Contact us

The professional Jury Thread 2022

Realest

Surprised that noone opened it until yet.

Lets discuss all Highlights/Trivia/Fun Facts/ Scandals about this Years Juryvoting.

Bobjan FR

And now, the results of eurovision 2022 but with the voting system of 1957 (One juror = one point )

No surprise with Serbian juries, always failthful and bowing down to russia.
Ehh.. what?

Serbian juries put Manizha on 17th place.
Serbian juries put Lazarev on 14th place.
Serbian juries put Julija on 14th place in the semi.
Serbian juries gave 1 point to Lazarev while awarding their 12 to Jamala.
Serbian juries gave 10 points to Polina, but that song was almost 2nd place with juries overall.

LoveHate

Without international juries Chanel and Cornelia would not have been selected to take part in Eurovision.

But juries did not want Moldova in the final.

I don’t know how to feel.

mitch67

The juries did an amazing job and without them this Contest would become trash again. All the joke acts did well in the televote. Like in the dark ages of Eurovision. Thank god the juries exist.
to be honest:

the problem of trashy entries is not the absence of juries but the problem of the country that decides to choose them to represent their country. and actually: Juries should be able to judgea song by its quality and not give pity points because of a war taking palce for a song they would otherwise not give points to.

Storm

Without international juries Chanel and Cornelia would not have been selected to take part in Eurovision.

But juries did not want Moldova in the final.

I don’t know how to feel.

I say that every year: just accept that it's the best compromise and move on. We tried everything else and it was worse. :LOL:

Mainshow

Veteran
to be honest:

the problem of trashy entries is not the absence of juries but the problem of the country that decides to choose them to represent their country. and actually: Juries should be able to judgea song by its quality and not give pity points because of a war taking palce for a song they would otherwise not give points to.
"Stefania" IS NO TRASH SONG.

You may not like it (fair enough, music is subjective) but it´s a well-crafted folklore/rap song, perfectly produced - it stood out, got a memorable and catchy chorus, showcased some culture (unlike generic radio-friendly songs which sounds like they could have been from everywhere) and it got accompanied by a mesmerising and memorable staging.

The juries placed Ukraine in their lower Top 5.

midnightsun

Veteran
I wondered why the German jury gave Azerbaijan so many points, we usually never do that, even their runner-up in 2013 was only 8th in the Germany jury.

I wasn’t surprised though when I found out that "Fade to black" was written, amongst others, by a German ESC pre-selection candidate (2018).

Oh well… German jury does this kind of subtle manipulation all the time. Just like they all shared the same #1 in the years 2013-2018.

Germany is not the only one though. Many countries do these subtle or not so subtle ;) manipulations. EBU should start looking closer. But they don’t care.

Usually, juries do a crappy job. This year though I am glad they did the right job. They appreciated a good dance performance as much as good voices.

The only thing that I despise is that the juries of the favourite countries didn’t give any points to Ukraine. I hate when they do that. It’s been common the past years it seems. I hope this does not continue.

Himan

+ :it: :nl: :gr: (at some point these countries were all high in the betting odds)

Yeah, that‘s really shady and sad.
Checked the Dutch jury. Seems legit honestly. I mean Greece, Sweden, UK and Spain got points from us.

Some of these posts are just silly.. this was probably the most jury-friendly final we ever had.

If :se: wanted to downvote one of their rivals, it doesnt make sense that they heavily rewarded the other ones by giving 12 to Spain and 8 to UK.
Their jurors put Ukraine on pos 8, 10, 11, 12 and 12 which didnt result in points for them.

:uk: juries gave 12 to Sweden and 10 to Spain, so again other main competitors got heavily rewarded. Their jurors put Ukraine on 7, 11, 14, 16 and 20. Italy (who people said had a much better jury final) was put on 4, 8, 16, 16 and 21. Not much better.

:es: juries gave 10 to Italy, 7 to Sweden and 3 to UK. They are the ones who probably did have Ukraine the lowest of these with 13, 14, 19, 22. 23.

:it: gave 7 points to Ukraine in the semi. In the final three (!!) jurors put Ukraine into their top 10. Italy clearly didnt even want to win again this year, so it wouldnt make sense to downvote the other favourites. They have always been voting weird. This year they gave no points to Sweden and Spain as well, but 3 to UK.

:nl: gave 8 points to Ukraine in the semi. In the final they still had Ukraine on 6, 8, 8, 14 and 15. They didnt give high points to the other favourites (5 to Spain, 4 to UK and 1 to Sweden), but its just silly to assume there was any strategic voting involved.

:gr: gave 3 points to Ukraine in the semi. In the final they put Ukraine on 10, 13, 13, 16 and 18. They had both Sweden and UK even lower, but did give 5 points to Spain.

I could also just handpick certain votes like :ua: putting Spain on 12, 18, 22, 22 and 24. On the other hand they did reward UK with 12 points. So I guess it just happens that certain entries arent to every jurors taste.
And while :rs: did have Ukraine on a 20th place overall, Ukraine placed Serbia on their last place.

I find it weird that certain countries get called out for not giving jury points to Ukraine, but if its a country like :ee: or :fi: it gets accepted?

Last edited:

heke1988

I like how our jury gives :se: points, but we don't get any points from them:D.

mitch67

"Stefania" IS NO TRASH SONG.

You may not like it (fair enough, music is subjective) but it´s a well-crafted folklore/rap song, perfectly produced - it stood out, got a memorable and catchy chorus, showcased some culture (unlike generic radio-friendly songs which sounds like they could have been from everywhere) and it got accompanied by a mesmerising and memorable staging.

The juries placed Ukraine in their lower Top 5.
in no way have I said that I consider Stefania a trash song...

I just referred to the statement that "trashier" entries would be seen more on Eurovision when juries would be abolished.

The problem was: Some countries sent trash song to Eurovision, and trashy entries also flopped with televote

Last edited:

mitch67

and I still say: many points by the jurors were as well out of sympathy or support for Ukraine
I doubt the juries would have given the same amount of points to the Ukraine if we were not having a horrible war in Europe.
and the rather low jury points for Go-A last year, whose song followed a similar concept as Kalush Orchestra are obvious...

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
It's kinda interesting to see people discussing whether the televote would have been so different had a war not occurred yet nobody says a word about the jury votes.

And honestly I side with Mitch on this one. It doesn't mean the song is bad or anything, but we all know juries' scores to hip hop + less commercial/more different/experimental entries is not the best one. I personally struggle to see they placing it above Portugal/Greece/Netherlands/Australia/Azerbaijan. I would imagine a scenario similar to what happened to Konstrakta this year and Go_A last year (around 9th-12th with the juries and 1st-4th with the televote).

Of course this is all a speculation and we won't ever know the truth unless someone has a machine to teleport us to an alternative universe

mitch67

and why did the juries downvote the outstanding Serbian entry? thid was also well performed and memorable.

People who proffesionally deal with music should be able the value such performances even if it is not their personal genre.

Top Bottom