Contact us

The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - We have a winner!

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 10 (FINLAND)

:fi:

This soars through a feeling of neon club sign. Dark sounds, great beat, alright music video (wtf is that glittery beard dude tho??) and satisfying vocal delivery. There's something to love in this for at least one detail... it's not like everything Saara touches is instant hate.

wow are we negative

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 1 (SPAIN)

11. SWITZERLAND - Zibbz - Stones

11-SWITZERLAND-850x491.png

Read the "Expert" Panel reviews and vote in the poll here!

Do #YOU agree with our views on Switzerland? What's your opinion? Share your review of the Swiss entry below and we'll feature the best across the main site!​

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 11 (SWITZERLAND)

:ch:

Solid pop rock, the revamp added some misty atmosphere to it as well, like it was some sort of arena rock thing, and I like Corinne's high note abilities. The lyrics are nice too. Sadly will struggle, but if the myths about 5 qualifiers from each half is true then it's likely it has a chance to 'scape through.

Himan

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 11 (SWITZERLAND)

I like the song, I like the staging, but it is a quite generic pop song , so after 19 songs I've totally forgotten about Switzerland. Though Zibbs are in the second half of the show, so if Switzerland ends it, they may have a chance surviving this tough first semi final.

KingDriverFC

My favourite Swiss entry since 2014. It's a good song, with a nice message. The lyrics are good, but I fear its chances due to it being in the first semi-final. But I think if it's near the end of the running order, it stands a decent chance.

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 12 (FRANCE)

:fr:

That typical kind of song you could drink coffee too on a bench while watching the sun down into a lake. So autumnish, cool, and the lyrics are alright too if we abided the controversy for once. Actually bonds well with me now. Overall a completely current package in this day and age and pleasant to listen to. Top 10 I guess.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator

One of the stand out songs of the year, and possibly the best French entry since 1977. I never knew the message behind it when I first heard it, so all I had was the music. It's catchy, but has melodic depth. It's an emotional, almost anthemic piece of music that stirs the soul and may well propel France to victory.

Bibha

Regarding Portugal,
Definitely the best song Portugal has sent this decade ane miles better than the dull entry they sent last year.It has its touch of modernity while showcasing their tradition and a really stirring perfomer in the form of Claudia. Will it do as well as the dullness of last year? Probably not cause it's the host entry and Claudia doesn't seem to be having seizures on stage.

Sean

Admin
Staff member

Couldn't post on the forum yesterday, sorry!

13. PORTUGAL - Cláudia Pascoal - O jardim

received_10214913313607175-850x491.png

Read the "Expert" Panel reviews and vote in the poll here!

Do #YOU agree with our views on Portugal? What's your opinion? Share your review of the Portuguese entry below and we'll feature the best across the main site!​

Soul

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 13 (PORTUGAL)

O Jardim became one of my all-time-favourites the moment I first heard it and that hasn't changed since then even though I tend to get tired of songs very fast (Hey there, Netta!). It's a calm, heartfelt ballad with an ethereal, modern feel and Cláudia really knows how to deliver the needed emotion (these last few seconds...wow!). I don't think it will win, but it will definitely rank higher than the bookies say atm. I'm hoping for a Top 5 result - it would be highly deserved.

Ringdalen

There is no question that this is the best song I have heard from Portugal in Eurovision. It tells a very deep and powerful story in a language most viewers don´t understand. This have the feeling that UK gave me last year, but this song has not been ruined by a awful show-off revamp that sucked out the soul of the whole track. This song is as real as it gets and it´s so awesome to see how Eurovision evolves. I think Portugal is secured a Top 10 spot and I would not be surprised to see them take home the throphy once again.

BernadetteCydonia

:pt:

Watercoloured wonderland with simplistic setup and minor buildup. Isaura's addition livens this song up quite literally because during her part there's some percussion happening.

Kevan1994

Incredibly genuine and easily in my top 10. Yet again, Portugal puts forth a magical entry that transcends language barriers. I have a feeling that France's success will correlate strongly with Portugal's.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 15 (ROMANIA)

A real throwback entry from Romania. Strong 80's vibes, and yet it doesn't feel dated. I'm worried it takes too long to get going, but when it does it really is a fantastic, anthemic number. I'm happy that for a change Romania made a good choice in their selection. Hope to see them in the final!

vicki

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 15 (ROMANIA)

I'll be honest, I'm more of a Ani Lorak/Kalomira/Helena Paparizou kind of fan (I love uptempo dance songs in ESC). When I first heard this song I put it in my top 5 (in the NF) and it climbed in my top because in that time I lost a person close to me and hearing the song and lyrics always brought tears to my eyes.
But I'll be objective: it doesn't stand out unless you are receptive to it. Good instrumental, deep lyrics, great voice but overall an outdated song. But I guess music is ageless in the end so I find this a powerful song when I'm the mood to hear it.
It won't reach any top, it's not a hit but unlike that dreadful outdated song from 2011 (hotel tm-change) this is 1000 times better.

Top Bottom