Boys do cry
And how they cry

Mountains they crumble
And rivers, they run dry
And oh-oh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Boys do cry

Sammy

Veteran
Those three minutes felt like an hour. I like slow songs and ballads, but this song just doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the lyrics at all. S10 can sing "uuuuuuuuh aaaaaaah" and I feel that more than whatever he's trying to tell me.
Maybe I just don't like his voice? I generally don't enjoy male singers a lot... those that do have high voices lol.

Sorry Switzerland, no Top 3 spot in my list this time: :2:
That’s what I thought instantly when I read the first negative comments: a male ballad seems to get praise from the majority only as long as there is high pitch and falsetto included… apparently that meets the current „zeitgeist“. .
For me it‘s the other way round: I‘m getting tired of all these weeping boys although in classical music I‘m VERY much into counter-tenors. Paradoxical, innit?:lol:

Mainshow

Veteran
Unfortunately, it´s already dropping in the betting odds. #12 now.

I don´t think it has any chances to win - so it´s about right, I guess - but I think it´s a very charming and classy entry with a few jazz vibes and a very distinctive voice - it will stand out and I strongly believe that this entry would have been more popular amongst fans if Marius were looking more like Michael Bublé or Uku...

ESC94

Unfortunately, it´s already dropping in the betting odds. #12 now.

I don´t think it has any chances to win - so it´s about right, I guess - but I think it´s a very charming and classy entry with a few jazz vibes and a very distinctive voice - it will stand out and I strongly believe that this entry would have been more popular amongst fans if Marius were looking more like Michael Bublé or Uku...

Excuse me, do you really think I´m this superficial?? IOTAP

I couldn´t care less if the performer looks like Buble, Uku or Krystian, if the song sucks I won´t reward higher points only because of good looks. This is the Eurovision Song Contest, not Mr Eurovsision. :rolleyes:

Edit: Ok, maybe the tone was a bit too harsh, but I still think this is a weak argument.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
Excuse me, do you really think I´m this superficial?? IOTAP

I couldn´t care less if the performer looks like Buble, Uku or Krystian, if the song sucks I won´t reward higher points only because of good looks. This is the Eurovision Song Contest, not Mr Eurovsision. :rolleyes:
Not you or anyone on an individual level but it´s common knowledge that "more attractive human beings" are getting more recognition within the society, receive higher salaries for the same work - even "more beautiful students/pupils" get better marks at school (backed up by several studies).

We all have some internalised stereotypes how singers/artists should look like. It is common for people to attribute more favorable traits to people who are "more beautiful/attractive" . We - as a society - apply these traits to people and we - as a Eurovision community - do it as well.

Edit: Of course, I don´t argue that the entry would be getting a lot of 12´s or 10´s instead of the 0s, 1s or 2s it is getting now if Marius was looking like Luca Hänni or Uku - but I believe that the scores wouldn´t be that harsh (since people do rank attractive people more talented, intelligent, dominant...etc.)

aef

Oh Boy… I don’t know where to begin.

This is exactly the kind of song I hate the most. 3 minutes of pointless sing sang. 3 minutes of stolen lifetime. Some might see substance and deep meaning in this, I don’t.

It’s literally the male Victoria songwise.

So :ch: is giving up after three successful years. Just like we did after Cesar in 2018. Maybe you will have your Comeback next year. For this year, so far, the biggest disappointment without any doubt.

:0: points. I’m sorry.

Mainshow

Veteran
Nah, Tom Leeb was a snack but everyone still hated his song.

I completely forgot about his entry :D - Yeah, I agree with you on that one.
Still, I think that Leeb´s entry was the epitome of cheese - a Melodifestivalen reject without any qualities.

This one might be "boring" to some (which is totally fine and understandable) but it slightly got a more "classy", "Michael Bublé" type of feeling, don´t you think? - if "professional" juries listen to both songs without seeing the artists, I really hope for them ranking "Boys Do Cry" significantly higher :D

But yeah, Tom was a great example. We´d all do him but his song was dead upon arrival :D

ESC94

Not you or anyone on an individual level but it´s common knowledge that "more attractive human beings" are getting more recognition within the society, receive higher salaries for the same work - even "more beautiful students/pupils" get better marks at school (backed up by several studies).

We all have some internalised stereotypes how singers/artists should look like. It is common for people to attribute more favorable traits to people who are "more beautiful/attractive" . We - as a society - apply these traits to people and we - as a Eurovision community - do it as well.

Edit: Of course, I don´t argue that the entry would be getting a lot of 12´s or 10´s instead of the 0s, 1s or 2s it is getting now if Marius was looking like Luca Hänni or Uku - but I believe that the scores wouldn´t be that harsh (since people do rank attractive people more talented, intelligent, dominant...etc.)

Well, you can believe this, but I don´t think this way and I find it kinda pretentious to think we only don´t like this song because we don´t get horny because of the singer.

I really like you and consider you as my best friend here in the forum, but for the first time I´m really a bit angry because one of your comments, and it really hurts me to write these lines. :(

Last edited:

Franzilein

Guess this will strongly depend on the live performance. People wrote off Portugal's jazz piece last year as well, wonder if Marius is able to convince in a similar matter. The lyrics contain a just as sweet message.

aef

I bims

Veteran
I completely forgot about his entry :D - Yeah, I agree with you on that one.
Still, I think that Leeb´s entry was the epitome of cheese - a Melodifestivalen reject without any qualities.

This one might be "boring" to some (which is totally fine and understandable) but it slightly got a more "classy", "Michael Bublé" type of feeling, don´t you think? - if "professional" juries listen to both songs without seeing the artists, I really hope for them ranking "Boys Do Cry" significantly higher :D

But yeah, Tom was a great example. We´d all do him but his song was dead upon arrival :D
Oh Tom's song was horrendous, but also the songs Uku Suviste had weren't great (I liked the second one but HATED his first song) and he flopped.

You are not wrong in pointing out that society has a "beauty bias" but the contest has shown time and time again that the song (and staging) does the heavy lifting, being beautiful is just a plus.

One example though, where beauty might carry the whole thing could be Emma Muscat. The whole thing is a whole bunch of nothing but whenever someone talks about it they go:
kennedy-davenport.gif
PZGb.gif

Mainshow

Veteran
Well, you can believe this, but I don´t think this way and I find it kinda pretentious to think we only don´t like this song because we don´t get horny because of the singer.

Sometimes it´s a bit frustrating that you are just referring to a single phrase or sentence of a post.

I´m sorry if I have offended you or anyone else on this forum/this thread.

I have never said that anyone would give this entry extremely low scores on purpose because he isn´t "husband material". I don´t believe that individuals or anyone in this forum would explicitly rank it low. My thesis is just that - having read a lot of such studies - artists who are perceived as more attractive/handsome getting slightly better feedback - these stereotypes don´t have to be negative, btw - they can be positive... it´s just that we - as a society - believe that more handsome/attractive people are more talented, dominant, etc. - I regret having made my comment - since @I bims already correctly pointed out that Tom Leeb got horrible scores on this forum despite him "being a snack" - I still believe that it´s a problem of our societies (and it´s backed up by a lot of studies.. if you´re intersted into that topic, I can provide you some scientific papers/articles on that topic in private) but maybe it´s not showing in this community/on this forum since France 2020 got such a disastrous result.

Mainshow

Veteran
ting out that society has a "beauty bias" but the contest has shown time and time again that the song (and staging) does the heavy lifting, being beautiful is just a plus.

One example though, where beauty might car

You´re totally right again - I think I´ve listened to "Out of Sight" like 15 times already and I can´t remember a single note - the only thing is: "She´s quite pretty" - Seriously, I hope she changes her song.

I´m really interested in how Switzerland will stage this entry because it´s very slow and I can´t really see how they can transfer the atmosphere of that music video onto stage.
Hopefully, Marius won´t be just sitting on a chair :D

Lindon

Oh Boy… I don’t know where to begin.

This is exactly the kind of song I hate the most. 3 minutes of pointless sing sang. 3 minutes of stolen lifetime. Some might see substance and deep meaning in this, I don’t.

It’s literally the male Victoria songwise.

So :ch: is giving up after three successful years. Just like we did after Cesar in 2018. Maybe you will have your Comeback next year. For this year, so far, the biggest disappointment without any doubt.

:0: points. I’m sorry.
Boy, oh boy. You make no prisoners.

ChiversLookDivine

...and Semi-Final 1 breathes a sigh of relief.

I mean, it's not terrible. But considering the bar for slow sad songs is quite high this year I think this will struggle if it makes the final. If it goes on right before or after De Diepte in SF1 it will be a quickly forgotten NQ.

empo21

Veteran
Americavision is really going to kick our asses this year xcry

This is something I'd expect from UK, but Switzerland? Not the Switzerland from the last 3-4 years. Maybe the live would be better, because the studio version is very boring. I'm sorry, zero :1: point

Ezio

Veteran
I didn't press play with any expectations at all. Therefore I am very pleased to announce that I love this song. My new number 2 behind :pl:.

Zwöälfch Pungsch fia dii schwiiz

In all seriousness, this is some unpretentious, mellow and soothing jazz did I want to breathe in with my fullest awareness, and fulfill the room I am in with white light breathing out.

Unlike the German Rockstars which sounds like any song on pop radio for the last 10 years.

Top Bottom