Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

jeriswani

The thing that annoys me if it is Sam Ryder is that he has other better songs which is like always the case with uk artist who have a musically history. They always have MUCH better songs from the past than the one they end up sending to Eurovision. Tiny Riot is so much better 😢.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It hasn't even been announced yet and everyone is already fretting. Calm. It might not even be him or this song lmao

MopManMoss

Veteran
It’s definitely Sam Ryder. The song is ok. Surprised the bookies have it so high though. My problem is they are using the same strategy bmg did.
Thats not how bookies work at all, we're only so high because people are betting on us for whatever reason

hijirio

Veteran
Telling BBC to choose an entry for Eurovision is like telling me to train our national football team.

I'd be as clueless as BBC is with Eurovision.

ChiversLookDivine

Think people are being a bit harsh on Sam Ryder/Space Man potentially being our song, it's not even close to being the extreme beige of our last couple of entries. It sounds contemporary without being just a Capital/Heart song for radio or the backing track for an M&S advert (like Embers), doesn't sound cheaply produced (like Bigger Than Us) and has an actual performer behind it with millions of followers on TikTok and Insta. I admit I wish that it showed off his vocal range more, if it was something closer to an Arcade or even one of Sam's other songs like More or Tiny Riot I think we'd truly be onto something, but this is still a song that juries will eat up.

I think Brits are too negative on the whole, and I know I've been for the last decade, but a quick scour of Twitter and social media looking at the responses to Sam Ryder seem overwhelmingly positive (at least, as far as Google Translate can tell me). I know as Brits we'll just see another "bloke singing safe song" but Space Man is worlds above what we've sent as of late, in terms of both singer and song. All this in a weaker year and I feel a lot more positive. I doubt we'll go from 26th to 1st in a year, I just want to see signs of life in our selection process and this would be a big step.

Having said all this we still need to get over the staging that we've stumbled on every year since Lucie Jones.

It hasn't even been announced yet and everyone is already fretting. Calm. It might not even be him or this song lmao

Waiting for the last 5 pages to become redundant when the BBC announce BBC presenter and TaP talent Chelcee Grimes next week.

ArmpitOfEurope

Space man reminds me too much melodically of the chorus of Gabrielle Aplin's Please dont say you love me

jeriswani

I hope it’s Sam Ryder but I would a different song. Sam is great the best vocally we have had since as long I’ve been watching Eurovision. I’m in love with his voice the song doesn’t show is vocal talent at all.

PashQueerLife

I don't understand the logic of TaP selecting an artist that isn't on their books. All that is doing is generating money for someone else. And it wouldn't be much of an advertisement for their label if they are giving the nod to someone from a different one. And I don't get the logic of the whole 'stealth drop' idea. The BBC loves to huff its own farts when it comes to their selections and loves to go the whole nine yards with the announcements of the announcements of the announcements.

To just randomly reveal it on a Thursday afternoon with no build or hype going into it is just an absurd idea. And whilst it is fun to rag on the BBC for bungling their acts all the time they aren't that stupid. Beyond anything else, the executives behind the scenes want the ego boost of seeing people getting giddy about the act they (helped to) select. They want to see it trending on Twitter and Youtube. Throwing it out like this feels like just have no confidence in the act at all if they don't even do the most basic of teasing.

Plus they want people watching and listening to their outlets in the run-up to it. And just turning around and going "Oh, by the way, it's this person" doesn't do that. Maybe it is Sam Ryder. I personally doubt it. But if it is it would be a massive slap in the face to him to just drag him on-air today to say, "Sam is the Eurovision act this year. And the song we played the other day is his song" Or "Oh here he is, and his Eurovision song is this new one that we can't make 'Record Of The Week' because we picked his old one this week and can't do it next week as we already selected someone else/don't want to come across as bias".

There are three different acts that are rumoured to be doing it right now. And there is a distinct possibility that it might not be any of them.
Regarding the fact that Sam Ryder is signed with UMG, in this MusicWeek article from 2018, when TAP Management rebranded as TAP Music, it states that:

Tap has formed a JV (Joint Venture) with Universal Music (UMG) that enables the company to partner with any UMG label and develop artists as priorities outside the major label system.

If the joint venture is still in place, then it could explain why TAP would be able to work with an UMG artist like Sam, if indeed he is our entrant.

Last edited:

Synergise

I mean, apparently Holly Willoughby also has a big announcement tonight on the One Show? Maybe it's related. Either way, I don't expect them to just shadow-drop it without an official announcement of an announcement, so to speak. If they're going to announce our act through the One Show, surely they'd at least tell us that's when we'd find out.

https://twitter.com/BBCTheOneShow/status/1499746735509360641

cripesdude

So at this stage… an announcement this weekend of an announcement next week?

Chrisiam

I mean, apparently Holly Willoughby also has a big announcement tonight on the One Show? Maybe it's related. Either way, I don't expect them to just shadow-drop it without an official announcement of an announcement, so to speak. If they're going to announce our act through the One Show, surely they'd at least tell us that's when we'd find out.

https://twitter.com/BBCTheOneShow/status/1499746735509360641
Looking online Holly Willoughby will be revealing which eight celebrities taking part in her new show "Freeze the Fear with Wim Hof" (I am not making that up, that is a real thing that is happening. So Chelcee Grimes might well be one of the contestants. And if not, well from what I see the show is doing a fair few things for Comic Relief so she might be doing something connected to one of those features or doing a song for the appeal this year if one hasn't already been selected.

The show listing makes no references to Chelcee Grimes in any capacity. This might support some people's stealth drop ideas, but given that apparently, TaP said a few weeks ago that it would be revealed on the 10th I feel everyone is barking up the wrong tree.

hijirio

Veteran
Something tells me it's Fleur East. Explains the bookies hype as well.

Top Bottom