with "Space man", it really depends on the performance because the song is rather not so impressive imo.

Ali_

As someone else said Sam isn't with Tap so I don't see how it can possibly be him.

ChiversLookDivine

As someone else said Sam isn't with Tap so I don't see how it can possibly be him.

Someone on Reddit pointed out the producer is with TaP, which links back to TaP's original statement about looking for a performer and supporting them.

KOZ was the producer on Physical and Levitating for Dua Lipa, among other credits.

theditz83

Veteran
Yeah it's not necessarily a direct link from Tap to the artist in terms of representation. BBC has been quite clever to have a partnership agreement line this as it has meant that we are all still a little unsure what is going on :lol:

One day closer - need to stop getting hyped ;)

jeriswani

It’s definitely Sam Ryder. The song is ok. Surprised the bookies have it so high though. My problem is they are using the same strategy bmg did.

Synergise

It’s definitely Sam Ryder. The song is ok. Surprised the bookies have it so high though. My problem is they are using the same strategy bmg did.
Sam can actually sing. James was pretty awful live, unfortunately. Even if I don't think Super Man is the best choice for Eurovision, if it's sung properly and actually has staging, then we really can't compare it to Embers.

Chrisiam

I don't understand the logic of TaP selecting an artist that isn't on their books. All that is doing is generating money for someone else. And it wouldn't be much of an advertisement for their label if they are giving the nod to someone from a different one. And I don't get the logic of the whole 'stealth drop' idea. The BBC loves to huff its own farts when it comes to their selections and loves to go the whole nine yards with the announcements of the announcements of the announcements.

To just randomly reveal it on a Thursday afternoon with no build or hype going into it is just an absurd idea. And whilst it is fun to rag on the BBC for bungling their acts all the time they aren't that stupid. Beyond anything else, the executives behind the scenes want the ego boost of seeing people getting giddy about the act they (helped to) select. They want to see it trending on Twitter and Youtube. Throwing it out like this feels like just have no confidence in the act at all if they don't even do the most basic of teasing.

Plus they want people watching and listening to their outlets in the run-up to it. And just turning around and going "Oh, by the way, it's this person" doesn't do that. Maybe it is Sam Ryder. I personally doubt it. But if it is it would be a massive slap in the face to him to just drag him on-air today to say, "Sam is the Eurovision act this year. And the song we played the other day is his song" Or "Oh here he is, and his Eurovision song is this new one that we can't make 'Record Of The Week' because we picked his old one this week and can't do it next week as we already selected someone else/don't want to come across as bias".

There are three different acts that are rumoured to be doing it right now. And there is a distinct possibility that it might not be any of them.

tsegaye

I hope it isn't Space Man if it really is Sam Ryder. It's SO basic and only relying on his voice. If you choose a basic song, at least make it catchy. I really don't like when internal selections choose an act with a song that has been released on beforehand as well, it feels like the song wasn't meant to be chosen as BBC:s Eurovision entry in the first place.

jeriswani

it would work if the staging is him in space or something that would wow me. It’s a song that goes well with very good staging. Would get the family vote for sure. but I doubt Sam Ryder would be up for that.

Top Bottom