Contact us

The New Asia Based Contest - Discussion

hawadharma

I don't want to be negative but Orient Matsuri is a horrible name. It sounds like a fake shoe brand.

tenor.gif
*crying in Japanese because it's true but cannot do anything about it

Uto

Veteran
@DenizESC So... is the point of this to create a safespace where you'd run away from poor results? That's not convincing at all. If, however, the goal is to expose people to Asian/African/whatever music, then NSC/WV is the perfect place for it. That's what we all do - send songs we want others to hear, they might otherwise never do. Without a whole separate forum to cater to us. That might easily turn into some sort of a filter bubble.

NSC isn't the perfect place for exposing people to Asian music. They don't seem particularly interested and it takes ages to actually get in there. WV is much better but still, seems like it's not the correct audience for it. Also, the perceived opportunity cost for moving in WV is pretty big. Let's say you are, I dunno, Denmark. You have shortlist of like 50 songs. You move to Tajikistan to send some stuff you like from there. Want to return to Denmark? Can't, is taken, have to be Sjaelland then. Half your shortlist ruined. These risks aren't huge, but moving around is still perceived as very risky. OM tries to address all these things.
@anaraqueen What I don't like here is that you seem to victimize Asian music specifically. To me that victimization is not any more valid than any other you could conclude by thorough analysis of contest results here. Specific genre like hiphop may be a more narrow category than a continent, but there's also plenty of categories just as broad or broader. Vocalist's gender, for example. Or age. Or slow vs fast. Or major vs minor key. Or the track's length. "Hiphopvision" might not be a popular idea but "Oldiesvision" for songs made before 2000 would definitely have no less merit than Asiavision/OM. I'm not suggesting to create Oldiesvision, however, because I believe there's place for such songs in already existing contests, without the need for a safespace.
Fair enough, valid point in general and one good example given with hiphop. I can absolutely imagine that there would be demand for hiphopvision so to speak. They would be in a similar predicament as the asiamaniacs. Rebuttal is that the demand for an oriental song contest is demonstrable, for others it is not. That is still a key difference even though it isn't grounded in any principles per se. Calling this a 'safe space' is a bit derogatory and it just bastardizes the goal of OM to a single point ana made. The idea of it being a safe space is basically just false reductionist logic. It can be applied anywhere and it shows how devoid of meaning it is. I mean, what is this forum? Does this forum not exist because there is demand for it, demand for a place to discuss Eurovision? Why are we not just a part of a larger forum? Is it because we needed a 'safe space'? No.

Beyond this I agree that the whole acquis of arguments anaraqueen made about Asian music being discriminated against are not really worth much. Lack of Asian songs is demonstrable, but proof for discrimination against them is tenuous at best because you run into the minefield that is subjectivity. As far is it's plausible that she is correct this only seems like a good reason to want this new contest for yourself, not a good reason why anyone else should want it. That said, many people do agree with the sentiment anaraqueen was speaking of.

But this kind of brings us to the core of the matter. The demand is there. Plenty of people have voiced this in the past, plenty of them are doing so now. Whatever their reasons might be, it takes a true cynic to deny people their wishes when there is not good reason to say no. All you have been arguing up till now is how there aren't really good arguments for this contest. I would say that the potential for fun to be had is quite a solid one?

mauve

Veteran
This sounds so much fun! Since I have lived 17 years in Tokyo, the name is perfect. And Japanese Matsuris are really great with Omochis (sort of mellow rice snacks, really tasteful), fishing with little wafer-like sieves ... I miss it! Okay, but that's sort of offtopic since music is the heart here! :)

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I know it's been discussed, voted on and all that, but wouldn't it be simple to make all of Africa full members than keeping them just as associates at this point? When Europe was there it made sense, but now Europe is totally off limits now (right thing) then it seems kind of pointless to have half of Africa as associates. Especially when we can 8 of them as per the rules for the current participants, I don't think we'll ever reach that realistically from them regions of Africa when I'm sure most will focus on Asia.

edit: Just looking at the Participants list, only 1 person is on Africa and that's a full members country even.

Last edited:

Himan

I know it's been discussed, voted on and all that, but wouldn't it be simple to make all of Africa full members than keeping them just as associates at this point? When Europe was there it made sense, but now Europe is totally off limits now (right thing) then it seems kind of pointless to have half of Africa as associates. Especially when we can 8 of them as per the rules for the current participants, I don't think we'll ever reach that realistically from them regions of Africa when I'm sure most will focus on Asia.

edit: Just looking at the Participants list, only 1 person is on Africa and that's a full members country even.
I'm in favour personally :)

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'm in favour personally :)

I do think it makes a lot of sense, unless more regions of the world were given associate membership. To be blunt, Africa isn't a desirable region and the countries people would likely take apart from South Africa are in the fully eligible part. For sure some people will get stuck in finding songs and want to be there but I don't think enough to fill the 8 associate regions each edition.

Top Bottom