Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

HarryUK

Of course the UK will host 2023, the year where I have about 3 weekend weddings in May!!!!
Bloody typical

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Of course the UK will host 2023, the year where I have about 3 weekend weddings in May!!!!
Bloody typical

Easy fix, when the priest asks if anyone has any objections, stand up and ruin the wedding of the couple who dares marry on the final of Eurovision. Then walk out like the absolute queen bitch you'll obviously be feeling like in that moment and get back in time for the final x

HarryUK

Easy fix, when the priest asks if anyone has any objections, stand up and ruin the wedding of the couple who dares marry on the final of Eurovision. Then walk out like the absolute queen bitch you'll obviously be feeling like in that moment and get back in time for the final x
I'm feeling an Armenia 2016 entrance but as an exit

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Hes even been to San Marino on his promotional tour. LINK

They really are taking him all over, wow. Hes done so many TV appearances and even public events in the streets and such. He posted about one in Berlin earlier.

Mainshow

Veteran
A friend of mine bumped into him on the streets of Berlin and was able to take a picture with him #jealous

I'm really surprised that Sam visited Germany. We didn't have any pre-parties around...it must have been something else

Rocket man

"Spaceman" is on the Radio 1 playlist, it's C-list but still this is actually a big deal. When was the last time a UK Eurovision song achieved that? Possibly Blue "I Can" in 2011?

I sense that Sam Ryders's record company Parlophone are timing this well, a real build up to the contest.

ChiversLookDivine

"Spaceman" is on the Radio 1 playlist, it's C-list but still this is actually a big deal. When was the last time a UK Eurovision song achieved that? Possibly Blue "I Can" in 2011?

I sense that Sam Ryders's record company Parlophone are timing this well, a real build up to the contest.

Firstly, the last UK Eurovision entry to be playlisted was actually Precious back in 1999.

Personally, I think the Radio 1 playlist actually happening is exciting... but not for the reason you think.

Thing is, Radio 1 used to influence the charts, but rather than being trendsetters the station is now more of a signal booster to songs that are already viral/trending in this country. If you look at the Radio 1 playlist it's typically songs that are already charting on Spotify, viral on TikTok, are a new release from the same 4/5 artists (Ed Sheeran or George Ezra, typically), or an album track from a band they back (atm, Foals, Wet Leg, Fontaines DC). Radio 1 doesn't 'make' a song - typically it just pushes an already established song slightly further.

Sam making Radio 1 could be the last boost it needs to make the charts here, or it'll do nothing at all. It's already high on iTunes thanks to Radio 2 playlisting it over a week ago, it's now charting on Shazam so it's clearly getting radio play on local/commercial radio and elsewhere. Making the Radio 1 playlist is no more a big deal than Space Man making MTV's playlist, or Spotify featuring it on a number of UK Pop playlists.

BUT...

There is one reason it's a big deal - and it's inherently about the BBC itself. The last two decades of entries never got playlisted by the main radio station of their own national broadcaster. Hell, when Maneskin won the contest and started charting in the UK with multiple songs it took Radio 1 about three weeks to get around to playlisting it.

Eurovision had a stigma in the BBC. Lee Smithurst talked all about it on that podcast he did the other week with The Euro Trip.

Thing is, Space Man getting playlisted is a really good sign for the continued support of Eurovision in this country. It proves the change of attitude in the BBC towards Eurovision that Smithurst noted in the podcast, that the BBC are actually rallying and backing Sam Ryder. It's a sign of the country getting behind the song with renewed optimism. It's a sign that the BBC have noted Sam's chances of doing well with the backing of his record label around Europe.

And, ultimately, it's a really good sign of continued strong support next year. In my opinion, the chances of BBC going back to TaP next year are 100%. The BBC were scared of Eurovision for a long time, but they needed to realise that a high tide raises all ships. Our Eurovision entry doing well reflects well on the BBC just as much as the artist, their record label, and their management. They shouldn't be scared of accidentally winning with a good song - they should have been scared of finishing last twice in a row and ruining their reputation as a broadcaster. Sam doing well is a win-win-win-win-win for Parlophone, TaP, Sam Ryder, Eurovision itself, and ultimately the BBC.

Last edited:

Rocket man

I can just imagine "Still In Love With You" or "Bigger Than Us" being played on BBC Radio 1 after some grime songs. :ROFLMAO: The cringe!!!!

It's weird but in the 1990's and earlier, I'm sure it wasn't an issue for UK Eurovision songs to get playlisted on BBC Radio 1 but it just changed dramatically from the year 2000 onwards. It's crazy it took this long to actually get to this point but I'm glad UK Eurovision is here now and I'm optimistic for next year's UK entry too.

I just think of all the other possible artists that could have represented the UK when they were relevant at the time if the BBC had the same attitude as they do now, for example artists that openly said they could represent the UK such as Hurts, Chvrches, Katie Melua, Marina and the Diamonds.

Last edited:

Hook2Hook

this one was actually the 1st time that I saw his live performance of this song full set from York Hall, London year ago.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
https://eurovoix.com/2022/04/23/mahmood-blanco-win-songcheck-2022/

So... the UK finished 3rd in the German 'SongCheck' shows - with the highest juryscore out of all 40 entries.
What do we think; does that bode well for the actual contest result, perhaps?

Hope so :)

It's also looks like it could be on track to win the eurojury also. The song 100% seems far more jury friendly than televote, but we will see.

Watch Sam do a Molly and flop. ❤ i refuse to let myself get caught up in the rising expectations.

Remembrance

It's also looks like it could be on track to win the eurojury also. The song 100% seems far more jury friendly than televote, but we will see.

Watch Sam do a Molly and flop. ❤ i refuse to let myself get caught up in the rising expectations.
Oh, I'm with you... I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible, all things considered :LOL:
Still thought, I think there will be a semi-strong televote support due to the song's broader appeal, IMO.

I remember Molly in 2014 quite well - neither the staging nor live vocals were up to scratch... yet we in Denmark still gave her 7 points (and the UK was 5th with the Danish juries and televoters, funny enough). Still happy about that, at least :)

spinachpie

From all the live performances of Sam, I've become slightly worried by his vocals for the high notes... they seem rather weak and low in volume. Hoping he perfects it for the finals.

Kentish

Congrats UK, you are going to do great this year and London 2023 isn't out of the question. People are tremendously underrating his televote potential, Sam has a great personality and people love him. He has over 10 million TikTok followers, and guess what's Eurovision's official app? When people see the staging and he has won eurojury the fomo is going to be huge, they really appear to have nailed the space/solitude theme without going too much overboard. Guessing Sam will be 1-3 in both TV and juries, most likely he'll come just short but there's a clear path to victory for him.

Rocket man

Sam Ryder and his team definitely needs to get his TikTok followers across Europe and Australia ready for the final to vote for him.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Im glad people are enjoying our entry and that it looks like it will do the best we have done in quite a while but I just cant see what others see in it it and that makes me quite sad

Chrisiam

From all the live performances of Sam, I've become slightly worried by his vocals for the high notes... they seem rather weak and low in volume. Hoping he perfects it for the finals.
Yeah I'd like to think that he is just saving himself for when the finals and rehearsals come along. Because I can't say that I remember hearing him actually singing the note at all live, let alone hitting it. May just be my speakers, but it always seems like he is 'taking his foot off the gas' so to speak when that note comes along, doing just enough to let us know he has done it and lets the crowd fill the gap.

Which, I mean, is fine as a 'crowd interaction' thing you do once during like the final chorus, but it seems like he doing it during all of them. But hey, I'm not a music person so I don't know, might just be me being overly critical. That is the default position for most UK fans to be fair.

ChiversLookDivine

I know us Brits are terrified that our entry might do well this year, but attacking Sam's vocals of all things is a bold strategy. We know he can hit those notes, and frankly when 80% of all the singers sounded bad at those pre-parties I don't think you can judge the high notes in his otherwise perfect vocals from those shows.

When the more impartial and knowledgeable voices of Berme Rubio, Jan Bors and Alesia Michelle are calling him the best vocalist in the contest then you have to throw your hands up and admit that they're probably right. My biased British brain is being overly critical right now too so I'm just letting other people drive my opinion on how we're going to do this year.

Anyway, listen to his performance in the Eurovision House Party or some of his past acoustic vocals recorded at the same location (York Hall) for what his high notes sound like when the sound mixing is good. He uses his high notes more like an instrument than a vocal. The sound mixing at pre-parties sucks, the sound mixing at Eurovision tends to be good - plus there are backing vocals this year. Sam isn't just fine, he's going to be good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom