Contact us

Three minutes

Is mainstream music being 3 minutes or lower a good thing?

• Yes

1 20.0%
  • No

2 40.0%
  • On the fence

2 40.0%

• Total voters

Loindici

Veteran
Since online streaming services flourished, songs tend to be shorter nowadays, being 3 minutes or lower in duration...

... which coincidentally is the usual limit for modern Eurovision songs.

What do you think of the shift in duration? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Does it affect Eurovision in any way?

Let me hear your thoughts below!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It really depends song to song imo. Although I think more often than not with short songs you feel like they've ended up too quickly. I notice in some countries more than others you'll find mainstream music is around 2:40 or even less.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
It honestly depends. I'm a garage rock/punk fan and typically these songs have always been fast and short, often way under the three minute mark. I've been noticing though recently that songs from other genres I enjoy have been getting shorter and shorter. My favourite hip hop artist Sadistik is shooting out multiple mini albums a year like confetti. There will be about seven tracks on them. One will be four minutes, another three and then the rest of the record is full of these little two minute songs that have just a single verse and a chorus if I'm lucky. They sound amazing but I'm just left so hungry for more, and I have to keep hitting the replay button (maybe that's the point?).

I've just completely ignored the question though as you asked specifically about mainstream music being shorter than three minutes. I think a song should be as long as it needs to be. No more and no less.

Mainshow

Veteran
This trend annoys me a lot since they somehow get rid off the last chorus ("Say My Name" by David Guetta) or they delete the entire middle 8 ("i'm so tired..." by Troye Sivan). It sucks - Troye even admitted that they recorded a middle 8 part (they even performed it live) but it just got cut on the official release due to "being more suitable for Spotify".

I hate Spotify, I hate all the young fans not being able to listen to any songs which last for 2:50 or longer.

I don't mind short songs - I mean, I am a fan of Eurovision but mostly, these songs have been produced to be that "long/short" on purpose but most pop music nowadays seems to be so "forced" to be short in order to have a high replay value...but some of them would clearly profit from having a longer outro/chorus in the end or some interesting elements (as part of a Middle 8 part).

Top Bottom