30 7.7%

21 5.4%

17 4.4%

21 5.4%

22 5.7%

85 21.9%

• Total voters

NemesisNick

Think the UK's ESC 2015 result, 24th out of 27 finalists with just 5 points, in the aftermath of years of poor results means the UK is one of the worst ESC contenders? Well despite the UK's poor showing since 1999 (except 2002 and 2009), the UK is still one of the best countries in the history of the ESC! I've compiled league tables to show you the performance of each country that has ever participated in Eurovision; check this out:

http://nemesis-nick.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/eurovision-song-contest-league-tables.html

tuorem

I guess it's time for me to review the British entry this year :D

Electro Velvet - Still In Love With You

Song: Ok, that is an unusual one. Lots of people said it was just crazy and dumb to send such an entry considering the standing of the British music scene. Well, somehow it certainly was if Brits were looking for some decent final position :D however, I'm glad this song was at Eurovision. Actually, I like it and it may grow on me even more. Personally, I prefer pieces of music like this than bland songs that are considered more in line with British mainstream music scene. Mixing electronic sounds with Charleston (is it Charleston?) was daring and the final product pleases me. This is catchy and different, good job!

Voice: The singers are ok, they have no particular voices but the song is not vocally demanding and they are quite convincing singing it. So nothing wrong imo. Their performance was good as far as I remember and they seemed to have fun, so I approve.

Staging: I guess it was quite dark with glowing things here and there (I've only watched the performance once, don't shoot me :lol:), yet it was colorful enough to match the right atmosphere. Nothing wrong in this regard either :)

Outcome: I didn't expect anything from the UK this year, so I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised to enjoy their entry. The outcome, however, is no surprise: it was just too weird for people + it's the UK, so it had to end with 5 points. But I don't agree with this outcome (like lots of songs this year), they should and could have done way better. Even though my personal ranking isn't set in stone yet, I guess the UK has just reached my top 10. I still like "Children Of The Universe" better, but this one is probably the second best Brit entry since I've started watching the contest in 2009. :)

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

esc87fan

Alex joined a Eurovision group on Facebook that I belong to, and he's doing a crowdfunding campaign to launch a solo album. And today, he revealed that he's going to be a dad in the new year - it's going to be a girl!

MyHeartIsYours

Alex joined a Eurovision group on Facebook that I belong to, and he's doing a crowdfunding campaign to launch a solo album. And today, he revealed that he's going to be a dad in the new year - it's going to be a girl!
I seen his crowdfunding thing - you can pay to chat to him for a few minutes on Christmas Day if you want. Have to say don't think that'd be top of Xmas list :lol:

So happy for him becoming a dad though!! :D

Brandt

Could you give a link? I would like to send him a message saying I really liked their entry and they didn't deserve that result. But still the full half of the glass is that we get to know him and his song etc.

NemesisNick

For several years now many people have expressed their views about the UK's poor performance in Eurovision. Face it, since 1999 the UK has had a poor run, with the exception of 3rd in 2002 and 5th in 2009. Last year (2015) Electro Velvet's "Still In Love With You" finished a disappointing 24th out of 27 finalists, with just 5 points, whereas Sweden (one of the Nordic countries) achieved its 6th victory to-date: Måns Zelmerlöw - "Heroes" - 365 points.

People have tended to blame the UK's poor track record since 1999 on political voting, and the belief that "everyone in Europe hates the UK". Can that really be true though? Might it be down to the UK's choice of artist and/or song, and performance quality?

To play devil's advocate, just suppose last year Måns Zelmerlöw had performed "Heroes" on behalf of the UK (instead of Sweden), and Electro Velvet had represented Sweden (instead of UK) with "Still In Love With You". There would have been two critical differences: a) Måns Zelmerlöw would have then been directly qualified to the final; hence he'd have had to make do with a clip of a preview video near the end of each semi-final (just like France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria and Australia); b) Electro Velvet would have had to have performed live for Sweden in the 2nd semi-final Thursday evening to stand a chance of being in the final Saturday evening.
Some questions to set you thinking:

1) Would Måns Zelmerlöw, performing for the UK, have still won with such a large margin against the runner-up with his song "Heroes" and its animated drawings?
2) Would Electro Velvet, performing for Sweden, have even made it to the final, let alone got a high placing (especially if they performed in the same quality of voice in Thursday's semi-final as they did when they actually performed for the UK in Saturday's final)?

In other words, did the UK do badly because others didn't like the artist, song and/or singing quality, or did they not vote because they hated the UK on political grounds?

Personally I (as a UK citizen) didn't think much of "Still In Love With You"; I guessed it was doomed to failure from the moment I first saw the preview video online last March.

esc87fan

From Alex on Facebook:

Bloody hell! I disappear for an hour and you've only gone and smashed the Pledge target!
The album will happen. My twenty-one year dream will happen thanks to all of you.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I'm truly, truly grateful.
You can still pre-order the album for £8 and 10% of the proceeds go to The Cystic Fibrosis Trust. You can get it here: www.pledgemusic.com/alexlarke

Blimey!!!!

I like the choice of charity since Bianca (the other half of EV) has CF

ayzelto

For several years now many people have expressed their views about the UK's poor performance in Eurovision. Face it, since 1999 the UK has had a poor run, with the exception of 3rd in 2002 and 5th in 2009. Last year (2015) Electro Velvet's "Still In Love With You" finished a disappointing 24th out of 27 finalists, with just 5 points, whereas Sweden (one of the Nordic countries) achieved its 6th victory to-date: Måns Zelmerlöw - "Heroes" - 365 points.

People have tended to blame the UK's poor track record since 1999 on political voting, and the belief that "everyone in Europe hates the UK". Can that really be true though? Might it be down to the UK's choice of artist and/or song, and performance quality?

To play devil's advocate, just suppose last year Måns Zelmerlöw had performed "Heroes" on behalf of the UK (instead of Sweden), and Electro Velvet had represented Sweden (instead of UK) with "Still In Love With You". There would have been two critical differences: a) Måns Zelmerlöw would have then been directly qualified to the final; hence he'd have had to make do with a clip of a preview video near the end of each semi-final (just like France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria and Australia); b) Electro Velvet would have had to have performed live for Sweden in the 2nd semi-final Thursday evening to stand a chance of being in the final Saturday evening.
Some questions to set you thinking:

1) Would Måns Zelmerlöw, performing for the UK, have still won with such a large margin against the runner-up with his song "Heroes" and its animated drawings?
2) Would Electro Velvet, performing for Sweden, have even made it to the final, let alone got a high placing (especially if they performed in the same quality of voice in Thursday's semi-final as they did when they actually performed for the UK in Saturday's final)?

In other words, did the UK do badly because others didn't like the artist, song and/or singing quality, or did they not vote because they hated the UK on political grounds?

Personally I (as a UK citizen) didn't think much of "Still In Love With You"; I guessed it was doomed to failure from the moment I first saw the preview video online last March.

The result would have been pretty much the same. Still in love with you was an average song (I personally liked it) but the performance in the live final was outdated, out of tune, cheesy and messy. After that performance I really thought it would end up with 0 points. I think if it had been sent by Sweden it would have not make it through the finals for sure, but obviously the fact Sweden has more neighbors than the UK gives the country sort of advantage. Still, without a good song a good result is impossible.
However, the same happens to my home country, Spain. In the last 10 years we have just achieved 2 top 10 (in 2012 and 2014) and most of the years the result has been more than disappointing. I don't think we should blame Europe, we just need to send more quality and know how to make a good show, that's it.

Fluke

So, no album? No new songs? What happened?!?

bstream

Ok so last night I had dream about our performance. It was male and female duet...The song started with the guy running on stage with the lighting and LED Screens designed to look like hes running down a street...The BBC might as well start organising 2016 now.

Really not that far off at all.

Top Bottom