Contact us

The best version of "I dreamed a dream"

Which version of "I dreamed a dream" is better?

• Ruthie Hernshell

6 100.0%
  • Lea Salonga

0 0.0%

• Total voters

Earthland

"I Dreamed a Dream" is a song from the musical Les Misérables. It is a solo that is sung by the character Fantine during the first act. The song had a resurgence in popularity when Susan Boyle performed it for Britain's Got Talent.

There are two famous versions of it - one by Ruthie Hernshell, who sang it on the Tenth Anniversary Concert Recording, and another by Lea Salonga who sang it on the 25th anniversary concert. I want your opinion which version is better - videos are below:

I personally prefer Ruthie Hernshell. I like her voice more and she just seems more natural, Lea is a horrible over-actor.

P.S I didn't include Susan Boyle's version because she is more well-known and would automatically get more votes without people even listening to Ruthie or Lea.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Interesting, I was expecting to see Susan Boyle's name up there when you posted it.

Les Miserables is my favorite musical of all times...I saw it many times and always loved Ruthie's rendition which to this day is my favorite. She has this beautiful tone and the role of Fantine just suits her so well.

And unlike the mainstream media, I never cared for Susan Boyle or her version of "I dreamed a dream". Is she a good singer? I guess. Is she a great singer? No way.
So Ruthie all the way for me. I loved Lea as Eponine though (when she was younger obviously)

artdeco

Nobody ever came near Ruthie.

Saw her several times a few years ago in Maguerite........she is as exquisite as ever! Her voice is from somewhere else it is that beautiful!

Salmon

I didn't include Susan Boyle's version because she is more well-known and would automatically get more votes without people even listening to Ruthie or Lea.

Who the heck is Susan Boyle?

Reow

I know this is an old topic now, but with Les Mis 2012 coming out I went in search of the 'best' IDaD version and found my way here.

My answer to your poll: Neither. The Salonga version is just horrible (I can't even listen to it all the way through). The Henshall version is too clinical - she lacks the anguish in her voice that makes this song so epic.

ory26

The only good version is the french one!! the first, the best ;)

Rose Laurens : J'avais rêvé d'une autre vie:

Top Bottom