Contact us

The victories of the next 10 years are already certain

rajo

Hi there! :)

How dare I say that the victories of the next 10 years are already given away?

Well, look at this map:

And now look it these records, starting with the era of overall televoting in 1999:

Winners:
1999 - Sweden
2000 -Denmark
2001 -Estonia
2002 -Latvia
2003 -Turkey
2004 -Ukraine
2005 -Greece
2006 -Finland
2007 -Serbia
2008 -Russia
2009 -Norway
2010 - Germany
2011 - Azerbaijan
2012 - Hot Favourites: Sweden Russia Serbia Spain

Do you miss something? I definitely do: it's any country that would've been highlighted in a lightblue colour!

What do these countries in the list have in common? Well, most obviously they won, but most important for me, they all belong to some sort of voting points generating families. And also hard to deny, most of them (not all for sure) were rather generic and the victory felt not fairly justified (outstanding example, Russia 2008).

So it's easy to predict these colour patterns live on for the next 10 years at least. Why is that?

The red family: 2 become 16

I appreciate the fall of communism and the rise of democracy in the former USSR and I fancy the new born countries. I also appreciate the fall of communism throughout Eastern Europe as a whole, and also for Yugoslavia. But I don't see a point in splitting up into small countries, just because there is no religious consent? Well, let's not get too political here.

Within the red blocks the countries fancy each other and high points are always shared, come what may.

Of course, some profit more, some less, because of extra connections due to diaspora voters who miss there home countries most, when it's Eurovision time. Some countries of these blocks just don't have diaspora at all, but also do their part to keep the precious points within the family.

Most advantages always for Bosnia & Hercegovina (diaspora, and ethnic constituency: Croatians, Serbians and Muslims), Serbia (lots of diaspora throughout Europe), Russia (big mother, favoured by ethnic constituencies of their satellites), Ukraine (second flavour within the ex USSR) and Azerbaijan (extra ties with the Turkish people).

I wouldn't be surprised, if 5 winners within 10 years came from these two families.

The blue family: our lovely neighbours!

The Scandinavians favourite sports is Eurovision, and the second most favourite sports is loving their neighbours - a lot! They have a lot of love to give! So it's no wonder, that the northernly countries who brought us generic schlager sounds, managed to bring the ESC trophy quite often to old Europe. Each of them once since 1999, except for Iceland, who also played well in recent history.

We can take it for granted to welcome Eurovision 3-4 times in Sweden and its lovely neighbours within the next couple of years.

Better off alone

Greece and Turkey are not family, of course. What they have in common is an island called Cyprus. But what makes them so strong, is rather not their generic ethnic music, but their huge diaspora throughout Western Europe. And if Turkey fails, then Azeri music tastes also good.

I think Greece should put more effort into Eurovision, because their entries get weaker every year, but they still qualify so easily. They got sniffy and should try harder!

Still, there is always a chance for a Greek and Turkish win!

No party without us

The old hags of Western Europe with the big money in the purse award themselves for being so generous to the EBU by passing directly into the final each year. This doesn't grant success automatically, but it lifts the chances, since there is not qualifying round. Well, Germany's victory 2010 was very well deserved, but still a big surprise, since it is - Germany. It was a refresher for Eurovision to see Germany win, although I wouldn't bet on a Big 5 win for the next ten years. Though it seems like Italy could be the jury's flavour to keep them motivated to stay in.

A problem on the horizon: What if Turkey, Russia and maybe Ukraine decided one day to claim to be "big" too?

It would spare out winning and qualifying chances for the rest, if this wish was granted.

And what about us???

Has someone counted how often and regularly Portugal, Andorra, Monaco, Belgium, the Netherlands, San Marino, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Albania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Malta and Israel failed to qualify or even got last?

I can guarantee you, one of them will be the last of the results list every year and find its way into the Guiness Book of Records for the most failed participations in a row, longest period without any victory at all or the most last places ever. The next one who quits the Eurovision will also be one of them.

Why is that? Are these countries worse than the others?

What more do they have common? Exactly, none of them is part of any sort of family. Their being together and splitting up has been so long ago, nobody can't remember.

I spared out Romania, because it seems like they have a stronghold in South Western Europe. I don't know if it's the diaspora, the similar language or just the "awesome" music.

And what about you?

Have your say!

:)

doctormalisimo

*yawns*

Your little essay is flawed. While I do sort of see where you're coming from (I still cant believe Russia won in 2008), this is largely bs...

Norway 09: You cant say that won just because it's a member of a voting block. It got points from every single country, and 16 12's from all across Europe.

Germany 10: The idea that Germany won because it's a big 5 country is just laughable.

Serbia 07: Molvitva is one of the all-time fan favourites. It is generally regarded one of the best winners ever, and again, it got points from all over Europe.

Finland 06: Again, just like Norway, this didnt win because it's a Nordic country, it won because it was new, different and very energetic and catchy, and appealed to a different sort of ESC fan, and got points from all across Europe again...

Ukraine 04: Once again, this got points from all but one country. Unless Andorra, Estonia, Cyprus and Ukraine have formed a secret voting pact :?

You cant predict the winner in advance of hearing the songs. Yes, countries like Russia, Serbia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine always do well, but you havent accounted for someone like Austria or Portugal sending their very own Rybak or Lena. Yes, there is political and block voting going on, but at the end of the day, it is a music contest and the best song ALWAYS* wins, whether that song be from Azerbaijan, or Germany, or Norway. And who knows, maybe Russia might send an Emmy next year and fail to qualify...

*Note: Russia in 2008 was a horrible winner that did win as a result of block voting. Once.

rajo

Hello there. Finally someone found his way to the backyards of this forum :)

I don't think my "analysis" is too biased, when I refer to the bias of the outcome of recent ESC's.

Look, Norway was a once in a lifetime victory, could have happened to any other country as well, but it was still Norway, and thus a country of the lovely neighbours block, which wins every 2 years.

Germany was a very welcome break in the winning routine. For me, my best winner since 1999 and being Big 5 is not the reason for winning. It just secures the finals spot. Have I said that Big 5 are actual winners? Read again :)

Finland, still welcome to our lovely neighbours. :) Things look different in the rear view mirrow and I guess I have point here.

Ukraine 04 was the winner of a very, very Easternly competition and the 3rd Ex USSR winner in 4 years. Same for Serbia in 2007. Molitva was certainly a worthy winner, but if it wouldn't have been Serbia, another red family member would have won in this most Easternly competition ever. I made an analysis once back in that time, that saw Hungary as the real winner.....

And 2008 saw the topping with a very generic song.

A-lister

Veteran
But I don't see a point in splitting up into small countries, just because there is no religious consent? Well, let's not get too political here.

Ehm? Ever heard of different nationalities? Anyways I'll comeback with a comment on the rest later on, but this comment was a bit ignorant imho.

Fluke

I do find it interesting that the East European countires that haven't ever won the ESC are the ones that form a "belt" between the ex-Soviet and former Yugoslavian nations. I know OP's map doesn't show which countries have won and not, but come to think of it, none of these countries have won, or usually have very good results in the contest at all. It's not so much East European countries overall that dominate the ESC, as much as it is specifically former Yugoslavian and ex-Soviet countries that do, the ones "in the middle" haven't benefited much from it at all.

rajo

I know, but I don't wanted to write a masterthesis on that.

Nonetheless there are nations which can sustain different nationalisties, and then there was a south slavonic nation sharing the same language, that couldn't.

Russia for example sustains countless nationalities, but on the Balkan each one needed its own government.

rajo

I do find it interesting that the East European countires that haven't ever won the ESC are the ones that form a "belt" between the ex-Soviet and former Yugoslavian nations. I know OP's map doesn't show which countries have won and not, but come to think of it, none of these countries have won, or usually have very good results in the contest at all. It's not so much East European countries overall that dominate the ESC, as much as it is specifically former Yugoslavian and ex-Soviet countries that do, the ones "in the middle" haven't benefited much from it at all.

Thanks for getting the point! It's not Eastern Europe vs. Western Europe.

It's a ping pong between Scandinavia and two ex-countries which became 16 countries (still counting) and diaspora countries (GRE, TRK).

The small countries of Western AND Eastern/Central Europe as well as the dwarf states and mediterranean islands don't stand a chance at all! It's always these, who struggle and fail. But it's a surprise when Turkey or Armenia fail to qualify. But it's no surprise if Netherlands, Poland etc. fail, because we are already used to it since a decade!

Tinchey

Russia for example sustains countless nationalities, but on the Balkan each one needed its own government.

I really can't describe how I feel right now. Don't know if it is rage or laughter. Well I agree that every nationality deserves a nation/country but at the same time some of those ethnic groups (if I may call them that way) have long history of existance as sovereign and independent kingdoms/republics and some never had that as they were under control of others (not saying that they should be ruled by any other nation). But they eventually resolved their problems and earned full independance and sovereignty. If you really speak Serbo-Croatian or Slovenian or Macedonian you would be able to speak about the differences between those languages as completely different and unique. Although Croatian and Serbian seem to be the same, they're not because the grammar is completely different as well as the dialects. That should be respected. I'm Croatian and I don't speak Serbian but Croatian. Take care. ;)

MyHeartIsYours

I just raise issue with the "hot favourites" this year, the United Kingdom is the fourth favourite, Spain is about 8th/9th! ;)

Mickey

What strikes me about the areas coloured in blue, red and purple, is that they're the places where ESC is taken most seriously and where the broadcasters put in most effort to produce a strong entry.

Coincidence?

rajo

You're gonna like this one (just kidding, of course you are gonna dump it) :

Jury results of 2011 - ITA - AZE - DEN - SLO - AUT

Actual results of 2011 - AZE - ITA - SWE - UKR - DEN - AUT #18 (televote #24)

And:

Different countries would have qualified from the semi finals had these been based solely on the results of the televote (as in the years prior to 2010) or the jury vote. Had the results been solely based on televoting, Armenia, Norway and Turkey would have qualified for the Final from Semi Final 1 (instead of Lithuania, Switzerland and Serbia) while Belarus would have qualified from Semi Final 2 (taking the place of Estonia). Had the results been solely based on the jury vote, San Marino and Malta would have qualified for the Final from Semi Final 1 (in the place of Georgia and Russia) and Belgium and Slovakia would have qualified from Semi Final 2 (replacing Bosnia-Herzegovina and Moldova).

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
That is why the juries were re-introduced in 2009 and I'm a big opponent of that.

I guess we have to check this thread in 10 years to see who was right ;)

rajo

So you say televoting is very democratic, right?

What's so democratic about voting for neighbours and for home countries? That is why juries were brought back to balance this effect. It's still not perfect, but even Big 5 would have already withdrawn. We all could easily guess!

The televotes backed ex-YU and ex-USSR yet again in 2011, and friendless countries had to step aside in Semifinals.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
No, I said I'm in favor of juries.

All I'm saying is we'll bump this thread in 10 years to see who was right about this :)

rajo

Okay, I see :)

Televoting is a call for money masquerading as a democratic means of participation. But the "democracy of Eurovision" is screwed up.
Juries always expressed a more balanced opinion, and friendless countries always had their chances.

Mickey

Different countries would have qualified from the semi finals had these been based solely on the results of the televote (as in the years prior to 2010) or the jury vote. Had the results been solely based on televoting, Armenia, Norway and Turkey would have qualified for the Final from Semi Final 1 (instead of Lithuania, Switzerland and Serbia) while Belarus would have qualified from Semi Final 2 (taking the place of Estonia).

Fixed

rajo

Thanks for fixing it, Mickey. So it's more obvious that Switzerland was screwed. Poor Switzerland, having the worst record since introduction of Televoting. But it's easier to achieve since you are "friendless" :(

Mickey, would you mind fixing the rest as well? Thank you! :)

rajo

The history of Eurovision bottom 5 places --- 1999 to eternity

1999: ESP - CYP - POR - LIT - FRA
2000: BEL - FRA - ISR - CYP - SUI
2001: NOR - ICE - IRE - POL - LTV
2002: DEN - LIT - SUI - GER - FIN
2003: GBR - MLT - LTV - SLO - POR
2004 F: NOR - IRE - BEL - AUT - NED
2004 SF: SUI - SLO - MNC - BLR - AND
2005 F: GER - FRA - GBR - ESP - UKR
2005 SF: LIT - MNC - AND - BEL - AUT
2006 F: MLT - ISR - FRA - ESP - MLD
2006 SF: AND - BLR - MNC - NED - POR
2007 F: IRE - GBR - FRA - LIT - ESP
2007 SF: CZE - AUT - BEL - MLT - ISR
2008 F: GBR - POL - GER - FIN - CRO
2008 SF1: SMR - EST - BEL - AND - IRE
2008 SF2: HUN - CZE - BLR - LIT - CYP
2009 F: FIN - ESP - LIT - MLT - SWE
2009 SF1: CZE - BEL - BUL - AND - SUI
2009 SF2: LTV - SVK - NED - SLO - HUN
2010 F: GBR - BLR - IRE - MLD - CYP
2010 SF1: LTV - SVK - MCD - EST - POL
2010 SF2: SUI - SLO - BUL - NED - CRO
2011 F: SUI - EST - ESP - HUN - FIN
2011 SF1: POL - POR - NOR - SMR - CRO
2011 SF2: NED - CYP - LTV - MCD - ISR

friendless: 66
Big ones: 18
red ones: 29
blue ones: 10

Wow, finally some statistics, which show the "friendless countries" scoring pretty well - it's the bottom 5 placers' list!
Even better with the semifinals... whereas the finals are more of an unhappy event for Big 4 countries so far.

Well, even Ex-YU and Ex-SSR countries are in the list, but always the same: Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia.... so they are actually friendless receiving-wise, but they are still good family members giving-wise.

Top Bottom